Fuse Panel Picture for 81H ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse Panel Picture for 81H ?

Does anyone have a picture of the fuse panel area on an 81H ?
    I am trying to clean up the current mess of functioning wires
    I have a TC panel to install and would like to know what sequence the wires go in. ie which colour goes where.?
    A picture being worth a 1000 words
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

From an SH, completely stock. Sorry about the color.. Wife's camera sucks and the batteries are dead in mine.

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

It's my Special, but it should be close enough.

The heavy gauge wires reside in the blue terminals. The smaller wires are in the red terminals. I hope this gets you there.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Thanks Tod & Marty
        I think I know what I want to do now.
        Just seeing RED in my mouse nest.

I'll let you know when i gather enough courage to snip a red wire

Phil
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Fit a blade fuse box and the just snip one wire at a time and connect one end to the top of the blade fuse box and the other end to the bottom. It's easy enough to do..i just did it myself. Looking at your pic, at least you know which wires are which as they are actually fused and looking pretty orderly to me.

Don't make the mistake of snipping everything in sight, in one go! Just one wire at a time into the new fuse box and that's it done..... Otherwise, if you snip the lot in one go, you'll possibly lose track of what ends are supposed to join up with what!

Here's mine before...it looked a bit daunting at the time until I realised that there were no mysteriously unattached wires

Then, I fitted the box and snipped one wire at a time and joined it to the box, leading to this ' after'......

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Not a H but my F...

If you have spare slots throw some extra fuses in them for backups.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post

If you have spare slots throw some extra fuses in them for backups.
              a different model but the same principle, eh? If the messy looking wires are at least joined up and fused, the mess is easy to sort out, eh? It's a darned sight harder when it's just a mess of unjoined wire ends.....
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks guys,
                I have always only planned to snip one at a time
                I was looking for the sequence of the original fuse panel.
                so far Tod and in a separate thread Scott have provided what I wanted to know.
                Thanks
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                  Thanks guys,
                  I have always only planned to snip one at a time
                  I was looking for the sequence of the original fuse panel.
                  so far Tod and in a separate thread Scott have provided what I wanted to know.
                  Thanks
                  Phil
                  Oh, I just fitted mine and didn't really mind the actual sequence of the fuses in the box. Some of the wires were a bit short, so I just went with whatever order was physically possible. So long as the ratings of the fuses are correct, the actual order of them in the line doesn't make much difference. A process of switching things on with a low 5 amp fuse in each circuit and pulling it out or watching it blow, soon established what the rating for each circuit was. Not nice to get them mixed up!
                  Last edited by James England; 08-16-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Hey Phil,

I'll just add that as you saw with Tods picture, they are all 10 A except for the turn signals which are 20. The turn signals also have a heavier gauge wire compared to the others. And from what I remember SCOTT/3 phase saying was that one side is the HOT side....and they are all brown...except the TAIL which appears to be BLUE. The other harness side wires for the different circuits don't really matter which one they connect with since they are 10A circuits anyways.

Now, the 81 has the MAIN fuse in a separate fused link on the left side. IT is also a glass fuse, so you may want to think about moving it....but the wires are much thicker and it takes a 30 A fuse.

The other thing to do is to route the AUX terminal thru the fuseblock as well so you don't have to use a glass fuse for it either. I think I posted a description of how to do that, route the wires from the AUX slot to the fuseblock.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC,
                      I have looked at the Main fuse and it is in good condition so I do not plan to move it. The aux power point is not currently used either so not presently a plan to move it. In the future I will likely move the driving lights from the current inline fuse but that is a project for the future.

Phil
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

After a couple of false starts and a couple of visits to the store i finally cleaned up my fuse panel

Before

After.

And room to streamline some other circuits too. Now my quest for more voltage to provide more light from my headlight really begins.
                        Tinman905 insisted we replace connectors behind the panel when we had the engine out earlier this summer.

Phil
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                          Thanks Tod & Marty
                          I think I know what I want to do now.
                          Just seeing RED in my mouse nest.

I'll let you know when i gather enough courage to snip a red wire

Phil
                          The Blue wire! Snip the BLUE wire first!!

Ah I am too late. Guess I would have blown up.

JW
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                            The Blue wire! Snip the BLUE wire first!!

Ah I am too late. Guess I would have blown up.

JW
                            HAHA! good one
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

How do you guys crimp the flag terminals?
                              '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
                              '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Working...
                              X