XJ11 brake issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 brake issue

So I went to start the bike up to take it for a spin because we had a nice day here in Richmond, Va. After putting the battery in it started first time no problem. I went to take it off the center stand and I couldn't move it. Turns out both front disk brakes and the rear disk brake a locked solid. The rear brake pedal controls the back and the front as well. And of course it has the normal front brake lever on the handlebar. The pedal is really hard to push down, almost no movement. The is absolutely no pressure in the brake lever. I thought maybe the brake fluid leaked out but both MCs have fluid in them. I can't really afford to take it to a mechanic. Any ideas?
    82 XJ11

Yes, the XJ has a linked brake system. The rear master controls the rear and IIRC the left front calipers. There is a small return hole in the master cylinder commonly referred to here at XS11 as the spooge hole. When dirt in the system plugs it up, the fluid can not return to the MC from the calipers. The result is your brakes stay on after you release the pedal. So your brake pedal has no movement because the system is already pressurized.

The front MC controls the other front caliper. From the sound of it, that system is not working at all. But your front wheel will not turn because the rear system has the other front caliper locked on.

Best solution is clean the calipers and the MCs of both systems. Most often a good cleaning is all that is needed, and you can reuse all the rubber seals. So all it cost is your time and some brake fluid.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

As a quick check to see if that is the problem, loosen and then tighten the bleed screw on each caliper. If some fluid comes out, and the wheels are looser, follow the instructions in the previous post.

CZ

Comment

Make sure rear brake pedal isn't hanging up on its pivot. Corrosion build-up/rust can restrict its free movement......JAT.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessSynd View Post
          So I went to start the bike up to take it for a spin because we had a nice day here in Richmond, Va. After putting the battery in it started first time no problem. I went to take it off the center stand and I couldn't move it. Turns out both front disk brakes and the rear disk brake a locked solid. The rear brake pedal controls the back and the front as well. And of course it has the normal front brake lever on the handlebar. The pedal is really hard to push down, almost no movement. The is absolutely no pressure in the brake lever. I thought maybe the brake fluid leaked out but both MCs have fluid in them. I can't really afford to take it to a mechanic. Any ideas?
          Hi Matt and welcome,
          like the previous posts say; m/c spooge hole blocked &/or rear brake pedal seized on it's pivot.
          And even if you could afford to pay a mechanic it's highly likely that he'd know less about a 30+ year old bike than you do.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I am going to attempt to bleed and then clean the MCs and the caliper tomorrow . It will be my first time doing something like this. Any tips or suggestions?
            82 XJ11

Comment

First remove the caliper from its mount, then you can use the master cylinder (push pedal or squeeze lever) to push the piston out of the caliper.

On your rear system, do this for one caliper, remove the banjo bolt (bolt holding the line to the caliper) and I use a piece of rubber and a clamp over the hose fitting the banjo bolt goes through to seal off that line. Now you can use the MC to push the other piston out of the other caliper.

As to cleaning, make sure you pull the seal out of the caliper (O-ring inside the caliper) and clean...clean...clean behind it. Get it as close to spotless as you humanly can behind there. That is the biggest reason for brake system issues on these bikes, gunk built up behind those seals.

Pay attention to the position and direction of all the seals and components in the MC as you pull it apart.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

so it looks like to left front bleeder valve was completely rounded from the previous owner. I tried pliers and grips and it wouldn't budge. Any ideas?
                82 XJ11

Comment

if you have a torch, heat up the caliper around it. hit it with some pb blaster or kano oil. grab it with some vise grips and turn it
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Tap it with a mammer

Gently tap the top of the bleeder with a hammer before attempting to remove. Does not matter at this point if you mushroom the bleeder.
                    Vance
                    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                    85 Honda v65 Magna
                    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                    02 Road King (retirement gift)
                    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Working...
                    X