Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
    Ethanol enriched fuel was to be a pollution remover but actually when all things are added together it actually increases carbon output when you add in all it takes for production. What it has done is caused people to buy newer more efficient engines for weed eaters lawn mowers tractors cars etc because of the damage done and the aggravation of too much maintenance keeping them running with E10.

As an add on make sure you have fuel filters added to the lines. The new E10 not only causes carb problems but also causes more rust in any metal tank for transport or storage. Therefore more trash for the carbs. Its hell when you get it clean and one tank of trashy gas can stop it up again.
    The moral to this story - hunt around for a gas station that sells E0. When you find one, buy 5-10 gallons. Never leave E10 in anything for any length of time. If I don't run E10 out on a ride, I will drain it rather than leaving it in the tank. It is just that bad. I have spent too much money/time in the past on needed fuel system repairs because of E10. E0 is more $ up front. But the long term benefits of not having to clean/replace damaged fuel system parts is much cheaper $ wise and time wise. Put it any everything that you don't drive/ride daily - lawn mowers, generators, 4 wheelers, weed eaters, etc. You will be a happy camper.

Once fuel system components are damaged by E10, no fuel additive made will reverse the damage.
    Last edited by MPittma100; 06-26-2014, 07:53 PM.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Understood.

Is that straight up PineSol or a dilution? Start soaking tonight.

Do you think overnight should be long enough?

Slimbob
      Slimbob
      81XS1100SH

Comment

When I soaked my carbs in Pin-sol I did 3 parts Pin-sol and 1 part water. I soaked them over night but if they are bad you might leave them in for 2 days or so.
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

So they are in a 100% pinesol solution....planning to wait the 2 days. I took some before pictures so I will share the before and after on Sunday. Really hoping that this cleans every last orifice. Still need to hunt around for some grease fittings to be able to test the float height...that's the only other thing left that it could be before I start messing with the needle jets.
          79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Comment

So first of all I want to say that when your doing this take a metal rod and secure your floats to the bottom of the container. This allows you to double up and see if you have leaky floats Which in this case I was able to identify which of my total 8 are garbage (I have a full parts bike).

Now one thing I noticed is that it is all of the brass came out discolored. Very clean but discolored.

The cast metal its self had a film on it. I'm guessing that this is all of the junk that came off of the rest of the parts. I used some shop wipes and it all came off. And I got to say it looks really bare compared to what it looked like before.

Since I only dropped 5 of my floats in then didn't anchor them, and found that two of them were leaky I will give it a day with the remaining 6 completely submerged. Once I know I have a full set I will finish putting it back together so I can post the before and after's
            79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Comment

Yeah,
              Don't forget the pics.

I assume you are usiong compressed air to blow out all the little passages.

Good Luck. I'm anxious to see the results. Getting ready ro do mine.

Slimbob
              Slimbob
              81XS1100SH

Comment

Float checks

This is what you want to get. Take out farel and screw on top and they thread right into all our bowls and Tygon fuel line fits right on without any ties needed. Cost is cheep.
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

Working...
                X