No announcement yet.

is my timing off 180 degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addressing your posts here: don't pull your head yet till you confirm a bent valve(s).

Your spark plug boot rotation sounds confusing, and yes, it matters. But, I think you have it right.

Both of your friends are right, but the one who says it should be spot-on is more right. The bike will fire with dots being off, but it may be at the cost of bending valves if they hit each other or the piston. The friend saying it should be spot-on is right, in that it should be exact for the purposes of that's how it's supposed to be.

The results of the compression test?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

well i went to the shop to buy a compressor kit , spent 80 dollars and apparently a"universal kit "is not so universal as it did not fit. so at my friends advice he said to do the timing again so i went ahead and started dissasembling it so no test yet. and cant put it back being impateint i am i forgot to take off the 4 sprocket bolts in the correct order as in lining the engine up at the dots and arrow and when i took off the last bolt forgot the dot and arrow have to be lined up but they werent, and being the idiot i am i tried spining the crank with one sprocket secured and while i was spinning it the other sprocket fell off and i spinned it a good amount before realozing what happened so now im sure i bent a valve so forced to get a valve job, now another question since my carbs were sitting for about 7 months do you guys think maybe my carb jets are clogged and the engine isnt getting any gas? but i was getting backfire, but i guess that still doesnt explain the fact im getting air coming out of the carbs instead of going inbut like you also said the bike should atleast fire up tho...
      Just an amateur 25 year old with a dream to be a mecahnic and have my own shop
      You're gonna need some patience when replying to my posts
      4 years of riding with 7 bikes
      1st bike: 1981 yamaha virago 535 bobber - sold
      2nd bike: 1997 yamaha virago 750 bobber-totalled
      3rd bike: 1996 yamaha virago 1100 bobber-totalled
      4th bike: 2004 yamaha r6 -completely totalled
      5th bike: 2013 Suzuki gsxr 750 repossesd after being totalled haha
      6th bike:1980 xs1100 lg- not totalled- yet

Comment

Mo, you are doing too many things at once.

Make sure of your timing and compression first. Screwing those up lead to expensive valve replacements. After you get the engine to spin correctly and have proper timing and compression, do a good job on your carbs and everything should work. The carbs are always a wild card, but with so many issues in the air, you might never know where the problem is, so finding it becomes difficult.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

He sounds like me in my ignorant days, lol. Way too fast, and and too much going on. One thing at a time. Goto Harbor Freight and get one for less than $20. Comes with a 14mm adapter.

Yup, you may very well have bent some valves at this point. You may have got lucky. However, you cannot mistake the tapping of bent valves for anything else.

Re-align the timing and amuse yourself with a compression test.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

For me the tip off is the smooth spinning of the motor with none of that pesky compression to slow things down.
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

@loho-yea i know haha i was just very dissapointes that it didnt start after i thought i had done everything right. so decided ima take off the head and get that valve job done, the machine shop said heyre gona charge 200 for a "complete valve job" not really sure what means but heres another question lol what do i need to buy , i know when i bought a complete gasket kit it had some parts for the valves, i think they were some small springs and some small cylinder cones, now i dont have those no more but if i dont find them can anyone give me a link to where i can buy those again? thanks
              and ian lol yes still VERY ignorant, not even gona lie lol but i gotta start messing around with things to learn right

Comment

You keep expressing about removing the head, and make no mention of a compression test . . .
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

wekk i figured theres no point of doing a compression test anynore cuz of what happened when i removed the cam sprockets, but ill put everything back together GOD willing and align everything and ill let you know how the tests went

Comment

Working...
                  X