No announcement yet.

Special vs. standard RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll agree with Marty; tire sizes can be all over the map. You can go to the Dunlop site and find that even in the same size, the actual size can vary by tire model (sometime by nearly an inch!), not to mention any variations that may crop up in manufacturing. This is what makes fitting oversize tires such a crapshoot; tire 'A' fits in an oversize, you change brands or model and tire 'B' hits.

But assuming that the aspect ratio is accurate doesn't work either. I've seen tires the same measured width/nominal size but with nearly an inch different diameter too....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      I'll agree with Marty; tire sizes can be all over the map. You can go to the Dunlop site and find that even in the same size, the actual size can vary by tire model (sometime by nearly an inch!), not to mention any variations that may crop up in manufacturing. This is what makes fitting oversize tires such a crapshoot; tire 'A' fits in an oversize, you change brands or model and tire 'B' hits.

But assuming that the aspect ratio is accurate doesn't work either. I've seen tires the same measured width/nominal size but with nearly an inch different diameter too....
      Over the decades I have used many different makes of tires on my Venturer. The 90series of today are lots shorter than the yesteryear tires.....substantually quite a bit. The Conti Go's I installed new this year, least as far as the rear is the tallest widest stock size I've had on the bike. Rear has .015 clearance from swingarm shaft tube and a 200rpm drop from 4000rpm@60mph to 3800rpm. No sign of any rubbing anywhere having only put on some 1200mi. traveling to this summers rally and little other riding. As Greg stated, I can see where the bit higher final drive ratio and motor power output would clash fighting mother nature on the top-end. IMO, the stock final drive gear ratio matched perfectly with the double-nickel speed limits, allowed bike to be able to attain redline in fifth gear, and as a bonus, gave Mother Yammy braggin' rights........all by design, no accident there.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Just out of curiosity I measured the Shinko 712s when I got home from work.

The 110/90/19 measures right at 110mm. The 100/90/19 measures 99.5mm.

That's mounted and inflated.

I was curious after what was discussed today. If it wasn't so cold out in the garage I would measure circumference. I'll get that done this weekend.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have a Bridgestone Spitfire that is true to the width like that.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Just out of curiosity I measured the Shinko 712s when I got home from work.

The 110/90/19 measures right at 110mm. The 100/90/19 measures 99.5mm.

That's mounted and inflated.

I was curious after what was discussed today. If it wasn't so cold out in the garage I would measure circumference. I'll get that done this weekend.
            110/90/19 = 345.4mm, 100/90/19 = 314mm
            CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
              110/90/19 = 345.4mm, 100/90/19 = 314mm
              CZ
              Thanks CZ. An inch is 25.4mm so there is about 1.25 inches difference in circumference.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The Standard with stock FD and the 17 inch wheel gear ratio is exactly the same as the Special with 750/850 FD and the 16 inch wheel.
                OK, I'm a little confused here... is there still a benefit if I put a 750/850 FD on my standard with the 17" wheel?
                78 E

Comment

Originally posted by alaskey2 View Post
                  OK, I'm a little confused here... is there still a benefit if I put a 750/850 FD on my standard with the 17" wheel?
                  Well,

That depends on what your goal is ...

The 750/850 FD has taller gearing than the stock XS11 FD, so it will lower your RPM's in any gear at any given speed (assuming all else on the bike is equal).

If your goal is more relaxed cruising at highway speeds, then you would probably consider the swap a benefit.

If your goal is to maximize acceleration, then you may not like this mod ...

In certain situations (i.e. riding through the twisties), you would most likely end up shifting into a lower gear than the stock FD set-up had previously allowed you to use.
                  Marco

Current bikes:
                  1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                  1979 Honda CBX
                  2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                  WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Speaking for myself, I haven't a clue how much the XS850 chunk drops the RPM. It has been determined that, depending on the brand of tire, the 17" standard wheel drops it as much as 250 rpm at legal highway speed from the 16" wheel on the Special.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      Speaking for myself, I haven't a clue how much the XS850 chunk drops the RPM. It has been determined that, depending on the brand of tire, the 17" standard wheel drops it as much as 250 rpm at legal highway speed from the 16" wheel on the Special.
                      Think I read here that the 750/850 fd drops about 6-800 rpm. off the engine speed at hwy. speed.
                      What I don't like is hearing the engine does not have enough power in 5th to keep hwy. speed above 75-80 mph., must shift to forth to get over 85-90 and then forth will take you to 115 mph.. 5th would become an overdrive for flats with wind behind you or down hill, don't like that !

250 rpm. drop for the 17" wheel swap, OK.
                      What about the 18" 750/850 rear wheel ?
                      Just heard about this, think it was here, did not know there was a 18" 750/850 rear wheel that would fit ?
                      Last edited by donebysunday; 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM.
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

[QUOTE][Think I read here that the 750/850 fd drops about 6-800 rpm. off the engine speed at hwy. speed.
                        What I don't like is hearing the engine does not have enough power in 5th to keep hwy. speed above 75-80 mph., must shift to forth to get over 85-90 and then forth will take you to 115 mph.. 5th would become an overdrive for flats with wind behind you or down hill, don't like that !
                        /QUOTE]

It doesn't affect highway speeds like that done. I've never had to shift down on the highway and I run 75 - 85 mph on the open highway. Engine turns about 4 - 5K at those speeds.

Basically what the swap does is take 1st gear away, but it's not like starting off in 2nd, and adds a gear on top. It doesn't affect the rideability noticeably except for lower cruising RPM.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                          250 rpm. drop for the 17" wheel swap, OK.
                          What about the 18" 750/850 rear wheel ?
                          Just heard about this, think it was here, did not know there was a 18" 750/850 rear wheel that would fit ?
                          Those sizes drastically limit your tire choices.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The XS850 and XS1100 share wheels. There is no difference there. I don't know anything about the XS750, so I won't speculate here.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

The Standard with stock FD and the 17 inch wheel gear ratio is exactly the same as the Special with 750/850 FD and the 16 inch wheel.

With the stock FD more power gets to the rear wheel no matter which tire.

My special with the 850 FD will do 115 - 120 easily in 4th gear but if I shift into 5th I lose speed and top speed is about 97mph. The power just doesn't get to the ground.
                              This is what bothers me, 5th would be for down hill or wind at your back or a flat with increased aerodynamics, not just sitting high in the seat with no shield.
                              I've set bikes up with higher gearing to the point of having to downshift on hills at hwy speed (75-80) because I was losing speed, wind in my face did the same thing. Changed the gearing one or two teeth and still had the power to increase speed under the same conditions in high gear.
                              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                              80 XS650 G Special II
                              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                              80 XS 1100 SG
                              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

[QUOTE
                                It doesn't affect highway speeds like that done. I've never had to shift down on the highway and I run 75 - 85 mph on the open highway. Engine turns about 4 - 5K at those speeds.

I couldn't agree more. 55-90 mph in 5th is not problem with the 750/850 FD. And I running a full bagger.
                                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X