Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '79 XS1100 SF Project

==========
    My mechanic got the new billet aluminum horn/starter buttons (with new springs) installed, got the new battery installed, both buttons work (yay!) and the engine turns over (quadruple YAY!). The air box was tossed many moons ago so I have four new air filter pods to go on (to replace the sad ones we're removing). Do these require any different jetting or special adjustments?
    ==========
    I'm happy to finally be making some progress on my poor machine which has been collecting dust since '02 but I'm finding it *very* difficult to trust my young mechanic will be as meticulous in his work as I would be. I'm not always the model of ambition when it comes to getting things done but if I'm gonna' do it all? You can bet it's gonna' be done as right as rain.
    ==========
    If he can get the thing running decent at all, I'm thinking I'll get it home and love her back to speed my own self. In about nine months I'll be FREE (aka retired) and have a lot more time to make things shine.
    ==========
    Last edited by sail4free; 01-22-2015, 06:00 PM.
    79 SF

Can you post a pic of the new filters ?
    K&N seems to work, so does the UNI pod.
    It's the metal screen covered ones from Emgo that have a lip in them that needs to be cut out. The lip in them will cover part or all of the air jets in the carb inlet where they mount. Some have made them work by adding extensions of radiator hose to clear the air jets instead of cutting the lips out.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Loading pictures?

==========
      I see the 'Insert Image' icon . . . and I have images on my computer . . . so how do I go about creating a URL for my image so I can share pics?
      ==========
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by sail4free View Post
        ==========
        I see the 'Insert Image' icon . . . and I have images on my computer . . . so how do I go about creating a URL for my image so I can share pics?
        ==========
        Make an account at photobucket, upload the pics, click on the pic you want, you get a larger version. On the right side of the screen you will see links to the pic you have selected, to post select the link on the bottom and you will see a message pop up that says copied, then just paste it into your message to the forum.
        The top link is for emails and the second and third I've never used.

Last edited by donebysunday; 01-22-2015, 06:23 PM.
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Here's a pic . . . maybe?

Last edited by crazy steve; 01-24-2015, 02:05 PM.
          79 SF

Comment

Pod Lips

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
            Can you post a pic of the new filters ?
            K&N seems to work, so does the UNI pod.
            It's the metal screen covered ones from Emgo that have a lip in them that needs to be cut out. The lip in them will cover part or all of the air jets in the carb inlet where they mount. Some have made them work by adding extensions of radiator hose to clear the air jets instead of cutting the lips out.
            ==========
            Uh-oh -- my new ones have the metal screen (dunno' the brand yet) but they're still in their cute little boxes . . . pretty sure I can return 'em if they're not gonna' work without modifications I'm not inclined to do They're definitely *not* K&N though those look far superior = vertically oblong instead of round = more surface area and last forever . . . *AND* a ka-chunk more change for a poor white boy to buy.
            ==========
            I'll scope 'em out and see what we're dealing with. Thanks for your response.
            ==========
            79 SF

Comment

Just like that
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hmmm

==========
                How come it no display when *I* posted it? Just shows the link but when you post it, the pic is there? Life is not fair.
                Still.
                ==========
                79 SF

Comment

You need the "IMG" brackets around the address of the photo, then it will show up...

[IMG]photo address[/IMG]

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by sail4free View Post
                    ==========
                    How come it no display when *I* posted it? Just shows the link but when you post it, the pic is there? Life is not fair.
                    Still.
                    ==========
                    Hi sail4free,
                    If you click on the photo shown in my post it will open your photbucket page . look to the right side here are 4 options to share.
                    click on the bottom one IMG it will turn yellow for a moment.
                    Post that in your reply then post and it will show as a picture instead of just a link. Phew long winded explanation
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      You need the "IMG" brackets around the address of the photo, then it will show up...

[IMG]photo address[/IMG]

==========
                      So that forward slash </> in the second set of brackets is okay? I have everything to learn when it comes to HTML.
                      ==========
                      79 SF

Comment

Yes, that forward slash is necessary.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Figuring out the pictures thing

==========
                          Cool -- so does one go with this?

==========
                          Or this?

==========
                          Looks like it works fine either way . . . THANKS for your help!
                          I've decided to return the new pods I bought and go with the K&Ns instead:
                          http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/...ha/xs1100/1100
                          Three times the money but no modification of the filters required. Are guys running this with their stock jet/needle setup?
                          ==========
                          Last edited by sail4free; 01-27-2015, 03:43 PM.
                          79 SF

Comment

Pod Lips

==========
                            I was unwilling to modify brand-new filter pods with big fat lips so I took them back for store credit. They say their cost is higher than what I can buy the K&Ns direct for (free shipping) so that was a non-starter. I need tires yet and I know where they live; pretty sure we'll be able to work something out.
                            ==========
                            The bike ran acceptably well before (for me) with the filter pods. I don't know if my mechanic in those days (ten years ago!) changed anything with the jetting or needle position clips. I guess I'm wondering if it's safe to go with the K&N pods *OR* should I be a good boy and track down an air box and all those little nuts/bolts and brackets to attempt to return the ol' girl to stock?
                            JIM P. ~ Boise, ID
                            ==========
                            79 SF

Comment

I can assure you, you can achieve a great tune with K&N pods, with almost no jet size increase, as-long as your pipes are stock. My 750 has K&N pods, and she SCREAMS!!!
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X