X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or here is what Mack did when he had that problem --

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=motor+mounts
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

• TC & Billy,

Thanks for those links. I've dealt with bad bushings and mounts in my older cars and knew I could come up with a viable replacement. I like the sway bushing idea as I probably have a couple sets of those in the attic.

In order to get back out riding today I used the spare set I had with a couple wraps of electrical tape which tightened them up well. I don't expect that temp measure to last long. I took the bike for a ride and there is a TINY improvement.

Since the rear mounts are going to require a significant amount of disassembly I won't address them immediately. They'll have to wait til after XSSE. I think I can get the fronts done beforehand which should help a little.

At least I know/believe the bike is not about to "GRENADE" as I was getting a little scared....

Hope you guys enjoy the rest of the Labor Day Weekend.... I'm about to take the 11 over to a picnic. My youngest son is driving the Maxim

Sincerely,
      Kurt
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Hey BillyRok,

Thanks for that! Steve made a bunch of tech tips the last few years, guess I missed that one!

I read it, and have a question for MACK, or anyone. I see that the OEM's have flutes. The aftermarket ones as well as the customized ones(aside from Mack's) are solid. Mack went to the trouble of cutting flutes into them.

My question is why are the flutes required, or are they? I am thinking that they allow a little expansion/compression action as part of the dampening affect as the engine flexes in the frame under varying loads. But then I think this same flexing is what causes the wear of the flutes similar to what happened to Kurt's, and that the solid design might not wear as easily/quickly??

I like the simplicity of Mack's parts he used...but am just wondering if it's really necessary to make the flute cuts, or just install them solid !?

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• NO Power - OEM Main Fuse Holder Failed

XS Folks,
          The duck is basically done but I'm still dealing with some minor issues. In prep. for the XSSE I'm replacing some stuff that might be serviceable for a good while, or might not. New throttle and clutch cables installed as a precaution as they appeared to be OEM equipment.

I went to take 'er for a test drive and turned the key to find NOTHING. A little wiggle of the main and she came to life. We're not gonna want to deal with this crap hundreds of miles from home at XSSE.

Cooper/Bussman offers this water resistant ATM fuse holder (Part #BP/HHU) rated at 30amps with enough length on the leads (5" #12) to go all the way to the OEM 2-prong connector. The cap provides a mounting tab that will allow for easy mounting NEAR the stock location using the air filter assy. bolt.

One less thing to worry about and one more check mark on the DONE LIST.

Respectfully,
          KURT
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• Alternative

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
            XS Folks,
            The duck is basically done but I'm still dealing with some minor issues. In prep. for the XSSE I'm replacing some stuff that might be serviceable for a good while, or might not. New throttle and clutch cables installed as a precaution as they appeared to be OEM equipment.

I went to take 'er for a test drive and turned the key to find NOTHING. A little wiggle of the main and she came to life. We're not gonna want to deal with this crap hundreds of miles from home at XSSE.

Cooper/Bussman offers this water resistant ATM fuse holder (Part #BP/HHU) rated at 30amps with enough length on the leads (5" #12) to go all the way to the OEM 2-prong connector. The cap provides a mounting tab that will allow for easy mounting NEAR the stock location using the air filter assy. bolt.

One less thing to worry about and one more check mark on the DONE LIST.

Respectfully,
            KURT
            Hi Kurt, That is a good replacement.

There is another alternative that also works well. I use them in a lot of equipment. Can be used as a tool for finding shorts.

It is an automatic reset circuit breaker. If a short (permanent or temporary) trips it, it will reset automatically. Item can be found at most auto parts stores in 10-30 amp configurations. The terminals can be trimmed off for better fitment. It can be covered with heat shrink tubing to prevent shorting. They are very reliable. Have had them in applications for many years. Much more productive than a fuse.

Last edited by MPittma100; 09-20-2015, 07:03 AM.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• The DUCK is DONE!

The DUCK is DONE!

I wanted to make a final post to this thread to extend a sincere thank you to all of those that provided help with my XS11 “Ugly Duckling” project.

