79 standard rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 standard rear tire

Ok so I threw in a 120/90-17 about 2500 miles ago and my tires at the wear bar already. She's a DD and bt45 High perf. Tires are pretty soft. I had mocked up shinko 777 130/90-16 last time and they BARELY fit, I was definitely afraid of the swing arm rubbing the tire. TC'S write up says it's the right size though. So I'm confused why it's such a tight fit. Is it the shinkos low pro sidewall? It's almost impossible to find 120/90-17's and I can't even get the bt45 anymore. Thoughts?
    79 XS1100
    fj1200 carbs
    Dyna green coils
    2nd gear fix
    Frame cut w/ 06 nightster seat
    RPM dual UNI pod filters, open headers
    Clubman bars, drag specialties speedo, xj headlamp
    Deleted fenders, Barnett springs
    23 Yrs. old livin' life at 125mph

I have no Shinko experience, but tire widths are rarely accurate. Of the tires I've measured, the Metzeler ran wide, the Dunlop and Pirelli ran narrow, and the Bridgestone was the most true to size. This was done on a 100/90-19 front tire. Rear tire measurements might yield entirely different results. All that being said, I would be surprised if any 130/90-17 rear tire failed to fit your bike. If it doesn't fit, I expect someone would have posted it to the forum.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Try a shinko 712 rear 130/90/17, will fit between swingarm no problem, lasts about 6-7K with normal semi aggressive riding, about $60. JMHO
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Murphyslaw View Post
        Ok so I threw in a 120/90-17 about 2500 miles ago and my tires at the wear bar already. She's a DD and bt45 High perf. Tires are pretty soft. I had mocked up shinko 777 130/90-16 last time and they BARELY fit, I was definitely afraid of the swing arm rubbing the tire. TC'S write up says it's the right size though. So I'm confused why it's such a tight fit. Is it the shinkos low pro sidewall? It's almost impossible to find 120/90-17's and I can't even get the bt45 anymore. Thoughts?
        The tight fit is probably 'cause your installing a 16" tire on a 17" rim.
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

It's also possible that your swing arm may be over to the right side too much, it has about 10mm of adjustment from side to side, JAT
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            It's also possible that your swing arm may be over to the right side too much, it has about 10mm of adjustment from side to side, JAT
            Hey Phil,

I've seen this statement a couple of times recently, but with regards to the tire rubbing situation, it doesn't make sense( to ME) ....the swingarm position should not affect the tire/wheel's position within the swingarm/final drive assembly. The tire will rub or not against the INSIDE edge of the swingarm depending on the tire's width. When it's mounted on the rim, and to the Final Drive, it's solidly affixed to the FD/swingarm assembly. Adjusting the swingarm sideways in the Frame/bearing supports will only move the entire swingarm assembly AND the wheel within it, but will NOT change the spacing between the side of the tire/wheel and the left arm of the swingarm where it narrows to allow the tire/wheel to spin past it!?!?

The only thing that I've found can change the wheel position within the swingarm assembly is to place some shims/washer UNDER/between the FD wheel hub that bolts to the wheel rim and the rim. That will position the wheel a few mm's to the right side...away from the FD and also from the left indented swingarm shaft.

Is there something I'm missing regarding the swingarm lateral adjustment?

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes, you are correct TC, my bad. Yep, the washers under the drive would move the rim/tire over.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

A 120/90-17 is too small for the XS, and that's one reason for the poor wear... Look here:
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36698
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So schming..how would I have mocked up a 16 inch tire on my bike without having it on a wheel? As you know many people change rear wheel size to a 16 on the standards. anyway I ended up grabbing a michelin activ 130/90-17 cuz I had a pretty massive amazon credit. So we'll see how it works when I decide to ditch the battlax. Idk if it's the tube in a tubeless tire or not but I think this tire wore so quick cuz I lost air quite frequently. Also to prevent future questions as to why I ditched the 16, it took 35 grams to balance the wheel the PO had put on a 120 and I just wasn't comfortable with the hairs width of light between the tire and swing arm with the 130 but I know a lot of u guys say that's just how it is so.....If I crash from an exploding tire, thanks guys! Haha jk.
                  79 XS1100
                  fj1200 carbs
                  Dyna green coils
                  2nd gear fix

Comment

Also, I've never been comfortable with shimming the wheel hub? Idk if it's just me but it just seems the wheel hub only has about a half inch (straight guesstimation) of room that sits against the FD. Also I don't like messing with the bikes geometry too much by adjusting the offset of the wheel/tire. Nobody has had issues with shimming when it comes to feeling in a hard lean?
                    79 XS1100
                    fj1200 carbs
                    Dyna green coils
                    2nd gear fix

Comment

So schming..how would I have mocked up a 16 inch tire on my bike without having it on a wheel? As you know many people change rear wheel size to a 16 on the standards. anyway I ended up grabbing a michelin activ 130/90-17 cuz I had a pretty massive amazon credit. So we'll see how it works when I decide to ditch the battlax. Idk if it's the tube in a tubeless tire or not but I think this tire wore so quick cuz I lost air quite frequently. Also to prevent future questions as to why I ditched the 16, it took 35 grams to balance the wheel the PO had put on a 120 and I just wasn't comfortable with the hairs width of light between the tire and swing arm with the 130 but I know a lot of u guys say that's just how it is so.....If I crash from an exploding tire, thanks guys! Haha jk.
                      From your first post, I got the impression you were trying to install a 16" tire on a 17" wheel. My bad
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Haha I was a mechanic for about 5 years. Worked for chappy nissan. I hope I'd know what a tire is and how they work. It's all goooddd
                        79 XS1100
                        fj1200 carbs
                        Dyna green coils
                        2nd gear fix

Comment

So, just S&Gs I will ask if you know that when switching from 17" wheel to 16" wheel you need to swap spacers, and brake arm as well.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Also, I've never been comfortable with shimming the wheel hub? Idk if it's just me but it just seems the wheel hub only has about a half inch (straight guesstimation) of room that sits against the FD. Also I don't like messing with the bikes geometry too much by adjusting the offset of the wheel/tire. Nobody has had issues with shimming when it comes to feeling in a hard lean?
                            Hey Murphy,

The shims are between the FD spline assembly and the Wheel Rim. The FD spline assembly still maintains FULL interface with the FD, it's just that the whee/rim is positioned a few mm's more to the right away from the FD. The FD spline assembly has the large O-ring/seal and such that engages/interfaces with the FD itself....the Rim is just there along for the ride so to speak. And I do a lot of aggressive riding, no difference in handling.

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes. Swap was done correctly. Also TC, yeah I know the FD spline remains with the fd. Just that it offsets the position of the wheel on the spline as u stated. I suppose even with it sitting slightly less on that spline doesn't matter cuz if you're gonna have issues with it. Being spaced a few mm's over is prob. Not the cause and the least of your worries at that moment haha.
                              79 XS1100
                              fj1200 carbs
                              Dyna green coils
                              2nd gear fix

Comment

Working...
                              X