signal switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signal switch

The wire for my right turn signal came loose so I pulled it apart and soldered it back in place. Now, both signals work but the right will only work if I first push the switch towards the left then the right.
    What did I do? I'm thinking I bent one of those copper arms in there. Sound right? if so, witch one and which way do I need to bend it back?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

I know one of you brain surgeons has the answer to this....
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

No brain surgeon here, don't even play one on TV ! I would guess, bend them inward to where they are about the same. What I don't get is why you can push the opposite way you want, then push the way you want and then it works the way you want ? ? ? Easy enough to test it before putting it back together.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Done, they both look the same now. I'm out of town and was looking for ideas for when I get home.
        Glad to see you back up and posting!

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Mine does the same and I blame it on corrosion. After I do it a few times it works properly until the next time it sits for a few days. I live in an area with a lot of salt air and have no garage, only a carport.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
            Done, they both look the same now. I'm out of town and was looking for ideas for when I get home.
            Glad to see you back up and posting!
            I would try cleaning with a pen/pencil eraser, then check, if working dielectric grease them. Pen eraser is more abrasive.
            Thanks ! Good to be back, now working on pulling a wrench
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I cleaned everything when it was apart using de-oxit. It wasn't a problem before. I also changed the rear light assemblies with new units. New wire from the plus on the fender back. Cleaned the whole wire trail with de-oxit and a small round wire brush for all the connectors before I found the broken wire. I'll just pull it apart when I get back home.

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

fix is in your sights

Good for you Duane!

"Found the broken wire" Now fix is esy.
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                X