high heat paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high heat paint

have 80 xs11 lg midnight special and want to paint/re-paint engine, exhaust, frame. what paint is good for this? will rustoleum high heat work and does it come in a glossy black?

I have used Duplicolor engine paint

500* temp and it comes in gloss, satin and flat multiple colors too.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

paint

did you use it on exhaust? rustoleum is 1200 degree

Comment

exhaust painnt

how hot does exhaust get to?

Comment

Just for the engine and frame. I have not had any luck painting the exhaust. Even the hi temp paints don't seem to last.
          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by cmpnbd2 View Post
            how hot does exhaust get to?
            A properly tuned engine , at full throttle, will have 1250 +/- deg exhaust gas temperature, a few inches from the valve. Since you don't run at full throttle most of the time, 1000 to 1100 would be a good guess. As the gases go down the pipe, they cool off.
            Retarded timing, and/or a rich mixture will allow gases that are not done burning to exit the valve, and impart more heat into the head and pipe.
            Stock pipes are double walled, so discoloration is not a problem with them.
            The chrome plating process and chemistry also has an effect on how much or little the chrome on single walled pipes will change color.

CZ

Comment

paint

seems that the rustoleum would be the one to use for exhaust , engine,trans,and duplicolor for anything with no heat involved

Comment

For the exhaust you will need to use something like this.... http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/fini...glacier-black/ . This is a ceramic based paint and is rated for 2000 degrees.

As for the frame and engine the High temp 1200 degree paints work well and you can get them in semi, gloss and flat as needed.

I too own an 80LG and that is what I used for mine and it has held up well. I am looking at the cerakote product for redoing my exhaust system.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

Pretty much any paint won't last on the exhaust. The MNS has what's called "black chrome" on the exhaust system. It's chrome but back just as it's name suggests.

Black ceramic coating would be your best choice there.

This is what I would suggest if you want to paint frame or body parts.

http://www.66autocolor.com/Car-Spray.../spm-black.htm
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

For frame and body parts (tank, covers, etc.) use a good automotive paint if you want long life.

If you want to finish your exhaust pipes then preparation is the key and there simply are no shortcuts. Products from here - www.techlinecoatings.com/ - are great and you can mail order them. Have used them for years with no problems.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

exhaust paint

I painted my exhaust with VHT ceramic rattle-can purchased at O'Reilly's. 5000 miles later it looks like the day I put it on. No primer, just scuffed up the chrome good, cleaned it off with acetone, and followed the directions. It's not glossy, but flat in a sparkly kind of way. I like it and it is easy to touch up rock chips and such.
                      "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Working...
                      X