No announcement yet.

Beating a dead horse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can tell you this: between the OEM pipes I have, versus the Mac set I took-off,
    I notice little difference in performance. The sound is night and day though. Of course, I'm not a tuner and may not be educated enough on the subject to know either way. I can promise you that my bike still ran like a raped ape in a cage with the Mac's on there . . .
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      I can tell you this: between the OEM pipes I have, versus the Mac set I took-off,
      I notice little difference in performance. The sound is night and day though. Of course, I'm not a tuner and may not be educated enough on the subject to know either way. I can promise you that my bike still ran like a raped ape in a cage with the Mac's on there . . .
      So does mine.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well, you guys nailed it. Took a closer look, and sure enough those are not stock at all, with clamp on pipes. No crossover underneath it.

Phooey!

That actually does make things easier, except the part where the pipe for #2 has been beaten in a few spots, so I need a new set for the right side at least.

I can't identify the make of the mufflers unfortunately.

So, this thing runs great already. Would it be safe to assume that since it runs so well, that a PO would've gotten the carbs tuned for the pipes?

At this point, I want to change the sound a bit, and build a crossover pipe for them. My bike doesn't have the center stand under it (though I do have it).

So here's where the conversation gets interesting for me:

I can build an H pipe for simplicity, or I could build a shallow breadth X system.

Which one would work more efficiently? A broader power band would be the top of the priority list, with fuel efficiency a close second.

~Revanoff~
        1980 3H5 XS1100G Standard Diamond Silver
        77k miles and going strong! Best free bike ever!

1962 Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp mini-bike!

Previous Hogs:
        1972 Honda SL350 K2 325cc
        1971 Kawasaki 350cc Bighorn 2 Stroke
        1981 Yamahahaha XS650 Special
        1981 Yamahahaha XJ550 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by revanoff2 View Post
          So, this thing runs great already. Would it be safe to assume that since it runs so well, that a PO would've gotten the carbs tuned for the pipes?

I can build an H pipe for simplicity, or I could build a shallow breadth X system.

Which one would work more efficiently? A broader power band would be the top of the priority list, with fuel efficiency a close second.

~Revanoff~
          Hey Revanoff,

When it comes to PO's you can't assume anything! These machines were tuned more leaner in the later years for emissions. My 81 had the OEM pipes, but me being young/dumb/stupid back then took them off and put on a 4-1 pipe, did NOT rejet it, it ran great, full rpm range and fair mileage in the 30+ range.

Aftermarket pipes flow a bit easier than OEM and so that could make things a little leaner with stock jetting. I thought I read that you were getting ~38 MPG...that's near the upper mileage range for these machines. As long as your plugs look good...some color and not bleach white, then it sounds like you have good jetting for the pipes now.

Now as for the power band....it really starts at 3500 up to 7500+. They do have torque in the lower rpms. I'm thinking you are meaning trying to get the most LOW RPM torque/power/throttle response you can get in the 1000-3500 range that folks report they miss or loose some when they put on aftermarket pipes....and/or Pod filters. You have stock airbox, so you still have the velocity stack affect. You do have mufflers, granted they are not stock, not double walled and so also do not have the level of "back pressure" restriction that the convoluted OEM pipes/mufflers have. It's been eluded to this "back pressure" as the reason for the low end grunt/torque. It's also been recently discussed that it's not so much back pressure, as the ability to reduce the "REVERSION WAVES" that cause the carbs to BURP due to improper harmonics in the exhaust system! See this recent thread:
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...2&postcount=11

SO....since you already have full length pipes, mufflers with some baffling, that most likely you already have what it takes to neutralize the reversion waves, and adding a crosspipe may not provide any additional performance benefit???

Other ways to increase the low rpm grunt has been to slghtly increase the static timing a few degrees(5), also richen up the pilot jet screws a tad. But just because these bikes can run at 1000 rpm doesn't mean that they will respond to throttle input with the same gusto from that point as they do from the 3500 rpm point!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yesterday I pulled off the mufflers and inspected to see if there were any markings. I was unable to find anything.

The way it runs now, I'm OK with what power it has down below, I just wanted a setup (aftermarket) that would be similar to the OEM setup. Now that I know I have an aftermarket setup anyways, I want to emulate the OEM setup for more power/efficiency than what I have currently. Looking into the mufflers yesterday, there seems to be a large restriction in it that worries me a slight amount.

The inside diameter of the actual muffler is smaller than the header pipes on the front of the engine, and it's not a smooth transition from the open part of the muffler to the restricted part. I'm wondering if that is causing some unneeded back pressure and subsequent reversion waves. I like the idea behind having a crossover pipe, the theory behind it seems like it would be benefical.

The only way to know for sure would be to get it on a Dyno and run the numbers.

I'll be doing some more research.

~Revanoff~

Previous Hogs:

Comment

Revanoff,

I sent you a PM, give me a call. I have a couple of different exhaust systems that I might be willing to part with. I'm sure we could fab something up for you.

Ride safe,
              Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Not sure if you have solved your problem yet or not with mufflers. You have Mac pipes so you may able to call Mac and get a set of Flare tip mufflers. The Flare tips have a pretty good sound but also the baffel is easy to remove and you can easily fabricate your own baffel controling the sound. My old tapper tip Mac's were rusted chrome mostly gone so I purchased a complete new set from a guy who had them setting. Flare tips fit right on to the headers you have. The baffel is very simplistic in design and I will say without baffel it will rattle your brain and call all the cops.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I won't run without mufflers... I like a little bit of noise, but it gets tiring after about 30 seconds!

I've got a lead on a spaghetti set with cross over, thinking that's the way that I will go.

~Bobby~

Previous Hogs:

Comment

Working...
                  X