Carb cleaning, just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb cleaning, just wondering

Is there any reason we should not soak a set of carb's in Seafoam? We push that stuff through everything to help clean the circuits. Just wondering if anyone has had detrimental things happen if they soak a carb body in it.
    Got me one of the grimiest sets I have come across and while the seafoam deep creep is hacking away at what I can see, I am hesititant to soak the carbs in the stuff. I do not remember anyone trying this. Dawn dish soap and all the other things come to mind, Just not a seafoam soak.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

I would not hesitate mixing a heavy dose of Sea Foam (or a handful of other cleaners) in good non E10 fuel and using that. I'm looking for solutions to non damaging concoctions to soak carbs in. Lightest of which would be just soaking in fuel no additives, maybe ?
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
      I would not hesitate mixing a heavy dose of Sea Foam (or a handful of other cleaners) in good non E10 fuel and using that. I'm looking for solutions to non damaging concoctions to soak carbs in. Lightest of which would be just soaking in fuel no additives, maybe ?
      Two Words:

Original Pine-Sol

It doesn't harm the rubber parts and is not flammable.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Only problem with Pine-Sol is that it's known to darken the carb body metal for some. Any reason ur not using Berryman's Ras?
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          Is there any reason we should not soak a set of carb's in Seafoam? We push that stuff through everything to help clean the circuits. Just wondering if anyone has had detrimental things happen if they soak a carb body in it.
          Got me one of the grimiest sets I have come across and while the seafoam deep creep is hacking away at what I can see, I am hesititant to soak the carbs in the stuff. I do not remember anyone trying this. Dawn dish soap and all the other things come to mind, Just not a seafoam soak.
          Cause it is expensive!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Why not?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Hi Ras

Don't waste your time. I tried that on some carb parts and it made no difference. I even had it in a small ultrasonic jewerlly cleaner and it did nothing for the parts. Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner?
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                Don't waste your time. I tried that on some carb parts and it made no difference. I even had it in a small ultrasonic jewerlly cleaner and it did nothing for the parts. Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner?
                Mack,

Please clarify. Which one is, "Don't waste your time."
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

The reason I asked about the Seafoam, was because that was all I had on hand and I wanted to get them soaking in something. I do not have an Ultra sonic cleaner (sure would like one) and I have not been successful getting the Yamaha carb cleaner locally. The Deep Creep made by Seafoam softened up a lot of the surface crap, so I wondered about it's ability to clean a plugged circuit. The spray carb cleaner will not do much if it can not get to the plugged area. Thanks for the thoughts.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

It was a good question Ras. Seems safe if u can run it through your fuel system. Then again, ur dilluting it adding it to your gas tank. There is a youtube video regarding Berryman's vs. Pinesol. Done it all, and Berryman's is the best for me.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

They have been soaking in Seafoam for about 15 mins now (cause I did not get any other cleaner today before I started in on the beer). I can see some of the crud is already laying on the bottom of the pan and it has softened up some of the major crud. I wish I had taken pictures to show how bad these were at the start. I honestly started the cleaning of the float pin towers with a wire brush.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Berrymans after Pine-sol, 24 to 48 hour soak and hot water rinse, works well for me.

Ian, all the carbs I've soaked in Pine-sol have come out brighter than they went in and I use the same Pine-sol over and over again.

An air compressor is a must, IMHO, to clear all circuts.
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

+1 on the air compressor. I have the baddest air compressor you will find outside of a tire shop. I will try to soak the things a while to loosen them before I try it though. Hate to pack that stuff in more solid than it is using air pressure. We do not have access to Berryman's locally so might have to find original pine sol tomorrow if what I am doing does not do the trick.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                            Only problem with Pine-Sol is that it's known to darken the carb body metal for some. Any reason ur not using Berryman's Ras?
                            Never had any darkening of the metal for me. Carb on the left just came out after a 3ish day soak in pine-sol. Carb on the right is of course still dirty.

Last edited by natemoen; 02-10-2015, 06:34 AM.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

seafoam

I was refering to straight seafoam gas additive. I soaked my jets, emulsion tubes and other small parts for days with very little effect. If I get a real bad set of carbs, I'll strip them down to bare bodies and alternate between the ultrasonic cleaner and boiling water. Frankly the boiling is just as effective as pinesol, simple green, etc. and has no adverse effects like tarnishing, smell or cost.
                              mack
                              79 XS 1100 SF Special
                              HERMES
                              original owner
                              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                              SPICA
                              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                              IOTA
                              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                              Frankford, Ont, Canada
                              613-398-6186

Comment

Working...
                              X