How to fix High Speed Wobble or Pitch & Yaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ks80xs View Post
    You sound like you have good experience with this situation but I would like to ask you this, did your wobble seem more like a wee-wah back and forth? I ride the highway and watch my fixed fairing stay steady going down the road but I can see my steering moving back and forth against the background of the fairing, it almost feels like it's coming from the rear for some reason??!
    It does feel like it's in the rear, in my case part of it was actually. The swing arm bearings were loose allowing some side to side play.

I noticed the wobble the most on high speed sweeping turns. That was from the steering head. I also experienced a feeling of " falling over" in tight high speed turns. This was a combination of the swing arm and the steering head.

In my opinion the stock rear shocks suck in a huge way also. They ride almost like a hard tail and kill the handling. I put some air shocks from an XJ on the rear of my SG and it was like a whole different bike. Better ride and MUCH better control in the twisties.

I replaced the steering head bearings and races and since then the only wobble I've experienced is around 120 - 130 mph and even then very slight.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      It does feel like it's in the rear, in my case part of it was actually. The swing arm bearings were loose allowing some side to side play.
      I noticed the wobble the most on high speed sweeping turns. That was from the steering head. I also experienced a feeling of " falling over" in tight high speed turns. This was a combination of the swing arm and the steering head.
      I had the same feel with one of my standards, but mine felt like it was falling over in slow speed turns. After adjusting the steering bearings, it still had the issue. Then, after making adjustment to the trailing arm, things were much better.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Make sure there is no play in the swingarm. Those bearings require periodic service as well. Steering head is likely where your problem lies.

You put these on your bike? Why? I don't know of anyone running a tire like that on an XS1100.

FWIW, I have put a windscreen on my bike, even a large one, on crooked. It doesn't bother the handling and won't make it wobble.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

The fairing I have on mine actually stabilized it quite a bit and helped the gas mileage. Not to mention making it 10 times more comfortable to ride long distance.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
          X