I attended the XSSE Rally with my wife Nancy and “The Duck”. The bike ran basically flawlessly. “The Duck” accumulated slightly less than 900 miles: to, during, and from the rally in rain and sunshine without any issues.

Although I consider myself a skilled mechanic, I did not have the knowledge or experience to pull of turning this bike into a reliable “fun machine” without your help.

Deal's Gap - THE DRAGON!

FUTURE PLANS:
              There are a few minor improvements I would like to accomplish including a big bore kit and maybe even digging into the gearbox to accomplish the 2nd gear mod. I’ll handle any help needed with those items in the normal forum threads.

Now that I have been thoroughly stung by the XS11 bug, I’m scouring the web daily looking for another XS11 restoration candidate!

I also hope to share what I’ve learned with others on the forum whenever possible.

Thanks again for all your guidance!

Very Sincerely,
              Kurt

Kurt Boehringer
              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• Done!

Kurt,

I have followed this thread from the beginning, and I don't think there's any doubt in anyone's mind that you are indeed a skilled mechanic.

Congratulations on a job well done ... The Duck looks great!
                Marco

Current bikes:
                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                1979 Honda CBX
                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

• I wonder if James England got his 100 from here?

If so, the two I bought from him are installed in both my rear wheels and are performing well.

If these are the real deal, I imagine there would be enough of us to order 100 and work out a way to share shipping costs. Just putting this out there as a possible solution to the left rear wheel bearing woes we all have from time to time.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...7.29.48.OMUDz0

Dan.
                  Automotive Imbecile.
                  Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                  '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                  1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stralya View Post
                    If so, the two I bought from him are installed in both my rear wheels and are performing well.

If these are the real deal, I imagine there would be enough of us to order 100 and work out a way to share shipping costs. Just putting this out there as a possible solution to the left rear wheel bearing woes we all have from time to time.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...7.29.48.OMUDz0

Dan.
                    Hey, Dan! Good to hear from you. I'm not on as much, but I was wondering if you fell off the Earth way down under.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• Fuse box

So here's where I moved thins plus i put in a badlands led box.

Comment

• Thought an updated photo of "The Ugly Duckling" would be appropriate for this very old thread.

I drive this bike regularly and it remains my favorite..... These photos taken at the VINTAGE YAMAHA RALLY 2021.

Hard to believe I've had this bike more than eight years!!!!

Been a few minor changes including the Factory Sport Fairing but nothing really big. Bike starts and runs perfectly!
                        Last edited by kboehringer; 06-15-2022, 08:26 PM.
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• I just started on the same journey.... but, so far, I have only found some neglect over time issues without any of the electric "customization" issues you had. Still a great looking bike!
                          79 SF

Comment

• Originally posted by bajagill View Post
                            I just started on the same journey.... but, so far, I have only found some neglect over time issues without any of the electric "customization" issues you had. Still a great looking bike!
                            Good luck with the rebuilding process. It is a lot of fun to do and especially fun when you can drive the thing regularly.

After this one I've finished two more XS11's and am finishing up my 4th. Without a doubt, this one will remain my favorite XS11. Everything just seemed to work out great with this one and as my first real VINTAGE bike, it holds a special feeling.... Damn thing goes like a bad out of hell too.....

Kurt Boehringer
                            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• Thanks... just got in frt n rear tires and (hopefully) my speedo cable by Friday. Getting. So. Close.
                              79 SF

Comment

• Well, you've got your hands full, I'll grant you that.
                                Good to be young.
                                Myself, I've found it's worth the wait to find something that's belonged to someone who cared for that "pristine" bike. The amount of time required ( and money ) to get it into shape I no longer have.
                                I applaud your enthusiasm and look forward to seeing your progress.
                                As far as the wiring harness goes I think you should ask around for one from one of the members here. Just a thought.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	66321010910__F868883B-DE1F-4904-9380-E06CBDF09FA9.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	869144

Comment

Working...
                                X