Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 Engine in an 80 Frame

Hello,
    My 1980 is not running the greatest. I know someone who has just a 1979 engine. What would I need to do/change to get it to work with my wiring harness?
    1979 XS1100SF with a Jardine 4 into 1, ZRX 1200 carbs, 82 XJ rear air shocks, ACCT
    SOLD - 1980 XS1100SG with a Mac 4 into 1, ZRX 1200 carbs, round 160 speedo, 82 XJ rear air shocks, ACCT

Nothing that I know of, the 78 thru 80's are essentially plug and play with regards to the ignition/wiring harness. It's when you try to put an 81/82 into and earlier frame or vice versa that problems ensue!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: 79 Engine

Thanks for the info. Guess I need to go talk to my friend.
      1979 XS1100SF with a Jardine 4 into 1, ZRX 1200 carbs, 82 XJ rear air shocks, ACCT
      SOLD - 1980 XS1100SG with a Mac 4 into 1, ZRX 1200 carbs, round 160 speedo, 82 XJ rear air shocks, ACCT

Comment

Look at my signature.

It's a direct swap, no changes needed. I personally like the older carbs too.

That 79 engine will feel a little boggy under 3.5 - 4.5K but when it hits that power band hang on.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Look at my signature.

It's a direct swap, no changes needed. I personally like the older carbs too.

That 79 engine will feel a little boggy under 3.5 - 4.5K but when it hits that power band hang on.
          What about the other engines make it better than the '79 in terms of bogging down in that RPM range?
          78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
          79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

The newer engines (80 -81-XJ) have a milder cam grind with larger valves. The 78- 79 engines have an aggressive long duration, high lift grind but smaller intake valves.

They also have different timing curves to accommodate the different cams.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              The newer engines (80 -81-XJ) have a milder cam grind with larger valves. The 78- 79 engines have an aggressive long duration, high lift grind but smaller intake valves.

They also have different timing curves to accommodate the different cams.
              .....and of course TCI managed mechanical advance for timing and different TCI for 81's, and again a tottally different ignition for the XJ's.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                .....and of course TCI managed mechanical advance for timing and different TCI for 81's, and again a tottally different ignition for the XJ's.
                Yes Brant, but that has nothing to do with the question he asked.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                X