No announcement yet.

Transmission Discoveries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the dialog guys. I should have been smart enough to realize the mysterious washer and circlip were from the OTHER side of the oil pump gear as several of you pointed out. TC's comments about the tech tip not saying to drop the pan before flipping the bike (as Greg suggests) got me thinking that maybe I should defend him too. He was correct in saying that the big stuff would be trapped against the oil pump pickup screen, even the washer from the pump gear was stuck to it. And the small stuff is glued to the pan, including that circlip that was stuck to the pan. Looking around up inside the motor with a light didn't reveal any junk that I could see. But Greg's way makes sense, you gotta take the pan off to do the repair so why not be safe and do it before flipping the bike.

Mack thank you for doing some partial assembly and taking photos. But I think the pic may be misleading (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Are 5th and 2nd gears sandwiched together tightly in the pic as it appears that the dog is almost completely through the slot? I'm thinking that when everything is assembled completely the shift drum and shift fork don't allow that much engagement, or what would be the point of doing the washer swap? Here is another pic of my 5th gear and the visible wear is considerably less than halfway down the dog --

[IMG][/IMG]

Interesting to read about the various trials people have had on the reinstall. I did this fix on my own XJ 3 yrs ago, including the washer swap. There were no issues like Mack had running through the gears. In fact, as I had the motor out of the bike at the time and upside down on a bench, I ran through the gears a number of times just so I could watch what happens inside while shifting. I do recall it was an ordeal to get the shaft back in but finally managed it w/o doing the grinding that Done mentions (might come in handy this time though!)

I'm surprised the tranny doesn't have 1st gear issues as well. Look at another pic of 1st gear...that combined with the wear on the shift fork certainly point to issues don't they?

[IMG][/IMG]

And I remember from the last time that 1st gear is the hardest one to grind, the others aren't bad. I plan on selling the bike in the spring and don't want to have the transmission go out on the next owner soon after buying it. So I guess my options are 1) grind away, 2) buy a new 1st gear for a little over $100, or 3) have Andreas set me up with a good used tranny. Got some good advice already, just gotta decide which route to take.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Billy

My partial assembly is with the gear box bearing installed and the the opposite end bolt installed, so the shaft is fixed as it would be. The gears are installed as they should be after the washer swap and the shift fork is what moves(engages) 2&5. The throw is controlled by the groove in the shift drum so that is fixed as well. The differnce in the wear limit is the thickness of the washer. Moving it from between the gears to the outside of fith allows more contact.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

Hey Billy,

I was going to post about Mack's photo, but he just did, and as he stated, it was after the washer swap, so that's why it looks like it's engaged contact area appears to be the full height/depth of the dog. Remember, the dogs and slots are OEM square/straight cut, so with that rounding off of the end 1/3 of the dog leaves very little flat surface of the dog and slot to engage in the OEM non-washer swap configuration....and the slot itself will also have some rounding of it's groove, and that further contributes to the tendency of the gears to slip apart under the stress/load of the engine's torque.

As to the 1st/4th gears....I have wondered why Yamaha made that gear SOLID instead of open slotted like the other gears? It's thinner than the other gears, and so perhaps to provide strength to secure the contact flats, especially since they undergo much more stress because they are SPINNING while sitting in neutral when you shift into 1st, and you get that big CLUNK as the dogs/slots slam together!

But I wondered about a technique to make the dremmeling easier....to cut THRU the gear just above the contact flat area....like make a little slot so that the dremmel stone could then be put THRU the gear to allow easier access to the full depth of the flat area for grinding. Making a little hole/slot shouldn't weaken it that much....IMHO!? What say you all with formal engineering training/experience?

