intake boot sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intake boot sealant

What is the sealant/glue I've seen some people fix their cracked intake boots with? I'm in need of something similar for intake boots of an idle air control valve on another project.

RTV Ultra Black.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Or plasti-dip. That's what I've used for intake boots and rubber car parts.
      BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
      80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Black rtv was my 1st go to but I figured there might be something better. What is plasti-dip? Is it available at parts store?

Comment

Adam,

Plasti-dip is available in a lot of places: Lowes, Ace Hardware, NAPA, Pep Boys and others. There's a spray version and a 'dip' version in a can with a screw top lid; just have to shop around.

Plasti-dip your motorcycle

-- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

A word of advice, if I may.
            You must get the rubber clean, and not just wiped off with a rag. Think inner tube repair. Clean with acetone or rubber inner tube cleaner, sand to roughen up the surface, clean again, and then apply.

CZ

Comment

3M super Weatherstrip this stuff stick to and holds almost anything
              http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glDQW4G37S0Bbl
              where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
              Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Another thing to do is smear a bit of RTV or similar between the boots and head. I think this is an often overlooked area for leaks. Also some dielectric grease or Sylglide where the carbs join the boots. Makes them far easier to put together and will seal any minor vacuum leaks there as well.
                Living to EXcess.
                1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Working...
                X