XS11 SH rebuild status - It started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichV View Post
    I ordered the Pingel 9050-AV cutoff to replace the function. I don't want this to happen again.
    I run one of these, it is advisable to put a restrictor in the vacuum line to keep the unit from pulsating which will shorten it's life, DAMHIK. Pingel will rebuild them for $22 if needed.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      I run one of these, it is advisable to put a restrictor in the vacuum line to keep the unit from pulsating which will shorten it's life, DAMHIK. Pingel will rebuild them for $22 if needed.
      Thanks. That's a good idea.
      1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
      2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Just a note of caution regarding fitting a restrictor to the vacuum lines of the fuel taps. Have a read of post #2423 by Tom about what happened to his motor at high speed where the vacuum tails off - CLICK
        79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
        Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
        *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
        *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
          Just a note of caution regarding fitting a restrictor to the vacuum lines of the fuel taps. Have a read of post #2423 by Tom about what happened to his motor at high speed where the vacuum tails off - CLICK
          I doubt I will ever get to those speeds (well maybe once). It's more important that this bike operate well at lower speeds. My plan is to go without at first and then add later.

Also have:

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

I mounted the Pingel and it works fine. However, it did not solve the problem with the fuel leak.

I removed the carbs (again) and checked the floats. #2 was stuck. Since I had it open anyway, I rebuilt the carbs using this kit.

It fit great and the carbs are re-installed. No leaks. Engine started the first time.

Also have:

Comment

I have an 81 special and went through the same situation....I used q tips cut in half..the stick kind are best but not absolute..i put a little polishing compound on the tip,chucked the q tips in a drill and polished the seat area till it shined like a new penny on all 4 carbs...no more sticky needle valve issues...the compound cleans up easy with a few steady shots of carb cleaner through the fuel supply rails..then some good shots with the compressor and re assemble...
              81 SH gifted to SON

Comment

Fuel in Oil

Originally posted by RichV View Post
                I mounted the Pingel and it works fine. However, it did not solve the problem with the fuel leak.

I removed the carbs (again) and checked the floats. #2 was stuck. Since I had it open anyway, I rebuilt the carbs using this kit.

It fit great and the carbs are re-installed. No leaks. Engine started the first time.
                Make sure to check that no fuel got into the oil while carb was leaking. This easily happens as the cylinders are downhill from the carbs. Good idea to put a 2X4 under the front tire when bike sits for long periods. This will prevent any leaking fuel from going into the cylinders/crankcase.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment