Tire Shimmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Shimmy

Had the tires mounted and balanced at a dirt bike shop a week ago. Having installed the front wheel and spinning it countless times to make sure the new rotors are not hitting anything, I noticed that the wheel does not spin true. The tire kinda slowly sways left to right looking at it head-on. Is this normal? If not, what could be causing it? Improper balance? Axle nuts not tightened properly? Bent axle? Bad bearings?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

It is probably the tire, what brand do you have, Shinko? Sometimes tires are not perfectly round, especially the cheaper ones. First check to make sure that line is visable all the way around the rim on both sides.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 03-31-2015, 07:33 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Could be it's not seated right on the rim too.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

My experience with those out of round tires is you really have to ride on them first, sometimes they ride just fine, others ones you will feel a wobble of some sort. If the wobble is enough to bother me, I take the tire off and send it back to the vendor as a reject, they pay for shipping both ways and replace the tire. Sure I am out my labor time, but that's just life. If a dealer sold you the tire they should replace/mount it for you free of charge. I've had this happen with 3 out of my last 10 Shinkos. Hope yours rides just fine, Ian. Good luck!
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It's a Metzeler Lasertec. It was a young guy who mounted the tire, and said he had great difficulty mounting the back tubed tire due to the rim locks on both sides. He also said he was having difficulty balancing the front tire. I hope he knew what he was doing.

Tires have not been rode-on yet. I hope the wobble is not from any nuts not being tightened-down enough. Axle bolt was tightened to 66 ft. lbs. (77 ft. lbs. is spec), and axle pinch bolts were hand-tightened to a point where I felt comfortable (broke the stud prior).
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

probably the mounting. I have used Lasertecs for years with no problems whatsoever. In fact, just mounted a new set about three weeks ago. You need to watch how it mounts when airing them up to seat them. Check by teach side of the rim while it is spinning. If you are off then it will show there.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Just to be sure take a block or something and put a screw driver or wrench handle on it and put it next to the rim and spin it. If the rim rides pretty close to the same point while going around its got to be the tire either mounted wrong or bad. If that rim moves much check the bearings. If its not the bearings check the rim for tire machine marks. More than likely the tire is not seated proper.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends