Transmission Discoveries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Discoveries

Since it's the middle of winter here in NY with temps in the teens, we can only look at our bikes and be jealous of everybody else who is riding in the middle of January. Bored and suffering from cabin fever, I decided to try out my new camera phone and take some pics to entertain myself and maybe some of you who are also counting the days until spring.

Here is the $300 XJ I recently picked up with 2nd gear issues as it sat in the shop Saturday morning...

[IMG][/IMG]

And here it is a couple of hours later. This is what can happen after you've started running with the wrong crowd (you XSives) and find yourself with too much time on your hands!

[IMG][/IMG]

I quickly discover why the "side stand" warning is constantly lit up on the XJ dash as there are no bolts holding the switch in place in its mounting bracket. Instead the PO used what amounted to bread ties to hold it up and holes worn through the wire's insulation was grounding the circuit against the side stand bracket.

[IMG][/IMG]

Upon removing the oil pan I find a bunch of crap on the oil pump pickup screen as well as a pretty good sized washer stuck there, and there is a circle clip stuck to the bottom of the pan. Any idea where these may have come from as everything was where it should be in following TC's writeup for disassembly?

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the shift fork shaft and the #1 and #3 shift forks. What issues might be caused by the circle clip not being seated properly and what do you think about the wear on the forks??

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And finally pics of 5th and 2nd gears (2nd was skipping according to the dealership where the PO took the bike) and 1st and 4th gears.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

1st and 4th --

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So it looks like I've got some Dremmel work to do and need to swap the washer around to the back side of 2nd gear. Please feel free to chime in with your comments about anything I posted pics of and I hope you enjoyed the presentation.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

That circlip out of place wouldn't have caused the gears to skip although it would have eventually allowed the shifter ratchet lever to slip out of place and the shifter would quit working.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that flips the bike. It IS most definitely the easiest way to work on the transmission but you really need to pull the pan BEFORE flipping the bike. All that crap that WAS in the pan is now up in the top end of the engine except what that little pick up screen caught.

Also, drain the fluids from the middle and final drives or they will leak out the vents and make a mess on the floor.

I know that advice is too late in your case here but it's worth mentioning for anyone who may be reading this.

The forks are worn because the PO was holding it in gear. Yes, you do have some dremmel work to do and don't forget to do the washer swap.

Decent looking XJ. I hope it runs well.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I think Andreas advertised transmission parts in his last post.

I have an XS650 with a sidestand switch. Being an afterthought at the end of production, it has always presented a problem. That is, until I removed it. In that one, I simply added a shorting jumper. You'll be able to do the same, or possibly leave the circuit open as required.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Good tips Greg. I did drain the middle and final drives before flipping the bike but forgot to drop the oil filter cover so I did have a small amount of oil drip out. That step IS in the write up, I had the laptop next to me during the process but missed it in the instructions...my fault. And pulling the oil pan BEFORE flipping the bike for the reason you stated is only common sense, I should have thought of that. However, the write up has you flipping the bike and THEN pulling the pan. I'm thinking that maybe the write up could be edited to reflect the better order of steps, especially for anyone who comes along and may only ever do this process one time and wouldn't have the benefit of hindsight for the next go round.

Both the circlips on either side of the shift pawl were in place upon dis-assembly so I was curious if the one in the pan could be missing from else where or whether it was probably lost by a PO and just replaced, same thing happened with that washer too maybe?
        Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
          Good tips Greg. I did drain the middle and final drives before flipping the bike but forgot to drop the oil filter cover so I did have a small amount of oil drip out. That step IS in the write up, I had the laptop next to me during the process but missed it in the instructions...my fault. And pulling the oil pan BEFORE flipping the bike for the reason you stated is only common sense, I should have thought of that. However, the write up has you flipping the bike and THEN pulling the pan. I'm thinking that maybe the write up could be edited to reflect the better order of steps, especially for anyone who comes along and may only ever do this process one time and wouldn't have the benefit of hindsight for the next go round.

Both the circlips on either side of the shift pawl were in place upon dis-assembly so I was curious if the one in the pan could be missing from else where or whether it was probably lost by a PO and just replaced, same thing happened with that washer too maybe?
          Uhhh......two circlips are on the clutch side of that shaft, IIRC both sides of oil pump idler gear........but that was some 6+yrs. ago and I got old since then.

I do remember clips laying in the pan though.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Here is the shift fork shaft and the #1 and #3 shift forks. What issues might be caused by the circle clip not being seated properly and what do you think about the wear on the forks??

[IMG]

I believe the side-force abruptly kicking fork/dogs out of slot repeatedly causes the shift fork to catch/wedge so-to-speak on that shaft and not slide smoothly. Eventually that side-force from the rat-tat-tat of dogs not staying engaged knocks the circlips out of their slots. I've seen that repetative force even shear the roll pin that's thru the shaft on the clutch side, which holds that fork shaft stationary so the flat milled portion on it for gear clearance isn't compromised.

The lower shaft retaining bolt that pulls up tight against that bearing race on clutch-side coming loose creates ALL of those issues.......DAHIK.

BTW, do not re-use those shift fork shaft circlips that have been forced off or out of place.........but, fairly sure you already knew that.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I think the wear on the shift forks is fine. I've seen a lot worse.

As far as the circlips... I'd personally have no problems re-using them. They won't be stretched out any worse than if you just took them off with some pliers. You can squeeze them together with a pair of pliers to shrink it up a bit if it's been stretched. The biggest thing to make sure of is that those circlips have a very sharp/squared edge on one side and the other side is a bit rounded. Make sure and install both those clips to where the squared edge is facing out away from the motor. One goes on each side of that little idler gear that runs your oil pump gear. So, the order would be, coming out from that dowel pin in the rod against the case, circlip, washer, gear, washer, circlip. I'm assuming that's where the washer against your oil screen came from when the circlip came off.

1st gear looks pretty awful. I can probably scrounge one up from here somewhere that's in a little better shape if you need it.
              Last edited by trbig; 01-18-2015, 03:22 PM.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tech Tip

Okay....I'll make an edit to the tech tip suggesting they drop the tranny pan before flipping the bike.

That was written some 12 years ago IIRC, I've learned a bit more since then!
                In my defense, draining the oil and dropping the filter cup I thought would be adequate for discharging most of the possible particles, the larger stuff would usually be caught by the pump screen, so I wasn't really very concerned about some little bits of "stuff" laying in the pan. And if they were that little, figured they would just stick to the sludge layer on the inside of the pan!

Billy, the others covered the rest of your questions....the washer is probably off of the end of the shaft where the oil pump gear is. Your photo shows the gear/shaft and the displaced/stretched C clip, but not the other side of the gear....and that gear IS held onto the shaft with the washer/C clip, it's not free floating!

Yeah, that 2nd/5th dog/slots look fairly worn, the 1st/4th are also worn a bit, but should respond to the dremmel just fine. Some folks have reported a much more difficult time in getting the countershaft/gears back into the tranny after the washer swap...to the point where they couldn't, put the washer back on the OEM side, and then put it back together....relying on the undercutting to do the brunt of the gripping to keep the gears together and engaged. Also, TrBig wrote a short while back about the grinding not necessarily having to be done all the way down the dogs to the gear base junction....just far enough to equal the distance of the dogs engagement depth into the slots. This can help in NOT excessively weakening the dog at the base to prevent the chance of shearing off....but have only seen on report of such occurrence after a dremmel job. YMMV

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The one and only trans fix I did (Thank You All) was not fun. Tried as I did the gear cluster would not go back in. I then noticed the tiny little corner of the engine block was keeping the gear cluster from going back in. I rounded off that little corner and the gear cluster went right in. You will see that corner getting in the way when you try to re-install the gear cluster.
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Hi Bill

Couple things: First, glad you made it home, the offer on the carbs still stands, if you changed your mind, i owe you $$$. Second thing is that I've had my motor apart and done the second gear fix and washer swap. Still waiting for some parts before I glue it all together and this popped up. So after I got back from my daughters house from drywalling and electrical, I pulled my tranny apart again and did a partial reassembly to show what TC and Grag are talking about with regard to the second gear fix. The following picture shows the washer swap done at the same time as the dremel fix. Much has been made about how much to take off before it weakens the dogs. The answer is reveiled in this photo.

It clearly shows that a reviel of 0.070 inches or 1.78 mm is never in contact. Is this amount significant enoungh to warranty a partial grinding. Who knows; Greg will argue yes and others will argue to the negative. I didn't bother. The next thing you should consider is if you want to grind both sides of the dog. I 'm a little aggressive and like to use my tranny to do my braking so my urge was to grind both sides; but, upon inspection I found my dogs looked pristine on the downshift side so I didn't bother. This will suppliment Gregs theory that grinding weakens the dogs. My end result was that I only removed half of what it would take to shear off a dog or three.
                    The other thing I found was that stinking flat clip. Remove it as best you can and put it in a vice, sandwiched between a couple pieces of cerial box board. That will allow you to clamp the clip in without cerating the surface of the clip. Then take a a fine file and cut v's into the clip ends like this.

This will allow for easier installation without distorting the clip's flat surface.
                    Lastly, I found that after the washer swap, I couldn't get the gearbox in to second gear, it 's very stiff. Someone suggested that using a dremel to put a slight bevel on the fixed gear face of the washer would help. Others suggested that just moving the washer and running the bike in second would wear the washer in to perfection. I believe that the latter is probably the case but when I reassembled the tranny, I couldn't get it into second at all. The gears were too tight and bound up. So, I didn't want to reasemble the bike and find everything but first and nuetral was out of question and have to turtle the bike and do more tranny work to tune it, so I opted for putting slight bevel on the washer first. I did this with a dremel with a modest grit grinding wheel and niggled my way into the matching bevel, repeatedly removing the washer from the grinder and checking the seat on the axle. When I was done, it and second gear moves freely and I know before I put the cases back together that I can hit all the gears and tune the bike without having to turtle it and pull the pan etc.
                    Good luck my friend.
                    Mack
                    mack
                    79 XS 1100 SF Special
                    HERMES
                    original owner
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                    SPICA
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                    IOTA
                    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                    Frankford, Ont, Canada
                    613-398-6186

Comment

My second gear was tight after the washer swap. Per the advice of Rick (Tarzan) I ground a very small chamfer around the inside hole in the washer on the side AWAY from second gear.

It made my second gear spin freely before re-assembly.

BTW. I was worried about the feel of second gear after the washer swap. IN/OUT of second gear now has the best feel of all the shifts among the gears. But, for some reason, I miss the upshift into 4th frequently.
                      -Mike
                      _________
                      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                        My second gear was tight after the washer swap. Per the advice of Rick (Tarzan) I ground a very small chamfer around the inside hole in the washer on the side AWAY from second gear.

It made my second gear spin freely before re-assembly.

BTW. I was worried about the feel of second gear after the washer swap. IN/OUT of second gear now has the best feel of all the shifts among the gears. But, for some reason, I miss the upshift into 4th frequently.
                        Boots that are stiff on the top-side and not tenny-runners make for positive shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Boots that are stiff on the top-side and not tenny-runners make for positive shifting.
                          I concur. I have a pair of thick leather shoes I reserve for riding because they have a rigid sole and big thick sewn ridge around the top.

Makes a BIG difference.
                          -Mike
                          _________
                          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

You can't be lazy shifting an XS1100. If you're daydreaming as you drive, neutral will frequently come up between 4th and 5th.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

neat job Billy back in '08 I did the same thing...but i had alot of help from Randy and TC...instead of dremelling I replaced both gearsets with new factory backcut gears...did save some time but not money BTW irt was 65 and sunny here today
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X