Front tire cupping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey again Bart,

That description sounds like too tight steering head bearings which are not allowing the front wheel to AUTO-track via the caster affect...it's HOLDING a position/binding. The steering head bearings need to be a little loose to allow the wheel to swivel easily, hence like Motoman said, need to be loose enough to let the bars flop with just the slightest push/touch/nudge from center.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Bartman,
      While the others have you checking the steering head bearings.
      I have a stretch of ROAD near me that does that to mine
      Certainly check the bearings but ride some different surfaces too.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Update on the oscillation, I slowed down for 4K miles and wore out the back tire.
        Replaced the back tire and hand balanced this time instead of paying someone else. All seems good now.

History: I now have put 16000 miles on the bike.
        16000 miles ago I replaced both tires first time and used dyna beads= good balance and no oscillating.
        5k later I replaced rear tire and used dyna beads, no problems.
        5k later paid motorcycle shop to mount and balance tires. Resulted in many weights and oscillating in deep curves at 70 mph. My son came home from college and road it and came right back saying it had a problem, (forgot to worn him).
        I bought a wheel balancer and just replaced the back tire myself with weights and now all is good again.

SO the problem was a bad tire OR the shop didn't balance it well.

Now that I am working on the keeper bike I found the if you ram the cones in too deep that they can catch on the pipe inside of the wheel and not allow a good balance.
        79 XS11

Comment

.........interesting.......went all the way from front tire cupping issue to quarter mile times........and back. Y'all need to spend time riding more........often.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            .........interesting.......went all the way from front tire cupping issue to quarter mile times........and back. Y'all need to spend time riding more........often.
            What ...does...that...mean???
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
            X