Great News - Bike Runs!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great News - Bike Runs!!

Last night I did the timing chain tension adjustment and tried to start with full choke - started but quit after 5 seconds. Went to bed.... Tonight I thought I'd try it without choke so I gave it 2 throttles of gas and it popped right off... and stayed running for the first time in over 2 years! I ran it for a few minutes, revved it a few times and held it there to clean out the cylinders, then shut it down and checked the plugs. Cylinders 1 & 2 are real hot. #3 wasn't firing before but is now. So is my best bet to adjust idle mixture screws to enrichen the 2 left carbs? What doesn't make sense to me is that it started and ran with no choke, which seems like it's rich, but the 2 left cylinders ran extremely hot.

Any ideas???

Thanks for everyone's comments through the last few weeks. I'm new to motorcycling and am very anxious to get this thing on the road. I never would have been able to get this far without the help from people on this site!!

At least now I know I've got something...

Tom B.

It sounds as if you might have a fuel delivery problem. Those cylinder pairs are fed by the same petcock. A petcock screen tower could be plugged, an inline filter plugged, or if it is a standard model, the vacuum actuator hose could have a hole in it, or some OTHER issue could exist (this is called standard disclaimer, otherwise known as "wishywashyness").
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Wishywashyness...

Adverb: To sound like you know what you're talking about, when actually you don't have a clue
      (Ducking and running...very fast)

Comment

runs

Great news. good to here.give yourself a thataboy. sounds like your getting there. sounds like now just a question of some adjustments to carbs. try using some carb cleaner to see if makes any difference. if engine speeds up carb is lean. if engine stumbles carb is rich. not much diff one way or the other carb is just about right.hang in there
        when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
        80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
        X