Need help in Idaho please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deoxit

won't hurt anything. Just from reading his posts and the way the bike is acting I am thinking carb related. Probably just need to be thoroughly cleaned, which if it were me is a job for when he gets home. Sounds like he is doing ok with the bike at highway speeds. Just hope he doesn't have any other problems before the end of his trip.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      I still don't know if there's a voltage problem or not except for the flakey spark plug boots. He measured some circuit voltages correctly with the multimeter positive lead to the test point and the negative lead to ground, then asked if he was doing it right but he didn't mention any of the voltages.

He kind of went off on a tangent and got 12.45V somewhere at the R/R. I'm not sure why he was checking the R/R but that could be a very good voltage or a very bad voltage, it depends on which wires he checked and the battery voltage at the time.

He tried to measure the total voltage drop across the entire ignition circuit by checking from the battery positive terminal to TCI Red/White wire. If done correctly that would tell you exactly how many volts were being lost in the circuit but he got 12.6V which is battery voltage and the only way you can get battery voltage from that particular test is if it's an open circuit. Evidently he checked the voltage when the Stop/Run (Kill) switch was off, the Ignition switch was off, the 10A Ignition fuse or the 30A Main fuse was loose or one of the connectors in the circuit wasn't plugged in.

Since he's got an '80LG, the voltage at the 2-pole Ignition coil connector would be useful because that would show if the coil primary voltage is correct and the Ballast Resistor is in good shape without unplugging any wires or taking stuff apart except for removing the seat and the fuel tank, something that's already halfway done when you check the voltage at the TCI.

Right now I think he's on the dark side of the moon and he'll check in later.

I need some more popcorn.

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
      won't hurt anything. Just from reading his posts and the way the bike is acting I am thinking carb related. Probably just need to be thoroughly cleaned, which if it were me is a job for when he gets home. Sounds like he is doing ok with the bike at highway speeds. Just hope he doesn't have any other problems before the end of his trip.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

A splash of seafoam and keep her pointed for home would be my suggestion.
        Seems to be running and making steady progress across the prairie.
        When he pops out from behind the perigee moon hopefully it will be all good news. Thanks to Scott for his continued advice on this thread.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
          No, it won't hurt anything and a few posts back I suggested leaving the carbs alone and running fresh fuel through the engine for a thousand miles or so.

Then Bill fixed a bad pick-up coil wire and was still having rideablity issues so I asked him to check three voltages: battery, Ignition coil primary and TCI. The voltages at those points are either good or they aren't and he can use them to fix the problem if it's electrical or look elsewhere. So far he's looked at a lot of elsewhere.

Motoman had exactly the same problem as Bill and he too swore up and down the mountains that it was a carburetor problem. During the Pike's Peak run in Colorado it turned out that his carburetors were having electrical problems when CaptonZap fixed the loose wire on the Ignition fuse supply rail in the fuse box.

-- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            No, it won't hurt anything and a few posts back I suggested leaving the carbs alone and running fresh fuel through the engine for a thousand miles or so.

Then Bill fixed a bad pick-up coil wire and was still having rideablity issues so I asked him to check three voltages: battery, Ignition coil primary and TCI. The voltages at those points are either good or they aren't and he can use them to fix the problem if it's electrical or look elsewhere. So far he's looked at a lot of elsewhere.

Motoman had exactly the same problem as Bill and he too swore up and down the mountains that it was a carburetor problem. During the Pike's Peak run in Colorado it turned out that his carburetors were having electrical problems when CaptonZap fixed the loose wire on the Ignition fuse supply rail in the fuse box.

With the kinda' mileage he's gettin', and the good runnin at the higher rpm's..........ain't nuttin' wrong with those carbs.......least nothin' that a little sea-foam and 1000+ miles won't correct. Not getting ridden regularly with alot of down time, combined with the natural elements that don't mix well with electrical is all that bikes issues are.........normal and minor.......AND a nicely done LG set up for the long haul.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well here's the latest. Voltage was 12.6 or 12.7 at the battery. I was still only getting 11.7 at the TCI ( key on, probe on neg battery terminal and on the red/white wire at TCI. The "tangent" was based on info dispensed last year concerning bad grounds causing voltage loss, I was trying to gather any piece of info that the collective might deem pertinent...sorry if it just confused things. Don't know how to check starter seliniod in Scott's diagram so I went to the 30 amp fuse and got 12.5v there. The 10 amp ignition switch voltage was low at 11.9v. Squirting contact cleaner down the key hole of the switch and turning the key on and off repeatedly helped as the voltage at the TCI came up to 12.15v. Didn't touch the kill switch as I thought there was danger of losing small parts, also not familiar with the ballast resistor so that wasn't looked at.

I've run an entire can of Seafoam through the tank over the course of half a dozen fill ups. I did check the plugs for resistance, there is none. I don't believe the innards of the plug boots come out...they have the threads on one end that screws into the wire, the other end is just a round opening with a small retaining clip through it to keep the boot firmly in contact with the plug. And all 4 are 90* angle boots. I did clip 1/4 inch off each wire but they looked ok to me.

