No announcement yet.

what temp should the exhaust pipes be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what temp should the exhaust pipes be?

Ok I have a very clean XS1100 special with 20,000 original miles on it the head gasket was leaking so I replaced it and since I had it apart I relapped the valves and put the correct shims in and since then it hasn't quit ran right. Its been stumbling on idol and stumbling at 3,000 rpm besides for that it runs out very strong. I put my temp gauge on the after market 4 into 1 headers and the pipes were hitting mid 650 degrees which I thought was a bit lean so I pull the tops of carbs which was a dirty rotten SOB since the Phillips screw were beyond tight had the use hammer and chisel on 3 of them and of course the worse ones were the ones you couldn't get at straight because of the frame and as long as I was at it I 86ed the octy that%$#@*&%& thing what dumb ass came up with that nightmare should be shot! And I replaced all the Phillips with S/S Allen head bolts so I would never have that problem again. Anyway I put one washer on the needle to raise it and it seem to start and idol a little better with choke one but the rest didn't change much still stumbles at 3,000 rpms and it still doesn't idol that great? Temp on it now is upper 500 degrees so whats next? new plugs filters like new oil n filter new so whats next? ran great before I took it apart and still balls out runs great it just at 3,000 rpm n idol? still too lean? And no the idol circuit isn't dirty.
    Till then Mr.Bill
    79 XS1100 SPECIAL (2) 1100 wings- 82 HONDA CX 500 TURBO (2)77 GOLDWING 86 HONDA NIGHT HAWK 84 HONDA 700 83 nighthawk 650 SC-INTERCEPTOR 2 1975 RUPP CENTAURS VW TRIKE (2) 77 YAMAHA 750 TRIPLE 84 YAMAHA 600 83 GS 750 SUZUKI 70? CB350 Honda scrambler- THATS ALL THIS WEEK MR.BILL

The timing may be off when you took the cams out, make sure the marks line up on the cams/caps when at TDC, retarded timing will raise the exhaust temperature. JAT
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Howdy Mr. Bill. Got some restaurant background (86ed)? Anyways, I'd be more concerned with plug color over header temp.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Howdy Mr. Bill. Got some restaurant background (86ed)? Anyways, I'd be more concerned with plug color over header temp.
        86ed CB talk
        79 XS1100 SPECIAL (2) 1100 wings- 82 HONDA CX 500 TURBO (2)77 GOLDWING 86 HONDA NIGHT HAWK 84 HONDA 700 83 nighthawk 650 SC-INTERCEPTOR 2 1975 RUPP CENTAURS VW TRIKE (2) 77 YAMAHA 750 TRIPLE 84 YAMAHA 600 83 GS 750 SUZUKI 70? CB350 Honda scrambler- THATS ALL THIS WEEK MR.BILL

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          The timing may be off when you took the cams out, make sure the marks line up on the cams/caps when at TDC, retarded timing will raise the exhaust temperature. JAT
          Right on the money but thanks for the thought..
          Till then

Comment

Lean f/a mixture burns hotter than a rich mixture. You sure your not bloody rich? Were all 4 pipes the same temperature or was just one or two down in the 650 range? Some better details could help us help you but in general, exhaust temperatures are not really used to help tune. Usually only use them to determine if one cylinder is not firing. I'd expect the exhaust to be 800 or more I it's firing. Do a little search and you could probably find a few posts from use reporting their temps and asking they same questions you are...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              Lean f/a mixture burns hotter than a rich mixture. You sure your not bloody rich? Were all 4 pipes the same temperature or was just one or two down in the 650 range? Some better details could help us help you but in general, exhaust temperatures are not really used to help tune. Usually only use them to determine if one cylinder is not firing. I'd expect the exhaust to be 800 or more I it's firing. Do a little search and you could probably find a few posts from use reporting their temps and asking they same questions you are...
              Hum? I've been taught just the reverse rich is cold and lean is hot! give that a little thought? too much fuel will cool the combustion chamber and not enough will make it hotter. I am 66 yo and have built several race engines and have raced semi pro and that what I have learned/ too lean and your plug will be white, the richer your mixture the darker your plug. Lean is hot rich is cold? A lean engine will burn holes in your pistons and burn your valves fact I've done my share of burnt valves and pistons.
              Thanks for your thoughts.
              Till then Mr.Bill

Comment

Originally posted by mrbsyammy View Post
                Hum? I've been taught just the reverse rich is cold and lean is hot! give that a little thought? too much fuel will cool the combustion chamber and not enough will make it hotter. I am 66 yo and have built several race engines and have raced semi pro and that what I have learned/ too lean and your plug will be white, the richer your mixture the darker your plug. Lean is hot rich is cold? A lean engine will burn holes in your pistons and burn your valves fact I've done my share of burnt valves and pistons.
                Till then Mr.Bill
                We are saying the same thing about f/a ratio and heat generated as a condition. What your not picking up is that I think 600 deg header pipe is relatively cold. Combustion temperatures are closer to 4 digits, therefore 600 seems low, which is why Im askin if you could be overly rich.

Exhaust temperatures could be used to help tune and engine but not without EGT probes. Shooting a pyrometer at the down tube has a lot of variables involved and is not a common practice for the average person.
                Last edited by WMarshy; 08-11-2014, 11:59 AM.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Till then Mr.Bill
                  Ignore this reply tried to delete it and too late

Comment

Just for shets and giggles are lean it out and see what happens that's one way to find out I guess?
                    Till then Mr.Bill

Comment

This might help...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...st+temperature

Im unsure what temperature the headers should be on a well tuned motor. No one seems to have reported it... then, back to the variables thing...
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

Comment

Just for shets and giggles are lean it out and see what happens that's one way to find out I guess?
                        Till then Mr.Bill
                        Just stick with plug reading, way cheaper then turning your solid pistons into ventilated pistons.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

Comment

We are saying the same thing about f/a ratio and heat generated as a condition. What your not picking up is that I think 600 deg header pipe is relatively cold. Combustion temperatures are closer to 4 digits, therefore 600 seems low, which is why Im askin if you could be overly rich.

Exhaust temperatures could be used to help tune and engine but not without EGT probes. Shooting a pyrometer at the down tube has a lot of variables involved and is not a common practice for the average person.
                          I apologize for my reply I tried deleting it but wasn't quick enough since we both say the same thing I miss read it opps! I did look at that plug chart don't know if you sent me there but great chart I book marked it for sure. Iam going to ignore the temps for now and concentrate on it running properly and when I'm happy with it I'll check the temps for the fine tuning to be sure the cabs r set even. I am going to take the spacers out and listen to it and go from there and I shall return with the results.
                          Thank you, Till then Mr.Bill

Comment

not coming off throotle fast enough

got carbs better but now it takes it awhile to go back to idol?
                            Till then

Comment

got carbs better but now it takes it awhile to go back to idol?
                              Till then
                              Hmmmm........'hang idle' scenario. Other than not being synced correctly, including idle mixtures, almost guatentee idle/pilot circuit isn't as THROUGHLY clean as you may think .
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X