Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter disassembled, what to wash it in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter disassembled, what to wash it in?

Little leary about washng the starter windings etc in my solvent tank. Looked for James_Englands starter rebuild tutorial but couldn't find it. I'm thinking brake cleaner might be inert enough to not damage insulation on the windings/wires inside the starter??
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
    Little leary about washng the starter windings etc in my solvent tank. Looked for James_Englands starter rebuild tutorial but couldn't find it. I'm thinking brake cleaner might be inert enough to not damage insulation on the windings/wires inside the starter??
    Everything emmersed in a solvet tank and brushed clean will NOT hurt a thing.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Here you go Courtney....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=starter
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Thanks Phil! Read it over, and love that I can just soak it in my solvent tank and use a toothbrush carefully.
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Everything emmersed in a solvet tank and brushed clean will NOT hurt a thing.
          Thanks Motoman! It's soaking now overnight.

Comment

For a quicker result, you can always use carb cleaner in an aerosol......
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

James, I had carb cleaner on my fingers once and answered the telephone. It disolved some plastics - like telephone receivers. I use that stuff on a lot of things, but anything with electrical insulation is out of the question for me! I know, YMMV!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I ended up using brake cleaner which is just dry cleaning fluid, aka perchloroethylene. It was developed during the second world war to degrease small arms and other stuff. It is pretty easy on things, as you can imagine if you can use to clean brake parts, rubber etc. Worked like a charm. :-)

Comment

Wire insulation is about half and half made of either polyethylene or PVC. Polyethylene has an OK resistance to keytones (acetone aka carb cleaner) and PVC has a not so good resistance to keytones (especially acetone). In weak concentrations, pvc can be exposed to acetone with little to no effect but exposing it to high conceneration can and will dissolve the PVC wire insulation.

Long story short, using carb cleaner on your starter if it has PVC wire insulation is a poor idea at best.
                  78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                  79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

So Courtney the consensus is Dove with a Downey rinse I see
                    Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                    Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                    and SOXS
                    2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                      So Courtney the consensus is Dove with a Downey rinse I see
                      Thanks Hammy, I ended up putting it all in the dishwasher while Gail was out in her workshop making jewelry.

Comment

Working...
                      X