? about jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about jetting

Hi all, noob here. Thanks for the add! Bought and XS11 couple weeks back and tearing down a but to customize. I'm replacing the stock 4-2 exhaust with the Mac 4-2 turnout exhaust. I went to a Dealer the other day and he scared the bejeezus out of me when I asked him about pricing for tuning and told him about this exhaust mod. He made it sound like the worst thing I could do and would probably be 5 hours of billed labor ($95/hr!) to test and tune to get jets right. And that everytime the temp changes, I'll be back.

My question is,.....the Mac and stock exhaust are both 4-2 baffle systems. How much different can they really be? I live in NJ where temps go from 50-90 from spring to fall.

Thanks and look forward to getting to know you guys!
    Rob - 79 SF

There are a lot of people here who would kill for a stock exhaust!

The MAC should work OK and you tune it yourself. We're here for you.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
      Hi all, noob here. Thanks for the add! Bought and XS11 couple weeks back and tearing down a but to customize. I'm replacing the stock 4-2 exhaust with the Mac 4-2 turnout exhaust. I went to a Dealer the other day and he scared the bejeezus out of me when I asked him about pricing for tuning and told him about this exhaust mod. He made it sound like the worst thing I could do and would probably be 5 hours of billed labor ($95/hr!) to test and tune to get jets right. And that everytime the temp changes, I'll be back.

My question is,.....the Mac and stock exhaust are both 4-2 baffle systems. How much different can they really be? I live in NJ where temps go from 50-90 from spring to fall.

Thanks and look forward to getting to know you guys!
      Ask those that run them.....BA80 comes to mind, and IIRC.......no change needed to.
      BTW.......a 'dealer' doesn't automaticly make them 'smart'...........99.9percent of time it's exactly the opposite.......old OR new modern bikes.........but don't get me started on that subject........trust me, they're clueless cept what salesman tell them that walk thru the door.......and U already know what that's worth ...
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks guys. I just got off phone with Mac's tech guys. He said since I'm going from a 4-2 baffle to 4-2 baffle it should be fine. He had the same sentiment when I brought up the "dealership guy". Pipes should be on by weekend. Will let ya'll know.
        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I have the Mack turnout system on my SG. I like it. It does however run slightly leaner than the stock system since it is more free flowing.

I upped jet sizes by 1 size on both the pilot and the main jets a couple years ago and it helped quite a bit. I think I could have gone 1 more size up on both because it's still just a tick lean.

I have the same carbs you do. I like the older style because of the adjustability they allow. Much more than the newer 80 - 81 or XJ carbs allow.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Read between the lines

What the dealer is telling you is that he does not want to deal with it, because you have a 30+ year old machine, not that it cant be easily done.

Plenty of tuning tips to be had on this site but if you are switching out a 4-2 for a 4-2 you are probably OK with stock jetting.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

stock exhaust

why are changing them. Whats the condition of the stock system. Don't let the installer keep them. Bring them home with you and offer them to the membership.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                I have the Mack turnout system on my SG. I like it. It does however run slightly leaner than the stock system since it is more free flowing.

I upped jet sizes by 1 size on both the pilot and the main jets a couple years ago and it helped quite a bit. I think I could have gone 1 more size up on both because it's still just a tick lean.

I have the same carbs you do. I like the older style because of the adjustability they allow. Much more than the newer 80 - 81 or XJ carbs allow.
                BA80, what you might consider since your bike uses the early carbs, and you regularly ride LD with higher speed 'slab' cruising is put one of the teeny- tiny washers that's used on the later carbs mixture screws between the 0ring and spring. Put it under the metering rod clip. That will richen up the main circuit just a tad at cruisin' speeds . That's equivalent to half a step richer in the main circuit, and would be the 'tick up' your lookin .
                If needed, when I get back to biz......er Colo., can get you the Suzuki part #. Those ARE still available thru mother Suzy, but NA from mother Yammy .
                Last edited by motoman; 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  BA80, what you might consider since your bike uses the early carbs, and you regularly ride LD with higher speed 'slab' cruising is put one of the teeny- tiny washers that's used on the later carbs mixture screws between the 0ring and spring. Put it under the metering rod clip. That will richen up the main circuit just a tad at cruisin' speeds . That's equivalent to half a step richer in the main circuit, and would be the 'tick up' your lookin .
                  If needed, when I get back to biz......er Colo., can get you the Suzuki part #. Those ARE still available thru mother Suzy, but NA from mother Yammy .
                  Maybe he should lower the bowl level to richen it up then he wouldnt have to buy the washers. lol
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Just suggesting a legitimate, already proven solution Wade........from Ken Talbot almost a decade ago.
                    Maybe a l-o-n-g ride would suppress the suspect animosity .
                    Meanwhile.........carry on my fellow XSer .

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                      why are changing them. Whats the condition of the stock system. Don't let the installer keep them. Bring them home with you and offer them to the membership.
                      Hi Mack. I'm the installer. And just want a better looking system. Love the turnout style. Once I know they work good I will offer of the stockers which are in great shape.
                      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        On these carbs I have 5 settings on the jet needles just like a Dynojet kit for the newer ones but the older carbs came stock that way. No need for cobbling.

I'm running the needles on the middle groove. I have 2 more settings to raise them.

BTW, the springs on the needles on these early carbs are opposite the needle springs on the later ones so that would lean me out even more.
                        Last edited by BA80; 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          On these carbs I have 5 settings on the jet needles just like a Dynojet kit for the newer ones but the older carbs came stock that way. No need for cobbling.

I'm running the needles on the middle groove. I have 2 more settings to raise them.
                          Aware of the five slots, just have seen some reported instances here over the years where one step raisin' the needles was a bit more than needed. Anyway, was just a suggestion for the ' tick more richer' .

Comment

Working...
                          X