Beating a dead horse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating a dead horse..

Been doing a ton of searching, researching, and then re-searching.

Haven't been able to come up a good answer yet.

I have factory pipes on my bike (3H5) that are in pretty good shape. I would like more tone out of my exhaust, and slightly louder wouldn't be too bad either.

I've heard of people drilling some 1/4" holes in the back area of the pipe, and I've seen others who would probably slap the stupid out of me for doing so.

So here's what I'm after:

I would be more than happy to pull the current mufflers off and sell them (since apparently in good shape are made of unobtanium). What I'd like to do is try the Harley pipes I've heard of. The best possible situation for me would be to trade someone (in person) the pipes so I can get the new ones back on my bike (since I ride it as a daily) the same day.

I have the tools to cut/weld, make brakets, etc.

I don't even care about getting much $$$ out of the stock pipes, I'd be happy trading straight across. I certainly do not want to have to make Jetting changes, or anything else. This bike is almost as stock as stock gets, and all I want to change is the mufflers.

Is there anyone that can oblige?

Thank you,
    ~Revanoff2~
    Last edited by revanoff2; 04-08-2014, 03:02 PM.
    1980 3H5 XS1100G Standard Diamond Silver
    77k miles and going strong! Best free bike ever!

1962 Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp mini-bike!

Previous Hogs:
    1972 Honda SL350 K2 325cc
    1971 Kawasaki 350cc Bighorn 2 Stroke
    1981 Yamahahaha XS650 Special
    1981 Yamahahaha XJ550 Maxim

Since the 3h5 mufflers are welded to the collectors, you're going to ruin them by cutting them off. They are double walled and you'll never be able to weld both layers back up.

Why not get a MAC aftermarket system with a megaphone? I had to drill out the back end of the mufflers to put a 3h5 system on my XJ. I've tried two different ones on it and for some reason they don't breathe right for my bike. The two holes drilled out makes it sound like crap in my opinion.. Not loud or throaty, just a "pfffft" sound. Just something I had to do to make the bike run right, but always hated it.

I'd love to have the intact system you have if you decide to go a different way. My '81 really needs a good system. I've got a Jardine spaghetti 4-1 with a megaphone that is not too bad of shape, but one pipe has a ding in it.
    Last edited by trbig; 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Throwing an idea out there. I am considering a different exhaust-- a quieter more stock look. I am running this set-up on the photobucket page. Try the Funfan73 page. I'll try to see if it's up.

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/FU...?sort=3&page=1

It's the bell style with the chrome tips.
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

Well, the first thing you should know is almost any exhaust changes you might make will have a negative impact on performance. With the exception of a very few long-unavailable 4-1 aftermarket systems, the OEM exhaust will outperform pretty much anything else out there.

So I take it you're trying to do this on the cheap; I'd recommend trying to find a set of good 'standard' head pipes/collectors as these are a bit easier to 'adapt' other mufflers to because of the transition between the collectors and the mufflers. Keep in mind that Harley mufflers on a Yamaha won't give you 'Harley sound'...

If you are willing to expand the budget, here's probably the nicest 'home-brew' exhaust that's shown up here...
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...muffler&page=3
        Starting at post 42, Mashermoto goes through how he fitted a set of SuperTrapp mufflers to some MAC head pipes. The MAC pipes have the collector further back than most, but are larger diameter than the typical motorcycle muffler. The SuperTrapps can be 'tuned', another advantage. If I was determined to do something different from OEM, this is the direction I'd try....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Try the Harley muffs

Howdy Revanoff,,,you should try the Harley Dyan mufflers for a more growly sound. I put a set on a xs1100 and it sounded great, but since have sold that bike. I used Planedick's advice on the Harley Mufflers and if you do a search his name and advice on the Harley muffs should show up. I believe it was off the Dyna models and they bolted right on with a fabricated strap hangar. THere are tons of the Dyna Harley muffs either on Craigslist or Ebay. I cut off the old muff right before the crossover and the Harleys bolted right on with a Harley muff clamp. The sound is great, but I lost a little bottom end torque. THe stock mufflers are the best for performance, bar none, but the sound of the Harley Dyna muffs is extremely pleasing............Good luck,,,,Mike in SUn DIego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Almost forgot

Almost forgot,,,you might want to get a set of headers for you bike and just add the Harley Dyna mufflers and try them out so you dont regret changing the stock exhause. So, buy a set of headers, pipes or junk set of pipes and cut off the old mufflers where you need to and try out the Harleys first and then you can always change back if needed.............Mike
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

If cutting them off there ruins them, then I guess it puts that idea right out.

