Polished Slides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished Slides

There is a YouTube video of a '78 XS11 that was rebuilt to a beautiful status. The owner mentioned that he polished the slides to attribute to a quicker startup (almost instantaneous upon starter push). I mentioned this before, and it was stated that polishing the slides would have no effect on startup. Sounds fine to me

On to my question: is there a specific lubricant/polish that is safe to use on the slides? I've used 3-1 oil before.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Or are we talking Carb slides? Don't they have a clear coating on them from the factory? kinda non-stick finish. I wouldn't polish them or add a lubricant.
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I believe they do, as I remember threads of the finish flaking-off.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The slides have nothing to do with start up. If your carbs are right and battery good your bike will pop right over.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

This is just my seat of the pants observation. I have been adding a little 2 stroke oil to the fuel after I fill up. I don't always remember to add it. It seems to me that the carbs respond quicker with the oil added. My theory is that the slides are getting a slight bit of lubrication from the oil. I haven't noticed any other improvement.

Ride safe,
          Larry
          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
          82 XJ1100
          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
            This is just my seat of the pants observation. I have been adding a little 2 stroke oil to the fuel after I fill up. I don't always remember to add it. It seems to me that the carbs respond quicker with the oil added. My theory is that the slides are getting a slight bit of lubrication from the oil. I haven't noticed any other improvement.

Ride safe,
            Larry
            The 2-stroke oil in the fuel is just makes for an octane booster for the fuel......approx. 4RAN points.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Mmmm...any bikes I've done always start immediately on the button.....without carb slide polishing. I can't imagine it makes any difference at all.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

It sounds like

voodoo science, carb slides will be bottomed out on startup and not enough airflow to make them move.

I have always used Marvel Mystery Oil in all my motors ever since my grandfather showed me. I buy the big red bottle and dump half of it in when I fill up the car, ~12 - 13 gallons. Grandpa called it 'top oil' and said it was good for the valves.
                79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                73 & 74 RD 350's
                73 Honda CL 450
                Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmac View Post
                  voodoo science, carb slides will be bottomed out on startup and not enough airflow to make them move.

I have always used Marvel Mystery Oil in all my motors ever since my grandfather showed me. I buy the big red bottle and dump half of it in when I fill up the car, ~12 - 13 gallons. Grandpa called it 'top oil' and said it was good for the valves.
                  +1 Grandad !
                  I use MMO in the fuel, about 1 oz. per gal., good stuff !
                  But I filled one set of carbs thinking it would protect them, the mess I found when I went to drain them was not fun. The MMO had sucked all the junk out of the bowls and it was just a grey goo ? ? ?
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                  X