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

dremeling works ok most of the time...but its not guaranteed not to happen again...new factory backcut gears? Well worth the peace of mind that this problem wont come back...
          gearsets are grouped 1-4...2-5
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Good Visual Mack

I should have known better than to second guess you! That pic clearly under scores why Tod always tells people w/o 2nd gear issues to just do the washer swap and forget grinding...no way that could slip engaged that far.
            Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Billy:

I have to say your first gear looks far worse than the one I had that was skipping:

It surely needs one of the alternatives you are considering.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Sorry to get off topic, is there a "Transmissions for idiots" thread? I'm totally lost trying to keep up on this.

especially since they undergo much more stress because they are SPINNING while sitting in neutral when you shift into 1st, and you get that big CLUNK as the dogs/slots slam together
                This is the first part of the common transmission problem that made sense to me! I have so many questions, what's a dog, why are the gears not in order, what exactly do you back cut, what's going on in there.... and it goes on and on!
                78 E

Comment

Go to the subheading "transmission" under the repairs forum and look for the 1st and 2nd gear dremmel fix...lots of pictures and explanation. I was completely clueless 3 years ago before reading and asking questions. Then I repaired my other XJ and it's been fine since. Lotta smart and experienced people around this site to help us learn!
                  Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                    Go to the subheading "transmission" under the repairs forum and look for the 1st and 2nd gear dremmel fix...lots of pictures and explanation. I was completely clueless 3 years ago before reading and asking questions. Then I repaired my other XJ and it's been fine since. Lotta smart and experienced people around this site to help us learn!
                    Indeed I could not have done mine without the direct help from members coming to my home or me going to theirs...namely Randy and TC...and after all that...I sold it 2 yrs ago... I'd really like another but its prolly not likely to happen....
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Alasky2

While it's possible to fix a tranny with the bike flipped over on it's back, I get the impression that this link will be of use to you.
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39231
                      mack
                      79 XS 1100 SF Special
                      HERMES
                      original owner

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                      SPICA

78 XS 11E
                      IOTA

Frankford, Ont, Canada
                      613-398-6186

Comment

Why the Dremmel is needed!

Well, a quick look at the Official Yamaha Website parts catalog reveals this information....note the bolded text items!

From the 81H model listing

15 2H7-17211-00-00 GEAR, 1ST WHEEL

19 2H7-17241-00-00 GEAR, 4TH WHEEL Not Available

20 2H7-17231-01-00 GEAR, 3RD WHEEL Not Available

23 2H7-17221-01-00 GEAR, 2ND WHEEL

26 2H7-17251-00-00 GEAR, 5TH WHEEL Not Available
                        So...buying NEW isn't much of an option anymore....you'll be lucky if you can find some NOS but doubt it....this type of part wasn't something that the dealers would keep on hand.

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll get out of the way now

78 E

Comment

Alasky2

You were never in the way. This is what this site is all about. However if you have questions (there are no stupid questions) Start a thread of your own and just ask. The members will do their best to direct you to the threads you need to read or just answer directly. There is a lot of knowledge here, stupid to not make use of it. There is nothing you are going to encounter that someone else hasn't already dialed in the fix. Ask away!
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA

Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

Thanks, I'm not currently having trouble with my lower end, I'm just curious about how it all works. I'm obsessive with all my toys, it drives the lady crazy that I can't have just one hobby, how boring would that be!!!!
                              78 E

Comment

I ended up buying a transmission from Andreas that showed almost no wear and dropped the whole counter shaft in after moving the washer around to the back side of 2nd gear. I had a heck of a time getting it back in (just like when I did my other XJ) so I went back and re-read a few posts about the fix. I came across a tip from Tom B in the UK to tap on the shaft the clutch mounts onto in order to drive it (the input shaft) and all the gears on that shaft over towards the shifter side of the tranny. It only moves an 1/8" or so but once I did it, that counter shaft dropped right into place! Great tip to file away in the memory bank in case you ever need to do this repair...thanks Tom.

In post #25 Mack has the following video of his '78E with the cases split and shows you all the components...http://youtu.be/wvk9-sRfG2I however nothing is moving.

So I thought it might be interesting for someone who has never seen the inside of these trannys to see what goes on in there so I put a 7 min video together that you may find interesting. And you experts out there feel free to correct anything I said wrong, don't want to dispense bad info! Here is the video --
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKkInvmWrtc At one point in the video I try to get the gears into the "false neutral" that is between 3rd and 4th and can only get it there for a brief instant, but if you watch closely you can see 2nd, 3rd, and 1st gears stop spinning just like when the tranny is in the real neutral. A day earlier when I wasn't filming I could hit that false neutral easy and get it to stay there but I had a hard time doing it in the video.
                                Billy

Comment

Working...
                                X