No announcement yet.

Upon re-install of cam?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOPs, my bad . Had my head in XS's all day and its been beer o'clock for a few hours now.
    Think I'll toddle off to bed now.
    'night all!
    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

No worries. Anybody doing the right thing and using the search function will read your post as a confirmation of cam install procedure. Great post!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Yeah, I think Eveready is hoping to corner the replacement valve market down under...
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

In Everready's defense,

He had his beer goggles on... and that wire clip down at ~6 o'clock looked a lot like the indicator tab at ~8 o'clock.! ;P

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

In Everready's defense,

He had his beer goggles on...
            Yeah, and we ALL know what can happen with beer goggles in the wrong place...
            Not that I have not done ANYTHING like that....
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Guys. Back again (no beer goggles now)
              Once again, sorry about that.
              I think it was that clip that got my hazy head a bit mixed up.
              Was honestly just trying to warn him about making a simple error that ends up being pretty exxy.
              Trust me, I made that one myself back in '83 when changing a camchain in my original E. No forums around back then, and a simple misreading of the manual resulted in 4 bent exhaust valves in my pride and joy.

LoHo, that's a brilliant idea about the valves! Now if I only had some in my hot little hand................................
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

The pointeris on the T mark. The cam chain is one tooth out. It's easily done. And easily rectified. As has been said, do not turn the engine over with things as they are now
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearthepack View Post
                  I'm thinking this maybe no big deal, that big 22 mm nut on the cam itself might be there for fine tuning the cam (aligning the dots)once the caps are torqued down...anyone care to second that?
                  Yes, it can be used to hold the cam and stop it turning when the caps are torqued down. It can be easier to remove the sprockets from the cams, line the cams up with the dots and then reattach the sprockets themselves, having made sure that the cam chain is fully tight at the front.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Eveready, I have quite a selection...and they're only bent a little.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                    X