81 rewire gig south jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 rewire gig south jersey

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I need someone in the Philadelphia area to completely rewire my 1981 xs1100. I've had this bike for a few years and I've never heard it run. I bought the bike and a replacement harness off a member here a few years ago to no avail.

The bike has an automotive style ignition switch mounted to a fairing and some switches removed.
    Please help me! I'd really like to see this thing scoot

Ed
    81 xs1100 SH
    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
    80 suzuki gs550et
    07 suzuki S40

Best advice I can give is to fix the previous 'fixes' and put the wiring back to stock. At that point, then it's just a matter of carefully following the factory manual (and individual circuit diagrams) and connecting/plugging the various components in. Most automotive switches don't function the same as the OEM switches, trying to integrate them into a bike can be very difficult unless you're very savvy, and even then changes to the harness can become necessary.

Nearly all electrical issues on these bikes can be traced to poor connections. Look here.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35337
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Ed,

Like Steve said, fixing it will probably be easier. A Fairing does add some complexity to the situation, but it should be mostly just LIGHTS, but if the PO didn't know what they were doing they could have spliced into the wrong wires inside the headlight bucket.

Next, did you get the same year harness....an 81? The TCI is a bit different with the 81's vs. the 78-80's, and so the plugs for the TCI may not match up exactly.

Finally, instead of trying to totally rewire it, a request for someone close to you to come "help" you figure out the wiring with some troubleshooting processes will probably be more likely to succeed and for you to get someone or some Xsive(s) to be willing to make an in person laying on of hands to get you up and running!? Regrettably, I'm way down here in VA, so I can't be of much help otherwise....hopefully some other Xsives will see this followup and contact you about getting together to provide some assistance.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I would love it someone could simply fix the harness, I suppose it doesn't need total replacing.

I said rewire because I assumed it would be less actual labor than troubleshooting the entire system. I am not competent when it comes to electrical, but not for a lack of trying.

That's just it though, I'm tired of trying. At this point I'd rather have someone else do it. I've been over the stock wiring diagram and chop diagrams and I can't seem to find my fault.

The harness that was on the bike looked like a squirrel got to it and someone fixed everything with the same color wire. I replaced it with a stock harness from another 81. The diagrams I see lead me to believe it's the right harness as their tci connections are the same.
        81 xs1100 SH
        81 xs1100 SH (parts)
        80 suzuki gs550et
        07 suzuki S40

Comment

Wiring

I don't know if this helps or not but it is amazing how few wires need to be hooked up for a bike to run My El Toro bike has minimal wiring but with full harness .Try hooking up the bare necessities alt.rectifier coils pulser coils grounds starter kill switch etc.so it will run..After that you can move on to headlight taillight instruments brake lights and so on instead of everything at once...good luck
          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Hi phatts27,
            We have all been discouraged at some point bringing our bikes back into service. Hang in there
            Like you many of us find the wiring to be a daunting task.
            Electrickery and Magic smoke are two expressions we use

I do not recall seeing any posts from people in your area so online help is your best option. I would suggest you source a replacement ignition switch
            http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs1100/?filters[category]=electrical&filters[fitting]=custom
            there are two styles.
            Take some pictures of your bike. you will need a photobucket or similar
            (free online hosting) to be able to post pictures.
            The first part of your VIN will identify the bike and picture will confirm if it has been altered. Add this info to your profile. This helps the "gurus" to give the correct advice for your particular model.

Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

It'll be another 6 hours until daylight, then I'll see if the rain lets up. I'll have to see how many wires are on the lead for the ignition, order 1 and I will try to get some pictures up.
              81 xs1100 SH
              81 xs1100 SH (parts)
              80 suzuki gs550et
              07 suzuki S40

Comment

Last edited by phatts27; 10-23-2014, 01:17 PM.
                81 xs1100 SH
                81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                80 suzuki gs550et
                07 suzuki S40

Comment

Yep, you've got a challenge.... but I've seen worse brought back to life.

If you have a good stock harness, do yourself a favor and pick up the stock handlebar switches, along with a new fuse panel. I don't get why guys remove the controls; the amount of mods needed to retain the headlight lo/high, horn, kill switch, and starter button and relocating these functions is a PITA. This will also allow turn signals if you want to run them. Top Cat here on the forum sells the new fuse panels for a modest price, and Andrea Weiss can fix you up with used controls (and probably the ignition switch) out of his stock; look in the 'parts for sale' forum for how to contact him.

Sorting wiring isn't that tough, it just takes time. Be methodical, do one circuit/wire at a time. Invest in a multimeter and some DeOxit, use the factory wiring diagrams.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Ed,

Okay, glad you got an 81 harness for the swap. And from the photos it does look like you have an 81 SH moderately modded, the VIN#'s on the frame neck and clutch case cover should begin with 4RO. Also looks like either yourself or the PO installed the ATCO style fuse block, so that's a plus. Like you said, you have an Automotive style ignition switch. The 81 had a separate MAIN FUSE on the left side of the bike/frame, but with all of the relocation that the PO did, it's hard to say whether it's still there, or if he routed it thru the main fuse panel??

