81 rewire gig south jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ED,

Got your PM Looks like that bike has been sitting a few years.
    You might want to send the link from PO posts to give an idea to everyone what has taken place in the past.
    There is some work to do to get it going.
    Here's what I can do to help I have an 81 special same bike all electrical is in tact 100%. The bike was hit in the Sandy storm only up to the carbs all electrically works and I saved the starter. I had so much going on at the time I could not save the engine and it locked up.
    If you want you can have the bike for free and transfer everything to your bike
    It was a great bike and all chromed out new tires before the storm It has lots of great parts. It still had spark and all electric worked fine after the storm.
    You can come pick it up within the next 2 weeks would be great.
    82 XJ1100J
    81 Venturer
    Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Here is a link to the ad for my bike when I bought it http://64.64.0.158/forum/showthread.php?t=20228

This is a link to a similar post on this forum by who I believe is the previous, previous owner http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35732

Thank you for all the help. I picked up a factory service and supplementary manual. My plan as of now is to clean the carbs,check the plugs, and change the oil. Then, pick up the bike from eastcoaster (thank you Gordon).

Next, I will change over to the handlebars with the factory switches and reinstall the stock ignition. Then I will remove Gordon's harness. Here's where I get iffy, Electricity is is like a foreign language to me so I plan to check each wire for continuity. I figure this will let me know that any problems will be component failures and not related in any way to this wire demon.

Finally, I'll switch tanks so my keys match, check the brakes, cables and tire pressures, and hit the road.

Am I missing anything?
      81 xs1100 SH
      81 xs1100 SH (parts)
      80 suzuki gs550et
      07 suzuki S40

Comment

Hey phats

Sounds like a solid plan. They only thing I would add is for you to take plenty of pictures with plenty of close ups of the wiring on the bike that Gordon is giving you before you start disassembly. Don't know how old you are but if anything close to me... I can't remember where I put a wrench 5 seconds ago. Sucks to get old but beats the alternative. Good luck as it sounds like your on your way to a solution. Gordon.... you da man.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

Good move on the Pix Jim also tag and label everything. This should be an easy swap. I would pull the whole front end off in one piece and just put on the bike. Its all there and all good to go.
          82 XJ1100J
          81 Venturer

Comment

Donor Delivery Set

Doing the donor bike delivery on Thursday. Should be able to do a swap for swap. I hope this gets the bike to run! The sandy storm bike had all electrical working and spark after the storm so should be good to go I will check the carbs do a compression test on Ed's bike and anything else I can help with when I am there.
            Keep us posted on the progress and If you need any help we are here.
            82 XJ1100J
            81 Venturer

Comment

Eastcoaster was nice enough to deliver me his 81 to my house. Now, I have to carefully document all connections (pics) and thoroughly check each wire in the harness before installation.

The bike has everything I need: Switches, gauge cluster, harness, front fender and most importantly the stock ignition (with keys). The tank is beautiful too.

You guys are very helpful and quick to respond. I am grateful for such a dedicated community. Thank you Gordon for everything, and I will wear my patch with pride.

I'll keep everyone posted and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Thanks again,
              Ed
              81 xs1100 SH
              81 xs1100 SH (parts)
              80 suzuki gs550et
              07 suzuki S40

Comment

Ed
                You are well on your way. The Pictures of your bike do it no justice. It is really in great condition and a very nice clean bike. I have a new respect for modifications. It looks good.
                Keep us posted
                82 XJ1100J
                81 Venturer

Comment

Working...
                X