Valve cam clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cam clearance

In my Clymer's, page 44 gives the clearances as .21-.24mm exhaust, .16-.20mm intake.
    On page 56, it states .01-.04mm intake, .025-.55mm exhaust.

What the hell?
    Last edited by LoHo; 11-15-2014, 06:05 PM.
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

valve clearances

The first group you have listed should be in inch decimals (thousands of an inch). The second group is in millimeters. These appear to be correct.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Hey, LoHo -

Don't have the Clymer's manual in front of me right now, but I do know that the correct valve clearances (measured with the engine stone cold) for the 1980G in your signature should be:

Intake - .11-.15mm (earlier models were .16-.20mm)
      Exhaust - .21-.25mm

Hope that helps ...
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Ignore the table on page 56 - it looks like it was done by somebody who was having a bad day. The info on page 44 corresponds with the info in the quick reference section on page v11 at the front of the book - stick with that. I cant imagine how noisy an engine would be with exhaust valves at 0.55mm!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Valve clearances in inches......

intake (78 - 79) .006 - .008

intake (80 and up) .004 - .006

exhaust all years .008 - .010
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah Ken, those are so far off that they must mean something else, although I can't think of what. The "0.01-0.04mm" for the intakes is what got my attention. Just a little bit of wear would cause the intakes to be open almost throughout the cycle. I actually bought another set of gauges because none of the ones I had went at low as .04mm. I have adjusted them correctly before, but used this site as my guide.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Valve clearances in inches......

intake (78 - 79) .006 - .008

intake (80 and up) .004 - .006

exhaust all years .008 - .010
              Tune up specs on page VII in the front of the Clymers.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

In doing this adjustment it is very important not to mix oranges and apples. The metric mm feeler gauge setting is very different from inches. Thousandth's and mm are very different so for the non mechanic its very important to not let this confuse a person. Most gauges have metric one side and inches the other. the specks given by Greg Ba80 are thousandth's what I use and are correct. It is very hard to get all at like .006 since the shims are in 5 mm increments about .002 thousandths. More often you will have one you either have it at .007 or .005 and can not get .006 as long as you are within the spec .006-.008 it will run fine.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

You'll want to set them on the wide side anyway Ron. They will close up as they wear. I have one intake that ended up a little too wide and is noisy when the oil thins but is getting quieter as I put on miles.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I am kosher with the inches verses mm; what stunned me was the numbers I saw in the spec list. I replaced three bent valves after f***ing up the ACCT (long story) and wondered what difference the new valves would make in the valve clearances. When I saw the .01-.04mm, I wondered how I could be so far out. The .04mm was the smallest gauge I could find. I returned to this list and looked up valve adjustment threads and realized the numbers were scarily different, hence my looking elsewhere in the manual and this thread. Everything looks much better now, and I only need to change one shim.

Any idea what the numbers on page 56 could be referencing?

Comment

Some Clymer books were just printed wrong and there is also a torque spec for the rear wheel axle that is incorrect should be 108 ft lbs for the standard.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                        Some Clymer books were just printed wrong and there is also a torque spec for the rear wheel axle that is incorrect should be 108 ft lbs for the standard.
                        ......plus incorrect torgue specs on swing-arm, clutch basket retaining bolts........list goes on.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Is there a sticky page of the various issues? I have seen most of them over the years, but never noticed the cam specs until this time. Maybe a new thread...

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                            Is there a sticky page of the various issues? I have seen most of them over the years, but never noticed the cam specs until this time. Maybe a new thread...
                            You are right. There should be a "sticky" for the corrections.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

LoHo, just go with the Yamaha specs from the correct book. If you need it, I can email some scans from the Yamaha manual to you so you always have them. PM me if you need it.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X