Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now Hands-On Help Needed Carb cleaning in Tampa Fla.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffintampa View Post
    That is how you adjust the height of the floats isn't it bend that tab down that needle hangs from down to raise the float. My Chilton says 25.7 mm + - 1 mm or 1.04 in I am reset them all to 1" and a 32nd or a hard inch. One that leaked was shy of an inch
    ......not correct for 80 carbs. 23mm is. May wanna study the differences between the 'early' and 'later' carbs info. a bit closer.
    I might add that 'close' ISN'T good enough. All eight floats HAVE to be identical height. The likelyhood of bowl gasket interferring with float is highly likely also. Gasket in place, exacto knife or razor blade and trim the inside on both sides.
    Last edited by motoman; 05-16-2015, 08:08 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Regardless of float height being off, that in and of itself won't dump fuel into the airbox.

I wanna help get the fuel leak fixed, but yes, get the correct float height set if it is not correct. Then check all the stuff I mentioned.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Thanks

Guys I cant tell you how much I thank you for all your help. I tore a bowl gasket taking them off so I am going to slow down a tad and hitch rides to work for a bit. I got the floats all setting just a #### hair below an inch. 23mm is like .902355555555 of an inch. The all seem to be exactly the same. I have new needle valves under them and the sleeve they go into has the screen clean and new o rings.
        Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
        1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Comment

You should be ok putting the pieces of gasket back together, the fibers where the break is, when sandwiched under the bowl cover, will mash out and be a fine seal, IMO. As well, You could use a tiny bit of silicon sealer to hold the break together, let it dry, trim if necessary (but shouldnt have to, because you only used a scosche) then re-use it.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

well it runs

It runs and hasn't leaked anyware yet.

Comment

So, you installed the new parts and are good to go? Awesome!

Does it run GOOD or just run...?
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

runs like *****

Man I tell you I suck at working on my bike it runs terrible dies sounds like its running on 1-2-3 cylinders

Comment

No leaks is a good improvement on where you were...

So, what do you feel could be the issue with crappy running? Any ideas? Wish I was there, could help a whole lot more in person and have that bike running and running well.

Any XS11 fellows in your area?
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                    No leaks is a good improvement on where you were...

So, what do you feel could be the issue with crappy running? Any ideas? Wish I was there, could help a whole lot more in person and have that bike running and running well.

Any XS11 fellows in your area?
                    I wish someone could, I am not real good at working on the bike barly runs

Comment

Any Florida folks nearby that can give Jeff some help!?

Jeff,

I editted your thread title to reflect your need for some hands on assistance!

Hopefully someone near you will chime in and offer to help you out in person!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey guys, anyone down in FLA that could help jeffintampa out?

Anyway, what size main jets are you using and what is the setting on your pilot screws (how many turns out from lightly seated)?

Also...
                        -tell us what color the spark plug insulators are after it has run. Black, white, tan, oily, wet with gas, that kind of thing.
                        -are your intake boots from the carbs to engine secure, I mean no leaks where they are mounted to the engine or where they attach to the carbs.
                        -are the boots from the airbox to the carbs secure in the same way at the airbox and carbs?
                        -are the airbox halves correctly mated together and the air filter is not off-kilter inside?
                        -are the carb sync fittings at the front of each carb capped with vacuum caps, other than #2 (see below)?
                        -is your choke/enrichener lever ALL the way off, just make sure it is.
                        -is the vacuum advance line attached to the #2 carb body and not to the intake manifold boot fitting/nipple? Manifold nipple should feed your fuel vacuum line.

Start with checking that stuff and verifying, we'll go from there.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                          Hey guys, anyone down in FLA that could help jeffintampa out?

Anyway, what size main jets are you using and what is the setting on your pilot screws (how many turns out from lightly seated)?

Also...
                          -tell us what color the spark plug insulators are after it has run. Black, white, tan, oily, wet with gas, that kind of thing.
                          -are your intake boots from the carbs to engine secure, I mean no leaks where they are mounted to the engine or where they attach to the carbs.
                          -are the boots from the airbox to the carbs secure in the same way at the airbox and carbs?
                          -are the airbox halves correctly mated together and the air filter is not off-kilter inside?
                          -are the carb sync fittings at the front of each carb capped with vacuum caps, other than #2 (see below)?
                          -is your choke/enrichener lever ALL the way off, just make sure it is.
                          -is the vacuum advance line attached to the #2 carb body and not to the intake manifold boot fitting/nipple? Manifold nipple should feed your fuel vacuum line.

Start with checking that stuff and verifying, we'll go from there.
                          Well last night and today,
                          I took carbs off. pulled the bowl on 4 was leaking out the air box later on last night. I trimmed the gasket and filed it to no feel, pulled the Seat O ring looked good (put a new one on) Cleaned out the hole it goes in with a Q tip (came out spotless) one drop of 3 in one oil around it, Slide right in screwed the clamp down on it.

Got a piece of paper marked with 2.3mm set every float Perfect, looked a lot better the tab was not as sloped as for the inch. Closed everything up put it on the bike, put fuel to it and gas ran out the airbox again on 4

Pout

Comment

The float isn't getting hung up on the bowl gasket is it? Sounds like you trimmed it off, just thinking out loud.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffintampa View Post
                              ... Got a piece of paper marked with 2.3mm set every float ...

I hope you meant 23mm, not 2.3mm or you'll eventually dump the entire tank of fuel into the airbox and the engine.

-- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yes that is what he meant, he typed 23mm and corresponding inch equivalent a ways back in the thread. He's so dang confuzzled his fingers can't type no mo'.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X