Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now Hands-On Help Needed Carb cleaning in Tampa Fla.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well

Seems like I have the floats close cause it runs pretty good I still have to figure out that Leak on 4 Possible next step SEAT huh? I do have to sort out the throttle cable as I think I boggered it up in our out rubbing on the 3 boot looked funny on the way in but continued anyway figuring there coming out again for the 4 leak fix it then......
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      Yes that is what he meant, he typed 23mm and corresponding inch equivalent a ways back in the thread. He's so dang confuzzled his fingers can't type no mo'.
      Just checking. It's not like I have ever missed a metric measurement, no Sir! Not I! (He says, not quite managing to pull off the smug, superior look on his face).

"Assured, I pressed, 'Enter.' Later, after I regained consciousness...."

Originally posted by Jeffintampa View Post
      Seems like I have the floats close cause it runs pretty good I still have to figure out that Leak on 4 Possible next step SEAT huh? I do have to sort out the throttle cable as I think I boggered it up in our out rubbing on the 3 boot looked funny on the way in but continued anyway figuring there coming out again for the 4 leak fix it then......
      Jeff, you should do this outside with a fire extinguisher handy.

The next time you have the carburetors off, take the float bowls off and turn the carburetors upside down with the floats exposed and the weight of the floats holding the float needles in their seats.

Run run a fuel line and some fuel to the fuel tees on the carburetors, then gently 'blip' the floats until the air is out of the lines and fuel comes out around the float needles.

Stop blipping the floats and watch carefully to see if fuel stops or if it leaks around the float valves (bad o-rings) or the float needles and the seats.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

grrr

Well,
        I pulled the seat out of 4 really cleaned it up, reinserted the seat with a drop of oil on the O ring, set it in and spun it around, up down a tad, cleaned out the inside of the seat really good, put it back to gether and hooked it up and crap 2 and 4 leaked back. Took it out and cleaned up both 2 and 4 again, hooked it up and still both leak

Comment

pic

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but when initially filling the bowls with gas, you will need to tap the bowls with a screwdriver handle or such to prevent the floats from sticking resulting in overflow. Keep tapping for a minute until the bowls are full. If they still leak, then you still have problems.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Don't know if it has been mentioned, but when initially filling the bowls with gas, you will need to tap the bowls with a screwdriver handle or such to prevent the floats from sticking resulting in overflow. Keep tapping for a minute until the bowls are full. If they still leak, then you still have problems.
                I can get them to stop that way....

Comment

Good, it is a common problem for that to happen at initial fill up, hopefully you are good to go <cross fingers>.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If all he needed was a tap on the carbs with a screwdriver, I will be so happy for him!

But the bike runs, gets ridden around, then still leaks. I will pee my britches if a screwdriver tapping on the carbs is a long term fix, i.e, it doesn't do it again for an extended period of time.

There is something else not right. The chances of the same carb/float/needle after SO many on/off cycles for cleaning, adjusting, et al, to be hanging up or not sealing to where a screwdriver tap fixes it for good is not likely.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      ... There is something else not right.
                      I agree. Jeff, have you tried switching the float valves between carburetors to see if the leak stays with the carburetor body or follows the float valve?

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Omg

I tell you I am about to light a &&^%%$$ match under the bitch.

Freaking cleaned the **** out of everyone of those 88888766 needles and seats. Had em on the bench and tapped them to stop the flow. Held gas for a hour or so. Put em back on the bike, filled em tap tap as they were leaking again got em to stop, fired up the bike ran ok I think but turned it off and freaking ton of gas pouring out the air box

AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Comment

Hey Jeff,

I'm glad you're still trying to work on it. Okay, aside from obvious things like are you sure the floats actually float....but you have the newer black plastic floats usually don't sink or leak like the older brass ones. The other thing is regarding the float bowl vents....that small round hole in the upper right of the inlet bell...just being sure that it's open and not clogged....if so can also cause flooding/leaking.

There are tangs on the side of the metal float arm, it controls how far down the float drops when the bowls are empty, and sometimes it can be set too far which then allows the needle to drop too far and get cocked/angled which can prevent it from sliding back up into the seat to seal properly. The screwdriver hammer tapping technique can help dislodge the needle jam and allow it to then slide up. You CAN bend the drop tang to only allow a few mm's worth of drop/movement so that the needle won't drop down too far.

The other concern is that the floats are pivoting easily on the pin, and not binding which could reduce the amount of pressure the float can exert on the needle to make it seal.

Just throwing out some other things to check. Good Luck!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                            I agree. Jeff, have you tried switching the float valves between carburetors to see if the leak stays with the carburetor body or follows the float valve?

Seems like they are all freaking flooding I don't know don't care anymore gonna take it out and light a match under the bitch

Comment

I am so sick of this ****

I really don't know what the hell to do other than burn the bitch up what the 7834984985794875 I am tired of pulling them off I am so sick I can not tell you

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffintampa View Post
                                I really don't know what the hell to do other than burn the bitch up what the 7834984985794875 I am tired of pulling them off I am so sick I can not tell you
                                Jeff........step away from the bike......before U do something evil.
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X