DIY Tire replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Tire replacement

I've decidd I'm ready to try doing the tire replacement and balancing myself on my '80 SG. Done enough dirtbikes, I feel I should be able to acomplish the same thing with my street bikes. Have a question tho, about the brake discs. I know they're very fragile, and I don't want to do any damage while fighting with installing the new tires. Does/has anyone just removed the disc(s) from the wheel prior to removal/replacement of the tires? I imagine it would be a good idea to mark them, so I put them back on in the same place, but what do you folks think?
    Nothing like a ride on a straight 4.

Or toying with death on my 1983 Maico 490 Spider. Only fractured 3 bones so far.

I wouldn't think rotor removal is needed. I would, however lay some thick cardboard or, an old blanket on the floor to protect the rotors. The 80 SG has slotted rotors, and they are stamped R or L, so they won't be confused, and there only 3 positions they can be installed. If you have dirt bike experience, then the XS shouldn't be much of a problem. Just don't go wailing on the wheels with a hammer.

Comment

I haven't tried this myself yet, but here is a pretty good article on changing your own tires. Motorcycle Tire Changing
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

I used a 14 inch tire rim with a split air hose around the bead for protection. The rotors fit into the rim and never get touched. To break the bead put 2x4 under the rim on either side to keep rotor off the floor.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

yeah, I figured that would work, but I just wondered if anyone had ever just takken the rotors off to avoid possible accidents. Of course, I suppose if I went to all that trouble to take care of the rotors, they'd end up falling off the workbench and warping or something like that! lol I suppose I'll just stick to what's worked for others, and take my time... patience. Saves me every time I exercise it.
          Nothing like a ride on a straight 4.

Or toying with death on my 1983 Maico 490 Spider. Only fractured 3 bones so far.

Comment

I've never worried about the rotors, they are made of steel plates afterall. I've changed a number of tires by just laying the wheel on the back steps. Sometimes I have to use a bead breaker to get them loose though.
            BTW, I found a cheap place to get tires, at the local Harley dealers. A lot of Harleys use the same size tires and they usually have some nearly new take-offs for $25 or so.
            72 TS185
            77 XS750
            78 SR500
            80 XS850
            80 XS1100 Midnight Special
            81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

I usually only work with the wheel sitting on an old tire not to save the rotor but to keep it from rocking when I'm woking the irons. If you do scratch the rotors, the pads will shine them back up.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

To make life very much easier, pick a sunny day and let the new tire sit in the sun a while.

Goes on MUCH easier.
                CUAgain,
                Daniel Meyer
                Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonrider
                  To make life very much easier, pick a sunny day and let the new tire sit in the sun a while.

Goes on MUCH easier.
                  Must be nice to have sunny days .
                  Gary Granger
                  Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                  2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I use a 20 gallon oil drum
                    with the top cut off
                    put some hose around the edge to protect the spokes
                    the brake disk should fit right in and the outside of the barrel hits aganist the spokes
                    http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                    78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                    78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                    78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                    79F Parts
                    80G Parts
                    75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Working...
                    X