Low Compression Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Compression Issue

I finally got my wiring far enough along to turn the bike over, so I decided to do a compression check and was not pleased with the results. Cylinders 1 and 4 are both reading 145 psi and 2 and 3 aren't even getting up to 50 psi. Is is safe to assume the head gasket is the culprit or am I missing something here?

Here are the engine specs
    Bored to 1196 with Wiseco piston kit.
    Mild headwork done + 3 angle valve job
    Web Cam 110 grind cams (.395/.395) + valve spring kit
    Crower connecting rods
    '79 Yamaha XS11 SF (project)
    '11 Harley Nightster (street)
    '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)
    '03 Suzuki GSXR-600 (track)
    '73 Jawa Californian (collecting dust)

Have you checked the valve clearance?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Valve clearances were done at the machine shop that did all the head work. I can pull the valve cover and take a look myself. They asked for the specs when they assembled the head and shimmed the buckets accordingly.
      '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)

Comment

Your engine specs seem to indicate that you know what you're doing so I'm sure you had the throttle wide open, or the carbs were OFF.

Is this engine even broken in, or is it a fresh rebuild....sounds like a fresh build. I would think that it should produce decent compression, like #'s 1-4 but perhaps not until it's truly broken in and the rings are fully seated??

Compression rings installed right side up or not???

I didn't review what year before I posted, but remember another Xsive that tried to use the RUBBER cam well liner/gasket with a new headgasket, that seal/liner was eliminated with the later design/gaskets, if used will be too thick in the middle??

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Possible the head gasket is blown between those 2 cylinders. One easy way to check is put the plug back into the one you don't have the guage on.

Try it both ways. If the gasket is the issue the compression will go up in 1 or both.

If it has run that way for a length of time there might be a tunnel burnt between them in the jugs, head, or both.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Your engine specs seem to indicate that you know what you're doing so I'm sure you had the throttle wide open, or the carbs were OFF.

I didn't review what year before I posted, but remember another Xsive that tried to use the RUBBER cam well liner/gasket with a new headgasket, that seal/liner was eliminated with the later design/gaskets, if used will be too thick in the middle??

T.C.
            I had the throttle open during the tests.
            Now that you mention it, the front nut on the cylinder right above the CCT has some oil coming from the gasket. I bet it is that rubber cam well liner as you call it. Damn, I don't wanna pull my head off again
            '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)

Comment

Success! Pulled that stupid rubber gasket and bolted it back together and am getting 150 psi across the board. Thanks for the input!
              '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)

Comment

Originally posted by PMKXS11 View Post
                Success! Pulled that stupid rubber gasket and bolted it back together and am getting 150 psi across the board. Thanks for the input!
                Phew, Glad that was it, I was worried about insulting you/your intelligence/experience with wrenching! Yeah, that liner has fooled a few folks! Congrats that you got it right and didn't damage the head!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Phew, Glad that was it, I was worried about insulting you/your intelligence/experience with wrenching! Yeah, that liner has fooled a few folks! Congrats that you got it right and didn't damage the head!

T.C.
                  Haha thanks, I wouldn't be offended if you did, these machines have thrown me some curve balls I would have never figured out without the help of this site.
                  '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)

Comment

Unfortunately I still have a leak above the CCT, so I think that head gasket might have gotten damaged from that rubber piece. Time to pull the head again
                    '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)

Comment

Hey again,

I'm not a PRO mech, so I don't know for sure if you could use any sealant on the portion that prevents oil leaks? I do know you can't use it on the metal fire ring section. When I did my Wiseco it came with a COMETIC brand type head gasket. A quick search on Ebay showed this one for the XS11 in the 1196cc variety:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-81-YAMAHA...item20d952c8d6

That one is from Japan, ~$31.00 but $12.00 S&H.

Here's the COMETIC one:

http://www.shopengineparts.com/produ...+()&type=model

I tried to go thru part of the checkout, it shows ~$54.00 but didn't show it was going to charge for shipping or tax!?

Anyways, hopefully someone with more experience/knowledge about using/repairing headgaskets will chime in....are you watching TOD/TRBIG or Greg!?

The Cometic I had seemed like a GRAPHITE or Asbestos type vs. the hard fiber type, but that was some 14 years ago.....not sure what it's made of now, and the second link/COMETIC didn't show a photo!?

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

TC, maybe there should be a warning posted somewhere about that cam chain tunnel gasket that has been omitted, JAT
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

On monday, I'm going to call Wiseco direct and ask if they have extra gaskets to purchase. For the time being, I'll try some hi temp RTV on that spot. Can the cylinder head be completely removed in the frame? All I did was slide it up, had a friend hold it, and I cut the rubber one in half and pulled it out carefully
                          '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)

Comment

Originally posted by PMKXS11 View Post
                            On monday, I'm going to call Wiseco direct and ask if they have extra gaskets to purchase. For the time being, I'll try some hi temp RTV on that spot. Can the cylinder head be completely removed in the frame? All I did was slide it up, had a friend hold it, and I cut the rubber one in half and pulled it out carefully
                            Hi PMK,
                            Yes the head can be removed with the engine in the frame. Like much of the real work on my bike...I have seen it done
                            If I recall the cam cover has to come off and it is a tight fit. I do not recall if the cams were taken off before or after removal. Secure the cam chain after splitting or it will drop down the tube and that is not good even if you are going to replace the chain it needs to stay in place.
                            Of course You do have a manual
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              Hi PMK,
                              Yes the head can be removed with the engine in the frame. Like much of the real work on my bike...I have seen it done
                              If I recall the cam cover has to come off and it is a tight fit. I do not recall if the cams were taken off before or after removal. Secure the cam chain after splitting or it will drop down the tube and that is not good even if you are going to replace the chain it needs to stay in place.
                              Of course You do have a manual
                              Phil
                              Awesome, I'll try my luck with the RTV and if need be I'll pull her apart to swap head gaskets. I rebuilt this engine on the bench so it was a lot easier.
                              '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)

Comment

Working...
                              X