I think it was Matt who recently posted the route the power takes from the battery to the main ignition switch, which wire(s) are involved, and then from the switch back to the fuse panel. And then from there to the respective circuits....ignition, headlights, turn signals, etc.. So...like you said, getting a proper ignition switch could be a good starting point to try to ensure that the power gets routed to where it's supposed to go when you turn the key on.

You never said what if anything happens when you turn the key on? Were you able to get the bike/engine to turn/spin with the starter button, but it wouldn't fire or what??

When you do get it running, hope you don't plan on going too far, with those knee indents in that Special tank, you will have lost even more capacity and range, be lucky to get 100 miles from a tankful.

I don't see the Fairing you mentioned....just a thick harness/cable draped across the left top of the engine/valve cover hanging down to the ground??

Your location is near Camden, East of Newark, Southeast of Philly, Southwest of Trenton and further up NYC, Northwest of Atlantic City, Southeast of Allentown, East of Harrisburg, Northeast of Baltimore. Just mentioning these for others who may be near these locations could more easily tell if they are relatively near you.

We're here willing to assist you in diagnostic steps if you're willing to try again.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Phatts,
                      Oh Boy ! Do you still have the basket that came in
                      Keep your eyes open on this site as people frequently offer up parts they have at very low prices ..sometimes Free to a good home.
                      http://s858.photobucket.com/user/Max...?sort=3&page=1
                      the link should take you to my photobucket file for XS1100. there are some subfiles too. Mine is an 81H which is similar to your SH.
                      If you do not already have a manual it is available on here. look for
                      CatatonicBug and download it. BA80 has a colour copy of the wiring diagram
                      which would be easier to 'read"
                      I hope you have a garage to work in or you could get frostbite

Good luck
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post

I think it was Matt who recently posted the route the power takes from the battery to the main ignition switch, which wire(s) are involved, and then from the switch back to the fuse panel. And then from there to the respective circuits....ignition, headlights, turn signals, etc.. So...like you said, getting a proper ignition switch could be a good starting point to try to ensure that the power gets routed to where it's supposed to go when you turn the key on.

We're here willing to assist you in diagnostic steps if you're willing to try again.

T.C.
                        Yes sir. I do believe I mentioned something of the sort.

Being the electronics tech at the shop, I get ALL the wiring rats nests tossed in my lap. As stated above from other well experienced cycle gurus, don't lose faith. I can't agree more with the one circuit at a time method. All bike circuits are linear. They start from a source of power and end at ground. (Except the alternator AC lines that loop from the alternator to the rectifier and back) In the diagrams you can get, try not to get overwhelmed as you look at the quadruple plaid mess of lines before you. Most (keyword) diagrams follow a similar pattern of rules. If some of the symbols or wire connections seem intimidating, search the net for a legend or guide to translating wiring schematics. Once you're confident with reading the schematic, print a few copies out, grab a ruler and some crayons, trace the vitals from the battery, to fuse(s) power switch. Then with test light or continuity meter trace each one at a time. You'll soon develop a skill quickly as long as you take good notes in a notebook, and take your time. Frustration breeds errors almost instantaneously. After you've got main power traced and figured out, move on to the lights etc. For super messy harnesses, look at the top and bottom of the diagram. Most have block images of the associated switches and sensors you can use to count the wires and see the associated colors involved. IE, near the headlight you find a group of six wires with certain color wires, looking around the diagram you will find a similar plug with wire colors that match. Masking tape and a sharpie and you can easily mark plugs or wire groups that match your notebook. Trace, repair, clean the connectors. Lets ride!!
                        Matt
                        81H Rebirth/Custom Build
                        1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
                        PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
                        http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Comment

Hi Phatts,

I am your neighbor in Ocean City. I can help you out and get this to run
                          along with the help of everyone on this site we can do it. We will help you get it going Everyone has helped me get several basket cases back on the road I had 3 bikes go completely under in the sandy storm and got to 2 run I can stop by and give you a hand next week and go from there best to get back to stock as possible don't get discouraged we have all been there.
                          Gordon
                          82 XJ1100J
                          81 Venturer
                          Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Thanks guys

Gordon, I hope for your sake Sandy only got into the garage. I'm only busy on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Any weekday is good for me. I can't wait to get this guy on the road again.

This bike has no kill switch. Do you guys think I could use the kill switch from my 81 xs650?
                            81 xs1100 SH
                            81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                            80 suzuki gs550et
                            07 suzuki S40

Comment

That works guessing you are right off rt30

I would hold off till I get a look at it but give us as much information you can TC made some good points Does it crank or completely dead look at his others.

Are the carbs cleaned ?
                              What are you looking to do electrically? turn signals,? This automotive ignition switch could be a nightmare.

What else have you done have you got it to crank do a compression test?

Do you have an inside area to work or weather a factor.

When I started 2 years ago I knew nothing and still don't but with the help of the experts there is nothing you can't do you just have to look at the time it takes to do it and the expense It can all be fixed

Touch base Monday see what works
                              82 XJ1100J
                              81 Venturer
                              Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Working...
                              X