Venturer VIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
    Agreed. That's a lot of ciphering. Glad to "remember" that the VIN rules changed in 1981 (thanks to Greg). I had forgotten about that. I assumed that it applied to cars and trucks. Never even thought about if affecting motorcycles?
    Had the same issue........32yrs. Ago when I bought mine new.....was told "not enough characters in Vin to be an 81"...... To the extent it had to be inspected by state patrol before it left showroom floor licensed .....
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Venturer VIN

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Had the same issue........32yrs. Ago when I bought mine new.....was told "not enough characters in Vin to be an 81"...... To the extent it had to be inspected by state patrol before it left showroom floor licensed .....
      I have 2 Venturers - one with a short VIN and one with a long VIN? Does not make a lot of sense.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
        I have 2 Venturers - one with a short VIN and one with a long VIN? Does not make a lot of sense.
        Yup.....as Greg stated the latter produced, after mid-year 80 production had 17 character vin no.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Pre-81 automobiles had the shorter VIN too. Screws with the computers nowadays.
          I got tired of phucking with Maryland DMV over the VIN issue and sold the bike. Every time I turned around I was getting a notice about lack of insurance. The last time I switched insurance the agent put a bunch of zeros to make 17 characters but my title didn't have that many.
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
            I got tired of phucking with Maryland DMV over the VIN issue and sold the bike. Every time I turned around I was getting a notice about lack of insurance. The last time I switched insurance the agent put a bunch of zeros to make 17 characters but my title didn't have that many.
            If you can't do anything else the government will give you a LIFETIME job.......
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
            X