Plastic Side Cover Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Side Cover Repair

Tried pulling the side cover off in the cold, and a chuck of it broke-off clean. Any and all advice on repair is appreciated.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

I've used some two part epoxy and gorilla glue to fix mine before, both with good results.
    Jason
    Montgomery, AL

80 XS1100SG Daily Driver
    81 XS1100SH (Getting ready for an engine rebuild)
    86 Honda Magna V45 (sold)

Comment

Ian read up on ABS welding. A clean brake should be an ideal candidate.
      While I have never done it myself it does not sound too difficult to do.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Whoa! I see bad things happening with using heat to fix this break. I'll look into some plastic glue and cross my fingers.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Go to a body shop! If you don't have them fix it, you can at least find out what they're using for the repair. I have had two side covers fixed. If either of them breaks again, it won't be in the same place. There are specialty adhesives to solve this problem permanently.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

J-B weld is one of my best friends. I backed it up with some fiberglass repair on the inside
            82 XJ1100J
            81 Venturer
            Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Baking soda and super glue

The following thread works great.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...+cover+drawing

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

John- That thread had nothing to do with baking soda and super glue, lol. But, I heard that method has brittle results.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

I came up with this method years ago when I was always fixing VW Rabbit dash faces.....
                  If its a clean break, super glue it together...then, cut a small section of a regular hose clamp, sized accordingly.....you know, with the slots in it for the screw to run on.....cut it long enough to span the break, maybe use in a couple spots depending on the length of the break....then, with a small torch,carefully heat the piece of clamp til nice and red, use needle nose pliers, have a small screwdriver ready, when its hot enough, lay it across the break, on the INSIDE of the piece, until the plastic ooozes through the slots, use the screwdriver to push it in and smooth out the plastic while its hot, you only have a few seconds. Once it cools and hardens, its not goin anywhere....
                  Hope this helps
                  Small pieces you can use bits of wire or old torch cleaning wires, bend little hooks in them for grip.....
                  I used this on my left cover where the locking tab broke....file it down to fit...works great...

Dont breathe the fumes, smoke from the plastic....you'll wind up like me.....
                  Mark
                  1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
                  1992 Ducati 907ie
                  2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

My 2nd hobby is R/C cars. Lot's of banged up plastics. Check this out for a strong backing after you epoxy it together.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL493&P=M
                    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Working...
                    X