No announcement yet.

Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you certain the oil is leaking from inside the alternator cover? Not running down from maybe the base gasket.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Oil Leak

It seems to drip right out of the Alt cover where there is a small hole in the bottom and when i opened it last there was small oil puddles in the ribs
      80 XS11

Comment

Clean the inside of the chamber out with carb cleaner, put it back together, run around 3 or 4 blocks, come back and take the cover off, get a small pile of talcum powder in your hand, take a straw, and blow powder all over the inside of the chamber. You will see where the oil came from by where the powder sticks.

CZ

Comment

Oil Leak

So I did the powder test, it looks like there are two small leaks on the bottom side of the new seal I installed, is there any other options out there than to rip the seal out and start over, ( i tried RTV, it didn't work), if i have to get a new seal again anyone have a better option than the OEM seal ?
          80 XS11

Comment

Can you tell if it's leaking from the lip (sealing surface against the crankshaft) or from the edge where it seats in the case.?
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Oil Leak

it looks like its leaking on the outside of the seal or the case side, Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on a slightly larger seal, it just did not seem to tight when i installed it?
              80 XS11

Comment

Is this the seal they sold you?

http://cdn.partzilla.com/label/YP-93101-32144-00.gif
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Oil Leak

Yes it is. Right from the dealer
                  80 XS11

Comment

Leak

Try another seal. Drain the oil or tilt the bike so no oil is running out. Remove old seal and clean the case with brakekleen or equivalent. Let dry. Use Ultra Grey RTV (Permatex) silicone sealeant in the case where seal goes - outside diameter of seal. Let dry over night.

Mike
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hold on a little bit on that ginger. I think I remember someone else having a similar issue and they found an after market seal that fit better.

Give me just a little time and I'll find out. Trying to contact them now.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

These are double lipped seals that I've been using.

They're kind of hard to find online. When I ordered mine back in late 2011, I got a half dozen each and they were a little over $4 a piece with just $6 shipping. I finally found them from ABXBearings dot com. You'll have to contact them. I dealt with Nicole.. a lovely person and super nice. Looking at their contact page, I now see she's not bad looking either! lol.. http://abxbearings.com/contact.html

Just email her and tell her you're looking for TCM seals 32x45x7TC and 32x48x8TC. If they have any in stock still, she'll fix you up!
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks Tod
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Oil Leak

Is it right to assume one size is for the right and the other is for the left,if so which is which also do these install without splitting the cases?
                            80 XS11

Comment

Yes, one side is for the left and the other for the right. I just don't remember right off hand which side is the larger side (48mm) and which is smaller (45mm). I do remember that one of the parts lists is wrong.. I think on the '78.. but it shows the wrong size going to the wrong side. I can tell you after I get home for sure. But yes, you just tap these in, no case splitting. I like to coat the outside of them (Where yours seems to be leaking) with some type of Yamaha approved sealant like Yamabond or Threebond 1194.

These seals are slightly different thickness than OEM. Over the years, the crank rotating against the grit on the old seal can cause a slight groove to be worn into the crank. And as stated, these seals have two sealing lips on them, not just one like OEM, so there's a better chance of sealing as well as those lips will ride on a spot on the crank that hasn't been damaged.
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oil Leak

the only one I have leaking at this time is the right side, I thought I read somewhere this was the smaller on, if anyone can confirm that I would sure appreciate it. It seems I could get that seal locally, I live in a pretty large urban area
                                80 XS11

Comment

Working...
                                X