No announcement yet.

81 SH project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I tried the oven and that sucker just wouldn't come free. I was however successful at burning myself.

I ended up getting a 3rd #4 body off eBay and all is well again. I cleaned up the chrome, derusted the steel, polished the bowls, and picked up all new hardware then slapped it all together.

The air box I got was in pretty good shape but the steel brackets and bolts had corroded pretty badly. I let all that stiff sit in vinegar for a few days and rubbed the rust off with my thumb. Putting the air box back together again was a hoot. Those spacers do not cooperate.

When I pulled the air box from eastcoaster's bike, I broke both of the smaller wing nut bolts that hold the 2 halves together. I used a #1 easy out to extract the broken bolts and replaced them with some m6 1.0 bolts, wingnuts, large washers and lockwashers. Then I threw an o ring under it all. The setup seems pretty solid but time will tell.
    81 xs1100 SH
    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
    80 suzuki gs550et
    07 suzuki S40

Comment

Looking good! Excited to see the complete restoration!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Ok, things are starting to come together. I've got my carbs rebuilt to stock specs and I've fixed up my air box. I have the dyna coils installed with new wires and plugs. I went over every inch of the main harness multiple times looking for problems and I've fixed a few. I've cleaned my contacts at the ignition, signal switch, and all the harness connections. The brakes are next. Spring is coming and I want to ride!

The PO chopped off the ass end of my 81 and welded in a frame loop. The bike came with a piece of wood, cut to fit my bike with several layers of neoprene padding and no way to mount it. I'm no expert, but this "cafe seat" didn't sit right with me. This is an old photo in which you can see the modded frame.

I found this guy on eBay. The seller says it was from a modified 78. I won the auction maybe 20 minutes ago and I can't stop thinking about what it'll look like. Spring is coming!
        81 xs1100 SH
        81 xs1100 SH (parts)
        80 suzuki gs550et
        07 suzuki S40

Comment

Hi Phatts,
          That seat should fit and will look good with what you have to work with. You will need to find a place for the "black box' ignition. I stuffed mine into the tool box holder as i did not have the tools. required some cutting of plastic.
          You will also need to devise some sort of inner fender or cover to keep water from the back tire off the electrics.
          There that should keep you busy for a day or two
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Phil,

I hadn't thought about the ignition box. It was over top of the battery but now the intake snorkel sits there. The tool box seems like a good spot for it.

I'll see if I can reuse the plastic fender liner from eastcoaster's parts bike to plug up the wheel well. I imagine it'll be the perfect width. Thank you for the advise.

p.s. Do you have any pictures of your bike? You said you also had to relocate your black box. Is/ was your bike modified anything like mine?
            81 xs1100 SH
            81 xs1100 SH (parts)
            80 suzuki gs550et
            07 suzuki S40

Comment

Hi Phatts,
              Mine looks mostly stock. The PO put a different saddle on which did not leave room for the box to be mounted to the inner fender which is how it is done on the Venturer. Your saddle may hve sufficient room if you find a matching inner fender. The attachment of the inner fender will be compromised on yours due to the frame modification. black tie wraps and a drill should fix that
              Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

My boss went to Costa Rico for a few weeks and I'm covering most of his shifts. 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week isn't leaving me with much free-time. Fortunately, it is providing some much needed padding for my wallet.

On my nightly prowl over there at eBay, I decided I'd look up 82 xj1100 parts for the hell of it. Man did I luck out! I found what I believe is a full Jardine spaghetti exhaust system for cheap, free shipping too! Looks like it'll clean up nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-yamaha-...p2047675.l2557
                These should fit my sh, right? I figured I'd shoot now and ask questions later when I hit the buy button, I knew these wouldn't last long at that price.
                81 xs1100 SH
                81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                80 suzuki gs550et
                07 suzuki S40

Comment

Originally posted by phatts27 View Post
                  My boss went to Costa Rico for a few weeks and I'm covering most of his shifts. 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week isn't leaving me with much free-time. Fortunately, it is providing some much needed padding for my wallet.

On my nightly prowl over there at eBay, I decided I'd look up 82 xj1100 parts for the hell of it. Man did I luck out! I found what I believe is a full Jardine spaghetti exhaust system for cheap, free shipping too! Looks like it'll clean up nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-yamaha-...p2047675.l2557
                  These should fit my sh, right? I figured I'd shoot now and ask questions later when I hit the buy button, I knew these wouldn't last long at that price.
                  Yeppers.........plug'n'play. Your SH studs may be a bit long for the different head flanges that are on the Jardines
                  Last edited by motoman; 02-12-2015, 01:16 PM.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Good score Phatts,
                    I love the look of the Spaghetti Jardine.
                    Phil
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

• Sweet, I was hoping these would work. I read that I may encounter mounting issues with the muffler tabs, no biggie. I'm just happy I won't have to cut off my holy muffler from the pipes. From what I've read, this is one of the better aftermarket setups for the 11. Any truth to that?
                      81 xs1100 SH
                      81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                      80 suzuki gs550et
                      07 suzuki S40

Comment

• Originally posted by phatts27 View Post
                        Sweet, I was hoping these would work. I read that I may encounter mounting issues with the muffler tabs, no biggie. I'm just happy I won't have to cut off my holy muffler from the pipes. From what I've read, this is one of the better aftermarket setups for the 11. Any truth to that?
                        Yeppers.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                        X