Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

So I have been working on this bike for a while now and she starts up great when the choke is on. But when I push in the choke all the way it acts like it doesn't know if it wants to run or not. I doesn't die but it runs great for 2 seconds at 1K rpm then acts like its going to die for 2 seconds and it just repeats this cycle. I have the gauges on the carbs and their all at the same. I do notice that when I give it gas the compression is twice as much on the 1 & 2 cylinders. but 3 & 4 struggle to keep up. What do you guys think this might be? I'm thinking its maybe an air leak some where? Or maybe I need to take the carbs off and adjust the jet needle to run a little richer on the 3 & 4th?
    79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

For starters, your gonna have to pull the carb bank, pull the slide assemblies, float bowls, floats, pilot jets, main jets and emulsion tubes in that order and blow thru every orfice to make sure their open. Pay special attention to all the tiny sideholes of the pilot jets and emulsion tubes with a toothpick, no metal objects for cleaning of these brass components.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Confused

To help your problems down the road, find and put in E0 gas (non-ethanol) in the tank. It is not so easy to find, but it is worth the effort to do so. You can run the normal E10 during the riding season, but do not leave the bike sitting for any length of time with that in it. If you do, you will keep having the same issue over and over. E10 is public enemy number 1 of anything carbureted.

If you like practicing carburetor R&R&Rebuild, leaving E10 in the tank will get you lots of experience.

E10 - What a Crock! Worse News - E15 is soon to be here!

Mike
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

As a side note, e15 will not be here for at least 4 more years. The agricultural act of 2014 prevents distribution of E15 until at least 2018.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

thank god .whos bleeping idea was that anyway.e10 is a crock of crap you should see what happens when you park a car for a year
          when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
          80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

sounds like as others said you need to pull the carbs and do a complete cleaning. Get the enricher circuit in the bowl too and pull the emulsion tubes also. Clean everything! While apart, check the diaphrams for tiny pinholes, I don't know what symptoms the pinholes would have but my sx 750 has them and I need new diaphrams. the holes can be hard to see I checked them before and didn't see them.
            Jeff
            77 XS750 2D completely stock
            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Ethanol enriched fuel was to be a pollution remover but actually when all things are added together it actually increases carbon output when you add in all it takes for production. What it has done is caused people to buy newer more efficient engines for weed eaters lawn mowers tractors cars etc because of the damage done and the aggravation of too much maintenance keeping them running with E10.

As an add on make sure you have fuel filters added to the lines. The new E10 not only causes carb problems but also causes more rust in any metal tank for transport or storage. Therefore more trash for the carbs. Its hell when you get it clean and one tank of trashy gas can stop it up again.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by graybird78 View Post
                thank god .whos bleeping idea was that anyway.e10 is a crock of crap you should see what happens when you park a car for a year
                ........or my Venturer's carbs when I got disgusted with it leaving it under cover in the man-cave for a year.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

BTW, like I've stated in another thread, use of StarTron Enzyme treatment (1oz./gal) WILL resolve that issue if bike sits for extended times between uses.....BTDT, since the Bentley doesn't get regular riding duty.

Comment

What different meathods are there for a complete soaking?
                    79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Comment

Originally posted by nzemke View Post
                      What different meathods are there for a complete soaking?
                      Several......one being original PineSol, not a copy, heated somewhat before a "soak".

Comment

Thanks for the help, I will give that one a shot.
                        Last edited by nzemke; 06-25-2014, 11:12 PM.

Comment

MotoMan,
                          Will the PineSol eat seals or rubber?

Slimbob
                          Slimbob
                          81XS1100SH

Comment

Originally posted by Slimbob View Post
                            MotoMan,
                            Will the PineSol eat seals or rubber?

Slimbob
                            Nope.......its all good. No compressor I'd just rinse with really hot water so they would heat dry all the ports. BTW, when apart enough for cleanin', the only o- rings left intact are the fuel tee ones.

Comment

One little warning ,though.
                              If you leave the galvanized angle iron bar across the bottom of the carbs in place when you soak the bank of carbs, the Pine Sol will discolor it.
                              If you disassemble the carbs from the angle iron, then do not soak the angle.

CZ

Comment

Working...
                              X