No announcement yet.

Master cylinder? pics reuse or new kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master cylinder? pics reuse or new kit?

So i have a project bike, the master cylinder was all gunked up. I'm looking to spend the least amount of money on this bike. The brakes didn't do anything. I took apart the master cylinder cause no fluid was coming out at the top. Does it look like I can clean this up and reuse? or do i need a new kit?

81 XS11
    1984 Honda VF700s
    1974 Yamaha RD350

If it were me, I'd put a kit in it. There is the time vs. money to consider. You may have success doing a thorough cleaning, but if not, you do the job again. Also, it's brakes. They are priority #1 in my book.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

also, anyone know where i can get the brass washers cheap for the break lines?
      81 XS11
      1984 Honda VF700s
      1974 Yamaha RD350

Comment

I got a big box of copper washers at Harbor Freight for cheap.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
          I got a big box of copper washers at Harbor Freight for cheap.
          score, got a hf right by my work.
          81 XS11
          1984 Honda VF700s
          1974 Yamaha RD350

Comment

Bit the bullet, order new master cylinder rebuild and caliper rebuild too.
            81 XS11
            1984 Honda VF700s
            1974 Yamaha RD350

Comment

Good call

Brakes are nothing to play around with, especially on these bikes. You will never regret doing the job right the first time. Make sure the pistons are not pitted. If they are I would also look into replacing those with SS. A good site for those is HVC. Might want to do a search on caliper rebuilds. Quite an entertaining read but also full of good ideas. Good brakes help with mpg to. Of course YMMV.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                Brakes are nothing to play around with, especially on these bikes. You will never regret doing the job right the first time. Make sure the pistons are not pitted. If they are I would also look into replacing those with SS. A good site for those is HVC. Might want to do a search on caliper rebuilds. Quite an entertaining read but also full of good ideas. Good brakes help with mpg to. Of course YMMV.
                I've done brakes a couple times now. Unfortunately, can't really see the pistons cause i couldn't get them out because the master cyl wasn't pushing fluid down. I will inspect those when the time comes. And i use the K&L catalog and usually find the best price by just using the part number on ebay.
                81 XS11
                1984 Honda VF700s
                1974 Yamaha RD350

Comment

something I put in my toolbox

I bought a set of these to have in my toolbox. http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-4...FcZQ7AodylwAng

Very good at removing stuck pistons. They clamp much like a set of vice grips on the ID of the caliper then all you have to do is just strike down on a board slow but sure and the caliper will come out.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X