Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix High Speed Wobble or Pitch & Yaw

To all you tenured and experienced XS11G owners,

I have restored a 1980 model XS1100G that's been sitting dismantled in a tin shed for about 21 years according to the last registration on the license plate. This has a full touring ensemble, Yamaha fairing with the lowers, saddlebags, luggage rack with backrest, and finally a tour pack or luggage trunk.

I've ridden this bike locally around town on the interstate and from about 75 MPH and up this bike has a fairly consistent high speed wobble, not so severe, it's more like a pitch and yaw back and forth.

I've put a fork brace on the front forks, lowered the front and rear shocks which did reduce the severity of the wobble. I also put more air pressure in the front shocks which even reduced the wobble a bit more but it's still there.

I just recently took 500 mile trip (the 1st maiden long distance voyage since restored, with a passenger even) and the bike ran and performed marvelously, much better than I ever could have expected BUT...

The wobble was always there, it did not interfere with the performance or the enjoyment of the ride but I'd like to find the necessary modification that maybe (hopefully) some of you more tenured XSrs have found to remedy this situation.

I thought of putting bigger tires on it, changing the triple tree to a heavier unit, and even to point that the drive shaft and the rear drive gear could be the cause, don't know what to do about that.

I am at my wits end, I need help, can anyone of you folks help me out with this problem.

Thanks for any input you folks can offer,

KS80XS
    Last edited by ks80xs; 11-11-2014, 09:57 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    80 G "Black Mamba" Brothers Restored
    80 G "Red Hot Moma" Custom Restore
    81 H "Original" Collectible (Sold )
    05 HD "Mistress" Custom E-Glide

wobble wobble wobble

What you describe could be a lot of different things or a combination of things.You don't say whether or not the tires are new?how about the fork oil ?Steering head bearings?...sacked out rear shocks?..misaligned fork brace or forks tweaked...could even be improperly/balanced.. inflated tires...let us know what you find...
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

As said could be a lot of little things.

First check is over tight steering head bearings, they may feel Ok when riding slow but if too tight they will cause high speed yaw.

The next on restored bikes is painted triple trees, folks paint inside the holes that the stanchions clamp into, slide them out and scrape out the paint so the fork can be clamped firmer.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I would suggest a methodical check from end to end......

1. Front wheel bearings
        2. Steering head bearings
        3. Wheel balancing on front wheel
        4. Front tire for damage, bulging, lumps. Pressure
        5. Swing arm bearings
        6. Rear wheel bearings
        7. Rear shocks for damage or play at bolt points
        8. Rear tire for damage, lumps, flat spots. Pressure.
        9. Spin each wheel, on the bike, next to a fixed pointer and see if the rims are out of true
        10 check the alignment bead on both tires, both sides and make sure the line doesn't disappear into the rim somewhere

You may want to add checking the fork stanchions for straightness too. It's a bit more of a pain though...
        Last edited by James England; 11-12-2014, 02:30 AM.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Start by checking the alignment of that big wing (I mean fairing) you have on front of your bike. Even a smaller windshield can make the lane wandering you describe happen at highway speeds so checking the fairing alignment might be a good place to start.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

In mounting the fairing do not mount it without the rubber shims. Vibration needs a little flex and if there is nothing to absorb the vibration the fairing will eventually crack. The flex from rubber shims will not cause issues with driving if properly aligned.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
              In mounting the fairing do not mount it without the rubber shims. Vibration needs a little flex and if there is nothing to absorb the vibration the fairing will eventually crack. The flex from rubber shims will not cause issues with driving if properly aligned.
              Very true! In fact, don't try to "draw down" a corner by tightening a bolt if there is a gap. Find more rubber shims instead!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

It's going to be in the front fork alignment or the steering head bearings. Mine had it bad until I replaced and adjusted the steering bearings.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

pitch and yaw-wobble

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                  What you describe could be a lot of different things or a combination of things.You don't say whether or not the tires are new?how about the fork oil ?Steering head bearings?...sacked out rear shocks?..misaligned fork brace or forks tweaked...could even be improperly/balanced.. inflated tires...let us know what you find...
                  Tires are brand new Avon Distanzia Duel Sport tires with tubes and balanced upon installation, Lowered front forks/with fresh oil during restoration (had the pitch and yaw even before that), no tweaked forks or misaligned fork brace.

Have not verified steering head bearings but there is no play in the steering that can be identified.

Comment

Originally posted by ks80xs View Post
                    Have not verified steering head bearings but there is no play in the steering that can be identified.
                    If you haven't at least checked, cleaned and repacked those bearings you just found the problem. The slightest catch in them will throw the balance off. The races and rollers will get rust pits and will be catching ever so slightly particularly if the bike has been sitting a while.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

pitch & yaw-wobble

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                      As said could be a lot of little things.

First check is over tight steering head bearings, they may feel Ok when riding slow but if too tight they will cause high speed yaw.

The next on restored bikes is painted triple trees, folks paint inside the holes that the stanchions clamp into, slide them out and scrape out the paint so the fork can be clamped firmer.
                      Still need to verify check to see if steering head bearings are over tightened but the there is no paint in station clamp holes it is still original.

Comment

pitch & yaw-wobble

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                        Nice Bike Viper, looks quite a bit like mine but black, my fairing mounting bracket has never been removed from the bike, though the fairing has several times during restoration. With that said, the shims have been reinstalled each time the fairing was reinstalled but from what I can tell there is absolutely no play in the mounting screw holes to even get the fairing mounted incorrectly?

So you do not have any type pitch and yaw problem with yours whatsoever?

Comment

nasty old grease

nasty 40 yr. old grease in the steering head.probably gummy at a minimum..or dented &damaged replace the races too..
                          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

pitch & yaw-wobble

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            If you haven't at least checked, cleaned and repacked those bearings you just found the problem. The slightest catch in them will throw the balance off. The races and rollers will get rust pits and will be catching ever so slightly particularly if the bike has been sitting a while.
                            You sound like you have good experience with this situation but I would like to ask you this, did your wobble seem more like a wee-wah back and forth? I ride the highway and watch my fixed fairing stay steady going down the road but I can see my steering moving back and forth against the background of the fairing, it almost feels like it's coming from the rear for some reason??!

Comment

pitch & yaw-wobble

OK guys I think I've got my first targets in this order
                              Steering Head Bearings & Races
                              Front and Back wheel bearings

Let me make a run at those and see if that corrects my problem, I will keep you all posted

Thanks a lot guys
                              Last edited by ks80xs; 11-12-2014, 07:31 PM. Reason: name correction

Comment

Working...
                              X