Petcock to tank O-ring gasket ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock to tank O-ring gasket ??

I've been working on the Xj1100 I recently acquired and am very close to "Ready to Ride"

I had a petcock leak so I pulled them and found the washers on one petcock drain screws missing. I replaced them with plastic ones,,(Will they work for long?),,,cleaned everything, bent the washer spring a little and put back on.

Well,,it now leaks at the tank. I'd like to get this running while I wait for petcock rebuild kit.

So here's the question,,
    The 0-rings are still in one piece, but some cracks and what looks like rust.
    I'm soaking them in ArmorAll.
    If I put them back in, maybe with some Right stuff or YamaBond, do ya think they will seal for a while or am I asking for trouble??

It's sure hard to have to wait when I'm so close

82 XJ11

Get some round ones at local hardware store, they should fit right in there with minimal effort. Put a couple small dabs of RTV to hold them in place while fitting the fuel tap.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Get some round ones at local hardware store, they should fit right in there with minimal effort. Put a couple small dabs of RTV to hold them in place while fitting the fuel tap.
      Make sure the bolt washers/gaskets are in good shape, else fuel will leak down the bolt threads.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yeah, mine are leaking at the screws, you have to get the right fiber washer to stop that leak
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I did find some o-rings at Menards that will fit and some fiber washers.

How much do I need to worry about these plumbing o-rings & fuel?

Nobody carries the viton type, they have to be ordered.

Even the autoparts stores don't carry them here.
          82 XJ11

Comment

Most standard O-rings are made of nitrile rubber which will hold up to fuels. You should be ok, keep an eye on them just to be sure.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

One more thing...use the OEM flanged bolts without adding metal washers (only use the fiber ones), or the gas will seep.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks All,

I did buy new screws,,One of the original flanged ones is starting to round (phillips),,I'll use the old ones.

For anyone looking, The o-rings that appear to fit are, 1 1/4 id, 1 7/16 od, x 3/32 wall.

I'm headed out to put it all together,,,Keep your fingers crossed please,,I need all the help I can get!!

L.A.

Xj1100
                82 XJ11

Comment

just buy oem new ones from

MRCycles http://www.mrcycles.com/ or Partspak http://www.partspak.com/productcart/...sp?message=212 . They are not expensive. You can get the o rings washers and new screws if necessary.

Some things are not worth cutting corners on just to save 2 or 3 dollars. Where there is gas involved be safe and do the job right.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X