Oil coming out of airbox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    If new to the bike......and bike new to you, may wanna watch for internal leaking of petcocks and float needles that WILL fill the crankcase with fuel if left on centerstand, along with leaking fuel out airbox. Not noticed and ridden WILL ruin your XS11 experiece.
    +1 on that, Brant ... shortly after I purchased my SF, found out (through this site) that I had a leaking Octy, and possibly a stuck float, and all the problems that could cause!

Gas coming from bottom of airbox, oil reaked of gasoline smell. Problem fixed, changed the oil twice, just to be on the safe side.

All thanks to the people on this site!

Of course, the G has the vacuum petcocks instead of the Octy, but the same problem will happen, as you say, if they leak.
    Marco

Current bikes:
    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
    1979 Honda CBX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

I had to rebuild the peacocks last year because they were leaking externally and internally. I had fuel in the airbox and coming out the lever.
      80 G, Spaghetti pipes, K&N in stock airbox, Galfer S/S lines.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. -Abraham Lincoln

http://80xselevenrebuild.blogspot.com/

Comment

BTW, if that site glass is clouded over, a shot of BrakKleen on the end of one of the long plastic straws works. Just be sure and hold straw with other hand so it doesn't drop in there!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Bob,
          I use a mirror on a stick to check the sight glass. available at your local parts store.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

oil dipstick

I wonder if anyone has thought about making some kind of a dipstick that
            could be heliarc welded to the cap....I had a sidecase off awhile back and it appeared that it would NOT interfere with internals....this only pertains to bikes without a kickstart...maybe it's up to me?
            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Working...
            X