Marvel mystery oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel mystery oil

First off please remember I'm new to the motorcycle world, but I did something really stupid and I need to know how bad the consequences might be.

So I added about 16 ounces or more of Marvel mystery oil to my XS' gas tank and the other 4-8 ounces to the oil, why I did it isn't important. I thought I was helping my bike because my Dad use to make me add it to my car and we'd dump the whole bottle in. Force of habit brought this mistake about. How bad is it gonna ruin my engine and or carbs and or anything I'm unaware of. Did it yesterday, bike barely started today but with some carb cleaner spray on the pods it started up. It's running but it's not running as well as it was. Anyone who can tell me what I should do or knows what's the best step forward please lend a hand. I'm learning (apparently the hard way) but learning none the less.
    79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Just empty the tank, refill it with fresh fuel then run the bike. I doubt you have done any damage!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

plus 1

on what James said. Siphon as much gas as you can out of the tank and top back off with fresh and let is cycle through. Fortunately the marvel is combustible. I have been using this product for years, albeit, not in the amount you are experiencing and it has never done any damage. Been using it in all my bikes.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        Just empty the tank, refill it with fresh fuel then run the bike. I doubt you have done any damage!

Change the oil, too!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Save the gas, and add about a pint to every tank of fresh gas, and it will lube the top end, and not waste the MMO.
          You might run the engine till it warms up, and then let it set a day before you drain the oil, and it might do some good on the ring deposits. No high RPM runs though.
          cz

Comment

Get a length of fuel line, attach it to the left fuel outlet when the bike is on the sidestand, drain the fuel/oil into a gas can by turning the petcock to PRIME.

Put in fresh gas and gradually use the gas/oil mix in some engine (car, truck, bike) when you have mostly fresh gas in the vehicle.

Having the clutch slip might be a result of the MMoil, but change it with fresh oil and change it again if it slips badly, and you'll be good to go.
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

So it's running good now. Thanks for the advice. When I had asked I had just got home after riding from where I had been working on it in my friends garage and used up most of my gas/mmo mixture. So the next day when I tried starting it and riding of course this is when it was riding bad, but I filled up the tank that day, last night I took it back out and put in more gas diluting it even more and now it's running fine. Seems to have worked out of the system. Thanks for the help!
              79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

I hope you aren't running that stuff in your oil!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Marvel Mystery is great stuff but not good for this bikes oil. This bike has a wet oil clutch and you have to depend on oils without certain additives. The clutch can absorb additives and be prone to slip.
                  To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends
                  Rear trunk add-on
                  http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I did put some in my oil but I am gonna change the oil and filter soon. It's running a lot better today. Ran so smooth today. Just about completely out of the system.
                    Last edited by MichaelisEvolving; 08-12-2014, 03:40 PM. Reason: Autocorrect messed up some words

Comment

or MAYBE its just in the right dilution to smooth things out!
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                        or MAYBE its just in the right dilution to smooth things out!
                        Hmmmmm.........'mechanics in a can'..........yea, right.......surely you remember the add out of Clint,TX?
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Mmo

Look around and find a gas station that sells E0 (non-ethanol) gas. It costs more than E10 and is usually a point or 2 up in octane rating. Most marinas sell E0 gas.

Run a tank full of this through the engine. Afterwards, leave E0 in the tank whenever you park it for extended periods and/or over the winter. E0 will eliminate carb/fuel system problems.

MP
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelisEvolving View Post
                            I did put some in my oil but I am gonna change the oil and filter soon. It's running a lot better today. Ran so smooth today. Just about completely out of the system.
                            Michael,

STOP RIDING THE BIKE while you have MMO in the oil. It thins the oil too much, and can lead to damaging your crank/rod bearings!

When we suggest folks put MMO in their engines to help free up stuck piston rings, clutch plates, and general devarnishing, we always tell folks to NOT RIDE the bike, do NOT put any LOAD on the engine. Only run it on centerstand, and no high revs or WOT revs. Just long enough to get it pumping thru the engine/oil galleys, and then DRAIN IT and put in fresh oil and new filter!

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

MMO has been put in crankcases since before any of us were born, and driven millions of miles mixed with engine oil.

What follows is my opinion based on experience with an 80G and using MMO for a long time in cages. Let the flogging begin...

4-8 ounces in a crankcase with the XS's capacity ain't gonna do a THING to hurt the engine. You get more oil breakdown riding the bike 1000 miles than that amount of MMO will thin a crankcase worth of oil.

Resurrecting my 80G which had sticky oil control rings, I ran half a quart of MMO in the crankcase along with soaking the top end through the spark plug holes and letting it sit and adding it to fuel in proper amounts.

All it did was free the rings and correct the oil consumption problem, just like I hoped it would. And no clutch issue either while running MMO.

The MMO can't just be idled through the system then drained to do its work. Needs to be run normally during an oil change interval, which has been done for almost a century. That'd be like adding Seafoam to your full fuel tank, running it around the block then draining the tank and saying the Seafoam did its job.

I believe a lot of the negatives are from MMO freeing up a crap ton of junk in an old engine and clogging oil passages, thus starving the engine of fresh oil. Not from thinning the oil unless used in quantities above what Marvel recommends. Especially in a 15w-40 or 20w-50 oil...

That said, anyone worn out a low end that could be directly attributed to running MMO in their oil?
                              Last edited by Bonz; 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                              X