Regrounding the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regrounding the bike

First, I just bought an 80 midnight last month. Second, I'm slowly doing modern upgrades to make everything run more efficiently. I switched out the fuse box for a blade style box today and I feel like it made a difference.... My next project scheduled for Monday will be running new ground wires from the battery/chassis/block

I know on cars, if you run new, bigger ground wire from the battery to the chassis, the battery to the block, and the block to the chassis, it's called the big 3

Is that a thing with bikes? Should I even worry about it? What gauge should I use?

A couple more questions: should I switch out the main fuse on the left by the battery for a new blade style? Are there any other easy things I can do?

It doesn't slip out of gear like I've read some do. It does, however, not start for a couple hours after it's rained. I didn't know if that's something I should be worried about. I cleaned the carbs two weeks ago, they're good. The bike runs great! I just want to make sure I do some good for it too
    80 LG

welcome to the xs11 madness. Your going to like it here. You could and should remove and clean every ground on the bike. Upping the size of the wires isn't really going to buy you anything as the output of the charging system is fairly low and those little guys from Japan did a pretty good job of sizing the wires. Also disassemble every connection and clean it and reassemble using some dielectric grease. I'd also disassemble both controls on the handle bars. The kill switch on the right could be causing your no start when wet issue. The key switch can also be disassembled, cleaned and greased. I'm still running the glass fuses but have replaced the clips. Replacing the main fuse with a blade type is a good idea for pice of mind.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Quote:

First, I just bought an 80 midnight last month. Second, I'm slowly doing modern upgrades to make everything run more efficiently. I switched out the fuse box for a blade style box today and I feel like it made a difference.... My next project scheduled for Monday will be running new ground wires from the battery/chassis/block.

You can drastically improve the bike's electrical by configuring the grounds from OEM chassis grounds to direct battery grounds. Start out by adding a wire from where the battery ground cable bolts to the frame. Run another wire from that point to where the engine ground attaches to the frame. Add another ground wire from either of these points up to the regulator/rectifier (under the tank) mounting bolt that already has several ground wires on it. It is also a good idea to run a ground wire from there into the taillight harness atop the rear fender. By doing all of this, every chassis ground has been converted to direct battery grounds. Use 10-12 gauge wire. A smaller gauge can go to the taillight harness. You and the bike will be glad you did this.

Mike
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Cleaning every electrical connection and cleaning the controls on the handle bars will most likely solve the no start after a rain. If not I would look at your coils for cracks. I did the wiring upgrade that Mike is talking about and it improved the cranking power on the bike. Rain, shine, bike hot or cold and it has no problem starting.

By the way, Welcome to the forum from a fellow Utahan.
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

IIRC another wet no start problem source is the wires down to the timing cover, the connectors and such...folks have reported water getting down in there shorting across the wires in the connector.....the PU wires and neutral light and such.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
            Cleaning every electrical connection and cleaning the controls on the handle bars will most likely solve the no start after a rain. If not I would look at your coils for cracks. I did the wiring upgrade that Mike is talking about and it improved the cranking power on the bike. Rain, shine, bike hot or cold and it has no problem starting.

By the way, Welcome to the forum from a fellow Utahan.
            Thanks! Good to see another Utahn. I'm East of you in O town

The fuel lines are changed out, octy is gone, ground wires set. It runs great. Almost completely different than when I got it 2 months ago!

I will tear in to the kill switch and key hole tomorrow

What other mods are there to get it running better?
            80 LG

Comment

Originally posted by Shootoo View Post
              Thanks! Good to see another Utahn. I'm East of you in O town

The fuel lines are changed out, octy is gone, ground wires set. It runs great. Almost completely different than when I got it 2 months ago!

I will tear in to the kill switch and key hole tomorrow

What other mods are there to get it running better?
              Your pretty much 'on it' with what your doing. Ignition switch AND kill switch are known voltage drop areas that need attention. EveaporRust is your friend there. Drop all pieces including switch in some overnite......wa-la... all clean of corrosion and even the red insert of kill switch wil look like new.
              As a side-note, I ride up there least once a yr........just cause I can, to Layton. Makes for a nice ride, going the 'back way' to Vernal, Park City and on down Ogden canyon.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
              X