Rear Footpeg Risers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Footpeg Risers?

This is my first post, so I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this in. I am the proud new owner of an '81 XS11 Standard touring bike, so I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. I have lots of little projects to complete, but one of them has me stumped.

My wife is only 5'2", and she can barely reach the rear footpegs to ride 2-up with me. I'm not sure if the touring side-cases are the problem or if the rear of the king / queen seat is too tall, but I'm wondering if there is a way to raise the rear pegs. I tried searching here but haven't seen any info on this.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Scott in Oregon (aka Beefcake)

PS. My moniker is a joke referencing the fat kid on South Park. There was an episode where he was trying to "bulk up" and become a "Beefcake" by drinking a weight-gain supplement. When my ex-girlfriend's kids came to my house for the first time and saw a jug of protein powder on the counter, they started making jokes about it, and the name has stuck for nearly 15 years.
    81 H

?????

I don't know of anything right off hand, however I am sure you could take it to a shop and have something fabricated.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Hi Scott,
      You will need to fabricate something and or search the aftermarket foot rest/ foot board pages. The saddle bags certainly are part of the problem and i expect the saddle adds to it.
      I suggest you put the bike on the centre stand and have her sit on it and see where her feet are...in space then figure out a way to either add something to existing or replace.

Welcome to XS11. Nice to see another H Venturer join the fun.
      We like Pictures
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hey there,

Look for a recent thread about extra footpegs or cruisepegs, you'll then find some links to follow where you can get clamp on footpegs that you could put on the downtubes of the frame a bit higher than the OEM pegs so her feet can reach them, but can still keep/use the OEM ones for her to first step on to be able to get up onto the seat, and then fold the extra ones down into position for riding!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the site. I'm over in Salem, I could fab something up for you if you want.

Ride safe,
          Larry
          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
          82 XJ1100
          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Thanks everyone. Quick update: we rode today and things were better. The difference was that she wore boots with thicker soles and taller heels. They were basically low-heeled cowboy boots like wellingtons (not stripper boots as my initial description may have led you to imagine... ). I don't think the soles were enough to make the difference, but the heels gave her a way to hook her boot to the peg, and she said it was more comfortable.

I'll check out the downtubes to see if they may work for aftermarket pegs without getting in my way (even if my wife becomes comfortable with the original ones, our daughter can't reach them either and has been putting her feet on the saddle-bag crashbar instead; I'd feel better getting her into a more upright position rather than leaning against the sissy bar and relying on her balance).

Yahman, Thank you for the offer; I'll keep it in mind. Do you do welding / fab work regularly? Any interest in adding bunk brackets to my boat trailer?
            81 H

Comment

I do my fair share of fabrication and while I'm not an expert welder, I have welded many different things over the years and have had good success so far. Not sure what you mean by "bunk brackets" but I may be able to help you with your boat trailer. Send me a PM if your interested. I could ride over there and take a look at it sometime.

Ride safe,
              Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Working...
              X