I'm certainly not looking to recreate the Harley sound , I tried that the super cheap way on my old 650 and it drove me up the wall.

The reason for suspecting the Harley pipes as a reasonable alternative is that they would be a cheaper option: Purchase, install and tuning. The way I understand it is that they don't relieve much back pressure, thus keeping tuning to a minimum.

I would like to keep the cross-over tube to eliminate any performance loss. Personally speaking, I can tell exactly when the engine gets to the power range, and I'd like to keep as much of what little power it has in the bottom end as possible. I don't need all out power with this thing

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to try and figure out (for me) how to build a useful cross over with a different set of mufflers. I'm a very visual and hands-on learner, so if someone were able to show me I would understand better/faster.

The issue with finding another set of pipes and modifying them to fit is the slim to none availability of them in my area, and I don't really want to fork out for a whole new set just to mess them up. The set I have is supposed to finance the new set!! lol

I wouldn't be totally against removing the entire system and replacing it, but I would need guidance on building the cross-over to be at least somewhat effective to keep my strict standards up.
              1980 3H5 XS1100G Standard Diamond Silver
              77k miles and going strong! Best free bike ever!

1962 Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp mini-bike!

Previous Hogs:
              1972 Honda SL350 K2 325cc
              1971 Kawasaki 350cc Bighorn 2 Stroke
              1981 Yamahahaha XS650 Special
              1981 Yamahahaha XJ550 Maxim

Comment

If the second pic you have in this thread, then those are not stock pipes.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41793
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

+1.......looks like already HDed.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I run dual mac headers with straight pipes just fine. Sounds great and looks even better.
                    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
                      I run dual mac headers with straight pipes just fine. Sounds great and looks even better.
                      LOUD!
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by revanoff2 View Post
                        If cutting them off there ruins them, then I guess it puts that idea right out.

I'm certainly not looking to recreate the Harley sound , I tried that the super cheap way on my old 650 and it drove me up the wall.

The reason for suspecting the Harley pipes as a reasonable alternative is that they would be a cheaper option: Purchase, install and tuning. The way I understand it is that they don't relieve much back pressure, thus keeping tuning to a minimum.

I would like to keep the cross-over tube to eliminate any performance loss. Personally speaking, I can tell exactly when the engine gets to the power range, and I'd like to keep as much of what little power it has in the bottom end as possible. I don't need all out power with this thing

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to try and figure out (for me) how to build a useful cross over with a different set of mufflers. I'm a very visual and hands-on learner, so if someone were able to show me I would understand better/faster.

The issue with finding another set of pipes and modifying them to fit is the slim to none availability of them in my area, and I don't really want to fork out for a whole new set just to mess them up. The set I have is supposed to finance the new set!! lol

I wouldn't be totally against removing the entire system and replacing it, but I would need guidance on building the cross-over to be at least somewhat effective to keep my strict standards up.
                        Originally posted by natemoen View Post

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41793
                        If those are the pipes you have on you bike in that second pic like Nate says, that is a Mac 4 into 2 with taper tip mufflers. I had the taper tips on mine for a while and I agree, they are TOO quiet.

If you click on the links in my signature you'll see I have the Mac system the same as yours but with the turn outs. They sound much better.

They are easy to change out and every now and then they will pop up on ebay. The flare tip muffs fall somewhere in between the tapers and the turn outs.

They are a 2 1/4" inlet.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          Nope, not stock. Looks like MACs with maybe a different muffler fitted. But the mufflers do look like they're removable, so you have options...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

headers

I have a set of headers here from a stock set that were cut off. I bought them for a fall back but don't need them. You can graft on what ever you like. $20.00 plus shipping. PM if your interested. I can take a picture but I'm having trouble with my PB right now.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA
                            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                            Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

Dead Horse

Looks like your best bet to change your sound is to go with another complete exhaust system. Two things will happen as a result - performance will drop off and you will lessen the value of the bike. If you do change it out, I strongly recommend that you keep the original set to sell with the bike later on.

I have bought a few bikes that the PO had changed the exhaust and not kept the original - Bummer!
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment