Cold Starting Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Starting Issue

Now that the bike is on the road starting it cold is a problem. Apply the choke and it floods. No choke and no throttle takes awhile. Floats do not leak as the IV bottle of gas was suspended 3 feet above the carbs on the bench. If the floats were to leak they would of. Petcocks are good. Been thru the carbs 3 times. Maybe I should of pulled the choke plungers to see if there is a problem there. In the meantime a couple squirts of starting fluid does the trick. When warm it's immediate a start. Runs so good and clean after warmed up. All stock jetting and the floats all at 25mm. 1978 XS1100E.

Plugs are burning great. kinda more white looking but unleaded fuel at higher speeds tend to do this I think. Backing off the throttle no backfire. Revving the engine from an idle it neither fall below or hangs up so it makes me think that the jetting is close to right.

All of the passage ways are clear including choke passages in the float bowl. Only thing that I have not done is remove the choke plungers. Others on here say that they start theirs with no choke. Every XS1100's in the hundreds over the years that I have ever been involved with needed the choke when cold.

Any feedback on where to start? Driving me crazy. LOL
    Last edited by Winterhawk; 04-17-2014, 03:27 PM.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

After doing a search I stumbled on a 2009 post and problem fix from John. Somebody had a similar problem and it ended up being the float bowl gaskets. Guess I have to pull them back off and check the float bowl gaskets for the right ones.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

You know its a two position choke, right?

The choke plungers have a small needle at one end and a rubber pad seal. You've not removed the plungers, you said, so presumably, you've not been able to check that aspect of things? I'm wondering if something I'd amiss in the plunger system...
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Found it. 2 of the 4 float bowl gasket were wrong. It now starts as it should. Full choke to half choke to warm up. Like I said out of the hundreds of XS1100's I have done over the years at JoCo Motors Yamaha, Volume Yamaha, Metropolitan Yamaha and Merriam Cycle I have never saw one start cold without the choke. Not sure why some of yours do. Might check the float gasket for the right ones. LOL

Comment

whats wrong with the gasket???. my sg will start without the choke.has hard time starting hot. have to hold throttle open to start
          when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
          80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Should be a hole in the top left of the gasket. I missed it twice as the gasket was stuck to the bowl. Didn't even think to check. Live and learn. The credit goes out to John in Texas,

I was searching old posts 2009 and sure enough he was right. Wrong gaskets.
            Gotta love this site

Comment

Originally posted by graybird78 View Post
              whats wrong with the gasket???. my sg will start without the choke.has hard time starting hot. have to hold throttle open to start
              Somebody suggested leaking float needles. Sounds like could be flooding a little, who knows? Sucks really bad to keep having to take the carbs off with the airbox and NOT finding a problem.

Some guys on here are lots better wrenches and troubleshooters than most working in the Dealerships for sure.

Comment

Got up this morning and a crisp 39 degrees. Put my 1st Gear Pants on and leather jacket. KBC full coverage with the blue mirror visor and gloves. Wheeled the XS1100 out the garage. Usually when all this gets done something is always wrong. Pulled the choke out all the way and hit the starter. Fired up immediately. Went to half choke and then let it warm up and rode off into the sunrise.

Cant believe it is fixed right. Thank You John XS-XJ Super Guru. I think you are the one who had the Jardine spaghetti pipes we traded many years ago. You live in Texas? You fixed my bike with the 2009 post on float gaskets covering the choke hole.

Comment

Working...
                X