To kill time since I had the fairing, seat, and tank off I pulled the carbs to check them. Pulled and cleaned all pilots, mains, and emulsion tubes except #1 pilot as it's been rounded pretty good. Also discovered a repaired float post in #1. Past discussions have shown a difference of opinion as to whether simply pulling the carbs but not touching mixture screws, floats, butterflies affects the synch or not. So I went ahead and did it while waiting for more electrical trouble shooting guidance.

Got it all buttoned up, said a little prayer, primed the bowls, and it fired right up. It's still not right but has gotten better. I can pull away from a stop easier than before but it still skips some at lower rpm's.

I keep looking back at all the posts to see if I've answered/addressed all items, lot easier to do on a computer than an IPad, but I'm glad I have it!

Scott in post 49 you ask about ignition coil primary voltage...specifically how do I do that?

I sincerely appreciate all the help you have all given, mechanical issues miles from home are no fun when you are frustrated and struggling to repair things (well you asked for it when you flew off to Idaho I hear them say). I'm also caught between waiting for responses with the bike not operable while I wait vs getting on the road in it's present condition and putting some miles behind me. I'm about half way across SD now but all done sight seeing.

Tomorrow's another day, thanks.
              Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Actually, IMO, with your last post, don't think it'll get any worse! I'd just watch the oil level and pound out the miles home as MaximPhil stated.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

BTW, your sure not bashful bout sourcin' out the issues suggested........and with positive results on the electrical and pri. ignition side.
                  Pullin' that carb bank and dis-assembling is more than I'd be doin 'out on the road. 'Murphy,' I'd know would jump out of one of those float bowls and bite ME hard. To bad someone with less skill-sets previously had their fingers in those carbs......nothing that can't be resolved.......AFTER you get it home.
                  Be safe!........and definitely keep postin' of your progress till you hit home base!

I think you 'got this'..............without the drastic need of the infamous 'credit card and cell phone' scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                    ... Scott in post 49 you ask about ignition coil primary voltage...specifically how do I do that?
                    Don't sweat the petty stuff, Bill! I've been there along the road and so has everyone else here that's trying to help you stay alive long enough to get home and open up your own t-shirt stand!

For the Primary Ignition just measure the voltage from the 2-pole connector at the Ignition coils to ground. If the battery voltage is 12.6 the Ignition Primary +V should be ~11V because it's already gone through the Ballast Resistor.

The 2-pole connector is just above the Ignition coils by the front of the frame and under the fuel tank. There will be a Red/White wire with a 2-pole connector on it that looks like a large female spade connector with a clear plastic cover on it. The Red/White wires for both of the Ignition coils will be plugged into that connector and they are the Primary supply for the +V side of coils.

If you're feeling adventurous, the Orange coil wire is the Primary -V coil output to the TCI for the #1/#4 coil, the Gray wire is -V for the #2/#3 coil. They should both be ~9V to ground.

Oh, and as motoman said, keep an eye on the oil level in the engine and check it at every fuel stop. These engines have an unnerving habit of appearing to use little if any oil and then the next time you fill the tank the oil in the sight glass will be low or empty. Sustained high speeds can sometimes make it worse and it'll use more oil but just remember to check it whenever you stop and it won't matter at all.

Last edited by 3Phase; 08-09-2014, 11:32 PM.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Oil level continues to be fine, hasn't burned a drop but I keep watching it. I did lose the left side heat shield, must have rattled off along the highway somewhere. And I do have a small exhaust leak where the right muffler is welded on.

Motoman's, I hollered "anybody named Murphy around here!" And when nobody answered then I pulled the carbs...but I did steer clear of the float posts

I may check those voltages Scott suggests, just depends on weather, miles traveled, what time I stop at night, and my mood.

Looks like about 1400 miles to go yet so I'm shooting for Tues to get home. One day at a time...and this one is about to start.
                      Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Billy, when you get back we should get together and go for a day ride some weekend. Sounds like you've done about all you can at this time. Hope the rest of the ride is trouble free and happy to hear it's acting a little better. May the wind be a your back the the sunshine upon your face.
                        Last edited by WMarshy; 08-10-2014, 09:01 AM.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                          Thanks to Scott for his continued advice on this thread.
                          Phil
                          and to everyone else too, as usual. What a great resource when you're far away from home on a 'unkown' bike.

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                          Billy, when you get back we should get together and go for a day ride some weekend.
                          Can I join in the fun? Just let me know when!
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                            Can I join in the fun? Just let me know when!
                            Anyone can join. There's another member out in Rochester that I've rode with, I'll have to see if he wants to join us. Then if my Dad joins us that will be 5 XS's, that might be considered a rally.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                              Anyone can join. There's another member out in Rochester that I've rode with, I'll have to see if he wants to join us. Then if my Dad joins us that will be 5 XS's, that might be considered a rally.
                              Five of you can caravan to North Carolina in September. MaximPhil could join up with you too! He'll show you the way!
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                                and to everyone else too, as usual. What a great resource when you're far away from home on a 'unkown' bike.
                                +1! And thanks for the popcorn, Greg!

Hat's off to you, Billy, for diving in doing some serious work and troubleshooting as you go! I would never <crosses fingers behind back> take my bike apart along the side of the road; wish I could make it to the XS Southeast rally this year.

-- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X