Fairing removal questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing removal questions.

Hi guys, I have a 1978 Standard with a windjammer fairing. I got a headlight from a forum member and now I wanna get this monstrosity off.

Question, as far as wiring goes..... what SHOULD I find when I remove it? There is a plug on the fairing's left hand side. I assume this harness is for headlight, and turn signals. Are their other leads as well or should I expect to cut the plug off and attach new bullets?

I would like to have some idea of what SHOULD be there, I know how unreliable POs are...

Thank you!
    78 E

Unplug the harness from the fairing then unbolt the fairing and remove. There may be a ground wire on one of the mounting bolts.

Once you've got the sucker off, you should be able to trace the harness back to the individual plugs for the headlight and turn signals/running lights.

Remember that all that needs to go inside the headlight bucket.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

is there a rubber grommet for the headlight bucket? Something to keep water away from all the wires?
      78 E

Comment

No grommet....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

As stated, that plug is apart of the wiring harness for the fairing. If it was done correctly the harness unplugs from the factory connectors back inside where the headlight bucket should be.

There may be a cup for the back of the headlight but there really should be a H4 headlight connector to plug into the headlight. It really doesn't get wet inside the bucket really that much.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

sometime there are two splices(usually blue clip ons), you just have to open those with a knife blade or screwdriver, but note which color goes where, or take few pics...you might decide you don't like buffeting that much
            Last edited by mikubuilder; 05-11-2014, 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

wiring will probably be in a vinyl draw string bag, hope you have the plastic bits and rubbers for the fork ear to bucket bolt ups
              where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
              Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will be sure to take plenty of pictures. For my own reference and to add to this thread.
                78 E

Comment

Alaskey2,
                  After disconnecting the fairing pig tail put it inside the fairing.
                  So you can find it after the first rain storm catches you on your lovely naked bike and you want your fairing back.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I live in Chicago. I go for 100 ft and the hit a red light for a minute. Farings don't help me in the rain. Nothing helps when you're just sitting still.
                    78 E

Comment

Working...
                    X