Beating a dead horse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    If the second pic you have in this thread, then those are not stock pipes.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41793
    Hey Rev, apologies for accessing your photobucket library, but it was OPEN!

Here's another front view of his pipes...YEP, Not OEM.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Lowers the value until you turn it into this. I had a guy walk up and offer me $1400 for it on the spot. Fortunately, I said no .

78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
      79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

You'll never know why they were replaced...in my case on my XJ i had to replace the whole exhaust as it was rusted through headers and all...since i couldnt find an OEM XJ exhaust i had to go aftermarket...it was a progression from MAC,a cheap Jardine and finally a Kerker which took me 4 years to find...The kerker was badassed sounding as anything you'd want to hear...still missing that bike...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Steve

That supertrapp muffler looks awesome. I now have another bookmark to reference for a future project.... thanks for the post.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
            The kerker was badassed sounding as anything you'd want to hear...
            How do you know?
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The outlets on the Mac 2 into 4 are big. I haven't found a motorcycle muffler that fits. Mastermoto's Supertrapp looks to me like the perfect solution.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                the outlets on the mac 2 into 4 are big. I haven't found a motorcycle muffler that fits. Mastermoto's supertrapp looks to me like the perfect solution.
                2 1/4"......................
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  2 1/4"......................

Right. So, that leaves only Mac, correct? Unless you go to a car muffler as Mashermoto did.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

You can buy some after market stuff with adapters but it's kinda pricey....

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Mufflers...ies%20Page.htm
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have an old supertrapp race muff that has something like a 2.5" inlet. It came on a 4-1 that I bought a couple years ago.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

pipes

I have harley ( BOO!!!) fishtails on my 80G, sounds pretty good, might try that, works for me, a little loud, but not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980xs1100 View Post
                          I have harley ( BOO!!!) fishtails on my 80G, sounds pretty good, might try that, works for me, a little loud, but not bad.
                          The Harley mufflers won't fit on the Mac headers, unfortunately.

Yes, your bike sounds great!

Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by revanoff2 View Post
                            If cutting them off there ruins them, then I guess it puts that idea right out.

I'm certainly not looking to recreate the Harley sound , I tried that the super cheap way on my old 650 and it drove me up the wall.

The reason for suspecting the Harley pipes as a reasonable alternative is that they would be a cheaper option: Purchase, install and tuning. The way I understand it is that they don't relieve much back pressure, thus keeping tuning to a minimum.

I would like to keep the cross-over tube to eliminate any performance loss. Personally speaking, I can tell exactly when the engine gets to the power range, and I'd like to keep as much of what little power it has in the bottom end as possible. I don't need all out power with this thing

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to try and figure out (for me) how to build a useful cross over with a different set of mufflers. I'm a very visual and hands-on learner, so if someone were able to show me I would understand better/faster.

The issue with finding another set of pipes and modifying them to fit is the slim to none availability of them in my area, and I don't really want to fork out for a whole new set just to mess them up. The set I have is supposed to finance the new set!! lol

I wouldn't be totally against removing the entire system and replacing it, but I would need guidance on building the cross-over to be at least somewhat effective to keep my strict standards up.
                            I'm late to the discussion, but I'm still pondering crossover on MAC tubes...I thought there wasn't a crossover.
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

There was no crossover on Mac pipes, however, the crossover may be part of the mufflers he has on there.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                                I'm late to the discussion, but I'm still pondering crossover on MAC tubes...I thought there wasn't a crossover.
                                Nope, no crossover.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X